Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Century

Century Century Helicopters Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 07:21 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

6S 5000 packs are the norm for this size heli.
Greybird is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybird View Post
6S 5000 packs are the norm for this size heli.
5000mah... how long flight you get? 4 min flight is fine with me.
so 2 2200mah cells wouldnt work in this? I am guessing its rather larger then the trex500

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 07:28 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoweredrc View Post
I have been looking for a 500 seized heli, someone pointed out this one, I never even looked into them before. is there a good site online that sells parts? so is this heli not released yet the NX that is?

what motor esc most run? how much power does it need?
The trex and clones run 425 blades I see this one take 500 is that only size it can run or can you run smaller?
what kinda headspeed you supposed to run and servos?

I was going to build a trex500 clone and run cheap MG930 servos from HK.
and a 80amp esc Plush

I was going to use 6 cell A123 2300mah in my 500 clone you guys think it be gto much weight for this thing?

Thanks for any and all info
There is a lot of confusion now in the ratings of the electric helis - it seems those brands that started with the more toy like electric helis use MOTOR size ( e.g. 450 using 325mm blades, 500 using 425mm blades) to class their helis.

Most of the brands that have been around much longer and that started manufacturing nito and gas powered helis 20+ years ago, use BLADE size.

So as you can see here (I believe Century has been making helis for over 20 years), their electric helis are classed more along blade size. The 550NX using 520mm to 560mm blades and their 620SE using 6210 to 620mm blades.

Consequently this 550NX is a fair bit bigger then a T500 for example. It is more of the same size as a 30 nitro (Hawk, Shuttle, Raptor 30, Venture 30), but witha better power to weight ratio then most 50 nitro helis.

you will find the bigger they are, the better they fly.
ngin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngin View Post
There is a lot of confusion now in the ratings of the electric helis - it seems those brands that started with the more toy like electric helis use MOTOR size ( e.g. 450 using 325mm blades, 500 using 425mm blades) to class their helis.

Most of the brands that have been around much longer and that started manufacturing nito and gas powered helis 20+ years ago, use BLADE size.

So as you can see here (I believe Century has been making helis for over 20 years), their electric helis are classed more along blade size. The 550NX using 520mm to 560mm blades and their 620SE using 6210 to 620mm blades.

Consequently this 550NX is a fair bit bigger then a T500 for example. It is more of the same size as a 30 nitro (Hawk, Shuttle, Raptor 30, Venture 30), but witha better power to weight ratio then most 50 nitro helis.

you will find the bigger they are, the better they fly.
so this Swift NX and Swift 16 uses 550 blades so its closer to the size of a trex600 then just did quick look they say it uses 600mm blades thanks

Old 06-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can get one of these flying for less than Trex 500...
Old 06-02-2010, 07:58 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
You can get one of these flying for less than Trex 500...
Well a trex is like $350 for just frame if you find someone selling one. $500 for heli + servos but i like know what servos people are using. i hope someone says some for around $25 a piece.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:19 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have one Swift with Futaba digital 3151's. $29 each. They work fine.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:35 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I have one Swift with Futaba digital 3151's. $29 each. They work fine.
Thanks, thats not too bad, i was watching the finless build videos for the switf lastnight man this heli looks nice. I know its not the NX version but still man nice and big where things are easy to put together unlike my Blade 400 and blade CP

Old 06-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
5000mah... how long flight you get? 4 min flight is fine with me.
so 2 2200mah cells wouldnt work in this? I am guessing its rather larger then the trex500
If you are ok with short flight times then the next thing to look at is the C rating on your 2200mah packs. Can they handle a constant 60+ amp draw? Depending on what motor/pinion combo you run and desired head speed you could be pulling more amps than the packs can comfortably give.

For instance you would need at least a 30C 2200 battery pack for a 65A setup

Fishjunky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2010, 03:02 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjunky View Post
If you are ok with short flight times then the next thing to look at is the C rating on your 2200mah packs. Can they handle a constant 60+ amp draw? Depending on what motor/pinion combo you run and desired head speed you could be pulling more amps than the packs can comfortably give.

For instance you would need at least a 30C 2200 battery pack for a 65A setup
A123's can handle 70 amps continuous with 100amp brusts.
But I do have 40C -50C packs I fly.
I think this heli is still bigger then i want, i know bigger flys better but this it might be too big. Like to know more of what all driffrent motors people run.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:03 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I flew my Swift 16 with the cheap Spektrum DS821 servos. They aren't great, but they flew it fine for over a year. I'd recommend the Hyperion DS20 metal gear digitals as a good mid-price servo that is strong and centers well. I fly them on my Compass Knight.

As for A123 setups, 6 A123 is not enough battery for the Swift. That would be more appropriate for a Trex 500 (425) or Protos. I flew my Swift on 10S A123, with a lower KV motor appropriate for the voltage. 10S A123 is about the same voltage (under load) as 8S lipo. I was getting 6 minute flights on 550mm blades with that configuration.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STM2Jc2kSu4[/ame]
Old 06-03-2010, 03:41 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
A123's can handle 70 amps continuous with 100amp brusts.
But I do have 40C -50C packs I fly.
I think this heli is still bigger then i want, i know bigger flys better but this it might be too big. Like to know more of what all driffrent motors people run.
I must have skipped over the part about you using A123's. I haven't used them before, but looks like Chris has already answered that part of it.

