Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Mikado Logo Helicopters > Mikado Logo 800 Xxtreme

Mikado Logo 800 Xxtreme Mikado Logo 800 Xxtreme Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 7S charger setup!

Hey guys, I am really interested in getting the PL8 charger to charge the 7s packs. I am what I would say quite comfortable with chargers and batteries, however I have never dealt with a 7s pack. I am currently using a 306b icharger and am quite happy, and could just go with the 310b, but would like to try the PL8. I don't plan on running the TP packs, and will just stick with the HK packs for now. I understand the new 7s HK packs have 2 balance taps, which I am guessing just need to be plugged in, in a certain order. So I am looking for a little direction. I would like to charge a minimum of 2-7s packs, preferably 6 (like a lot of the parrallel charge boards allow), but 2 is most important. I will need adapters of some sort for the HK packs, and I will also need to charge 2s-6s packs too.....So, is there anyone out there currently doing this? I see a lot of folks are using the 310b, and most if not all are using the TP packs.....thanks in advance.....Jake
jakeg1999 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 12:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The pl8 seems more sensitive to batteries that arent balanced well and you have to go threw a few more screens to get to the charging lots of extra features and saftey features.

I like the Icharger 3010b myself easy to use, gets to charging fast, simple, they are both good chargers but I like the Icharger, get a balance board and par balance cables with the par charge cables.
jhheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 02:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

go for the PL8 you will not regret it flexible and easy and most of all safe. I have 2 of them just thinking of getting the new MPA boards too.
Dwyn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I too had pre emptively purchased a 208 and 3010 icharger for my 7S packs but sold both of them after talking to the Australian Hyperion distributor. He suggested that charging and balancing the whole 14S flight pack as one, instead of two separate 7S packs, is better for the longevity and performance of the pack.

With that said, I now have two Hyperion EOS1420 chargers, I got one from Allerc for the great price of $129.95. I run them off a Meanwell 600W 24V power supply.
Jays200 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I think I'm just going to order the pl8 on Monday. Thanks for the feedback. I'm also going to go with the MPA balance board.
jakeg1999 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays200 View Post
I too had pre emptively purchased a 208 and 3010 icharger for my 7S packs but sold both of them after talking to the Australian Hyperion distributor. He suggested that charging and balancing the whole 14S flight pack as one, instead of two separate 7S packs, is better for the longevity and performance of the pack.

With that said, I now have two Hyperion EOS1420 chargers, I got one from Allerc for the great price of $129.95. I run them off a Meanwell 600W 24V power supply.
Jays, thanks to your post and a good Aussie dollar I now have 2 EOS1420's on the way. I reckon I'll be using a Meanwell the same as Cruddbucket Luke in a custom Pelican case as my charging setup.

Thanks again for the tip on the price.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

No worries.

Hopefully, our LHS gets the message about competition, but I doubt it. AlleRC were great with their customer service. I also ordered a 2S Rx Hyperion pack which arrived with a dead cell and Bob included a replacement with my charger without the need for me to return it to the US. Communication was excellent and outcome was great. Glad you had a positive experience too.

The guys at the club were drooling over my Xxtreme this morning for its first public outing. I'm really only an "advanced" sport flyer but it's a very nice heli. There are only four in Australia and mine's the only one in Western Australia so far.

Regards,

Jayson
Jays200 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 05:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

PowerLab 8 with a home made balance board.

Can charge 8x 6s packs at once with ease.

Have since bought the PAR board for charging my 7s packs.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Smile

Busterboy, do the lights dim when you crank that up. Lol.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeg1999 View Post
I don't plan on running the TP packs, and will just stick with the HK packs for now. I understand the new 7s HK packs have 2 balance taps, which I am guessing just need to be plugged in, in a certain order. So I am looking for a little direction. I would like to charge a minimum of 2-7s packs, preferably 6 (like a lot of the parrallel charge boards allow), but 2 is most important. I will need adapters of some sort for the HK packs, and I will also need to charge 2s-6s packs too.....So, is there anyone out there currently doing this? I see a lot of folks are using the 310b, and most if not all are using the TP packs.....thanks in advance.....Jake
I don't know why HK / Turnigy / nano-tech has 2 balance taps for their 7s packs. The product page says that the balance plug is JST-XH, but a 7s JST-XH plug is a single plug. See the pic of the MPA board below.

BTW, you should call David at ProgressiveRC; he might know what the story is with those 2 balance plugs. He also has the MPA boards in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeg1999 View Post
I think I'm just going to order the pl8 on Monday. Thanks for the feedback. I'm also going to go with the MPA balance board.
Good choice! I like all of the safety features on this charger. Sure, there might be a few more button presses to get things going, but if anything even smells like it might be trouble, the charger doesn't let you proceed, or it shuts down if you're already charging.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MPA Board.jpg
Views:	2438
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	293885  
ElectricSheep is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm in the same boat I already have a PL8 and will like to use cheaper packs (Gens Ace 4+3s 5300) here's a good thread that explains how to convert them to a single 7s plug.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=390158

Problem with the MPA board is that it only comes with deans so you'll also have to make adapters for that if using EC5's.

epc2.
epc2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 02:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by epc2 View Post
Problem with the MPA board is that it only comes with deans so you'll also have to make adapters for that if using EC5's.
Doesn't take too long once you get the connectors.

I can see why they made them this way actually because the strain of pulling EC5 connectors from the board on many occasions will fracture the board.

Leaving the Deans on the board eliminates stress on the board.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricSheep View Post
I don't know why HK / Turnigy / nano-tech has 2 balance taps for their 7s packs. The product page says that the balance plug is JST-XH, but a 7s JST-XH plug is a single plug. See the pic of the MPA board below.
OK, this makes sense now. I'm assuming that the nano-techs are shipped as a split pack (there should be a main lead-sized jumper on the pack to connect the 3S and 4S packs in series to make the single pack).

I just got a set of Hyperion 7S 5000 packs in the mail yesterday and they're split packs. The nice thing is that the Hyperion packs come with the Y-adapter:

Yeah, it looks like a bit of a mess right now, but I'll just solder the jumper/series wire directly together and remove all of those sticker labels. You just need to match the number of wires from the pack's balance plug to the Y-adapter plug that has the same number of wires. I'll make it even easier and color the 4S balance plugs (on the pack and Y-adapter) red. Or whatever brightest color my kids have in their marker box.

Another bonus here is that the Hyperion balance plug has the same pin spacing and wiring as a JST-XH plug so I can plug it right into the MPA board. It fits perfectly.

The only difference is that the Hyperion plug has a locking tab, which I might just cut off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epc2 View Post
I'm in the same boat I already have a PL8 and will like to use cheaper packs (Gens Ace 4+3s 5300) here's a good thread that explains how to convert them to a single 7s plug.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=390158

epc2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by busterboy View Post
Doesn't take too long once you get the connectors.

I can see why they made them this way actually because the strain of pulling EC5 connectors from the board on many occasions will fracture the board.

Leaving the Deans on the board eliminates stress on the board.
+1!
I actually like that you're not yanking an EC5 off the board after every charge.

Also, having the Deans to EC5 adapter wire allows you to space the batteries (apart) better. I have a Paraboard and it was always a tight fit when I connected the packs' balance plug and main lead directly to the board -- some of the packs were pushing up against the board because the leads were too short. (BTW, I never liked the fact that those Paraboards didn't have any fuses. Goodbye Paraboard!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hyperion 7S.JPG
Views:	945
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	294879  
ElectricSheep is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in