I will be using a Scorpion 4020-1100 on 6S. I really wanted a 4020-910 but I found a great deal on a used 1100. For a pinion I'll either be using a 9T at 100% or a 10T governed down to 95%. This all could change once I get her in the air. I don't think I need 2100rpm head speed, but it's nice to know I can get there if I want.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris
I flew my Swift 16 with the cheap Spektrum DS821 servos. They aren't great, but they flew it fine for over a year. I'd recommend the Hyperion DS20 metal gear digitals as a good mid-price servo that is strong and centers well. I fly them on my Compass Knight.

As for A123 setups, 6 A123 is not enough battery for the Swift. That would be more appropriate for a Trex 500 (425) or Protos. I flew my Swift on 10S A123, with a lower KV motor appropriate for the voltage. 10S A123 is about the same voltage (under load) as 8S lipo. I was getting 6 minute flights on 550mm blades with that configuration.
Long time no talk Chris, got any pictures of your heli up close with the battery's, dod you build a 10cell pack or use two 5 cell packs together? look like it fly's great with them, what motor and pinion did you use?

This is a BIG bird, I guess I still not sure about the size. from nose to tail how long is it?
wow those hyperions are high price I like the $29 ones better. as long they wont stripe in flight.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:04 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Cheap Servos

Quote:
Well a trex is like $350 for just frame if you find someone selling one. $500 for heli + servos but i like know what servos people are using. i hope someone says some for around $25 a piece.
I second what Chris said. I have Spektrum DS821s on the cyclic on my Swift 16 and they fly just fine. I got 4 brand new on eBay for $65. A lot of people (and stores) buy DX7s systems but don't want the servos that come with them. I have a Hyperion tail servo which is is awesome for the price. At some point I intend to put Hyperions on the cyclic but the 821s are fine for now. Hyperion servos seem quite reasonably priced (under $40 each) for the performance. They are programmable with just a $20 cable needed.

Blade mCPX BL2, Blade 180 CFX, Blade 450X, Blade 360 CFX, Oxy 3, Mini Protos, Gaui X7
rreichar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Rod, Which Hyperion tail servo are you running? Also which gyro do you have it paired with? I just ordered the Hyperion DS20x-GCD servo and I have a Spartan Quark ready to install.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:02 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail Servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjunky View Post
Rod, Which Hyperion tail servo are you running? Also which gyro do you have it paired with? I just ordered the Hyperion DS20x-GCD servo and I have a Spartan Quark ready to install.
I am running the Hyperion Atlas DS20-GMD with a Spartan DS760. I have the same servo with a Quark on the TR 500 clone that I put together for my son. Amazing precision on the Swift. I was shocked at how good it felt. Right after the first flight I ordered another Hyperion for my son. The EXI is solid but the current servo horn is too short. I have only flown it once with the Quark/DS-20 setup. I love the Spartans. I am just flying around with no 3D so I am not stressing the tail very much. I started with a 401/9254 combo which seemed fine until I flew with the Spartan/Hyperion setup. "Connected" is starting to sound like a cliche but that is the word that comes to mind. I bought the DS760 for $62 on eBay and got the servo on sale for $30 shipped.

Blade mCPX BL2, Blade 180 CFX, Blade 450X, Blade 360 CFX, Oxy 3, Mini Protos, Gaui X7
rreichar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 12:17 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Long time no talk Chris, got any pictures of your heli up close with the battery's, dod you build a 10cell pack or use two 5 cell packs together? look like it fly's great with them, what motor and pinion did you use?
There are some pictures in this post over on RCG:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=341

It was a single 10 cell brick. Motor was a Neu (I forget which model) about 680kv. I ran a 10T pinion on it. You will want something 800kv or less if you go 10S A123.

As cheap as lipos are these days I'm not sure I'd do the A123 setup again, it was probably 200g heavier than a lipo setup. I was right at 6.5 lbs on A123.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:32 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris View Post
As cheap as lipos are these days I'm not sure I'd do the A123 setup again, it was probably 200g heavier than a lipo setup. I was right at 6.5 lbs on A123.
I certainly agree. Today you can get 5S and 6S 5000mah packs that will far outperform 8S or 10S A123's and save you a lot of weight.

If you do the math on A123's, you will find that, at the amp draw required to fly these helis, they will only deliver about 2.6V per cell, which is not near their 3.3V nominal ratings.

Todays lipos will actually deliver 3.8V through 80% of its mah use in a flight. That represents a BIG difference in power/oz.

And if you gear even one of these new generation of 5S packs for a sport type of rotor speed (e.g. 1600 to 1700) you will find a 5000 mah pack will give you more then 8 minutes of good flying!
ngin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 07:28 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngin View Post
If you do the math on A123's, you will find that, at the amp draw required to fly these helis, they will only deliver about 2.6V per cell, which is not near their 3.3V nominal ratings.
That depends on how hard you load them. For HV applications, they work better. My data logs showed 2.8 to 2.9V per cell on my Swift during my style of flying. I continued to use A123 cells in airplanes after I stopped using them in my helis. They still have safety advantages over lipos, but most of their other benefits (cost and charge rates) are gone.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:34 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks guys, Well I would love a heli this size I think its too big. I need bigger but price is issue and not sure how much cost to rebuild one of these helis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in