Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Century

Century Century Helicopters Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmega View Post
How about one that comes with ALL the parts!
I trust such a comment comes from someone who has built a number of them and they were all missing some parts.

So the question is how many Centuey helis have you built that where missing parts? If it has been only one kit, then I would think such a comment is a bit unwarranted. If on the other hand it has been a number of kits, then it would be warranted. But I sincerely doubt that from my experiences.

I have built a good number of their kits over the years - and only had such an issue with a scale model recently. I understand, as they explained, that some of their scale model combinations are not packaged at the Century factory in Asia, as are most of their pod & boom kits. These scale kit combos are packaged at their warehouse in the USA. Here they combine a set of the Century scale mechanics, with a fuselage they get from Funkey. A further complication with the scale combo, was the different from stock rotor head I wanted. In this case I ordered it with the three blade head and when their staff removed the stock two blade FB head and replaced it with the 3 blade FBL Diamond head (a great flying head). They had forgot to include the follower needed for an FBL head. The shop I purchased it from made a phone call and they sent it out right away.

I have also built a number of kits from other manufacturers, and occasionally have found that they also have missed a part or two. But I did not assume that was an issue with every kit they sold.
ngin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2013, 12:33 AM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Ngin. Yes, I have only built the one. But I have half a dozen Blade helis, without ANY missing parts. Nearly a dozen Align helis without ANY missing parts. But I have ONE Century heli with 14 missing parts! I could see maybe missing one part, but 14 parts! I have spoken with numerous people who have had Century helis, and missing parts are VERY common.

So here is a summary of the "Real Deal" Hughes 500E from Century:

- Funkey fuselage, excellent as always. I have had 6 of the Funkey fuselages and their quality is always top notch and never any missing parts

- Century Scale mechanics, poor quality and many missing parts. Here is a list of the missing parts:

set screw for the tail shaft
ball link for the swash plate
ALL the rods and links for the head
main shaft sleeve adapter
clamping collar

When I emailed Century about the missing links and head parts here is their reply:

"Links and plastic balls don’t come with the head (depending on what brand machines). We need to know the total length of the link first (depend on what brand machines).

Yes. You do need additional steel ball http://www.centuryheli.com/products/...prtnm=CNLR1011 and

Head adapter http://www.centuryheli.com/products/...prtnm=CN1104-2

The reason we don’t have a part list is because there’s many different machine application that can be applied, it’s almost impossible to prepare the list. This is why the customer provides us with the length of the push rod so we can check what we have in stock to sell.

If you have any other questions, please let me know. Thank you and have a good day.

Best Regards,

Sales Department"

From the above response it's clear they have no idea as to what should be in the kit they are selling. The fact that they don't even have a parts list shows that they advertise a fancy "Real Deal" kit but just throw in whatever they think is needed, and then if there are missing parts, then it's because they are not included in the kit.

Now for the instructions. Remember I purchased a complete kit with 5 bladed rotor head. Their instructions don't include anything for installing the head... Only how to assemble it. The manual for the rest of the heli is for a flybarred version, so there is no really useful information on setting up the head. Again, throw whatever in the box.

As for the mechanics. I have never had anything of such poor quality. The frame is so twisted that when it is on a completely flat surface it wobbles back and forth. In order to get the frame completely square, I would have to drill out the metal frames. It is so far out that when setting the pitch on the blades it will be out by as much as 6 degrees because the frame isn't square.

The electric conversion kit... A complete waste of time. Even though Century has motors listed on the website that are supposed to fit, they haven't been available for years. And readily available motors don't have the same bolt pattern. It was much easier and faster to just machine a brand new mount from scratch.

So yes, I have only built one Century heli (and it will be my last). Like I said, I have spoken with other previous owners of Century products, and missing parts and poor customer service are the norm. From what I have experienced, there are far to many issues with this "Real Deal" to make me believe that this is just a one off issue.

I don't know what support is like for Blade and Align, but then I have never needed their support as their kits always have all the parts, their instructions are for the kit you bought, and are excellent and thorough. Am I expecting too much? I don't think so, if Blade and Align can make quality products why can't Century or should I say "Last" Century!

I just got a T-Rex 700N DFC that I am going to convert to electric... Quality all the way!
Blade 450 3D, Blade 120SR, Blade CX2, Blade 350QX

Last edited by Ohmega; 12-08-2013 at 12:37 AM.. Reason: sp
Ohmega is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 06:21 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Ohmega,
I'm curious about the twisted frame. Could you explain more? Maybe a photo ?
Nitron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Nitron,

I won't be back at my hangar until later this week. When I am there I will take some pictures.
Blade 450 3D, Blade 120SR, Blade CX2, Blade 350QX
Ohmega is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 08:02 AM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default I vote for an E700-770

Hello All,
I own multiple Century products such as the Swift 16’s, Swift NX’s, NX50’s, Heli-Max Kinetic (HawkPro), E640’s and N640’s. I have been very happy with the 640 line. I have been a life-long (50ish) RC hobbyist with just the last few into Helis. I got started purchasing Century Helis when they were sold at Tower Hobbies a few years ago. I started dealing with Heli-World when Tower got out of the game and I have been for the most part happy with Heli-World. I do like the Century parts compatibility and with that in mind I would like to see an E700-770 size platform to continue my collection.
DaMayor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 02:54 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

DaMayor I agree on that one, a 700 E class heli is needed as well as a V2 E640 with the few little refinements that have been mentioned before. I think the E640 is the best 600 class heli for the dollar out there presently but so few know about it.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:14 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis P View Post
DaMayor I agree on that one, a 700 E class heli is needed as well as a V2 E640 with the few little refinements that have been mentioned before. I think the E640 is the best 600 class heli for the dollar out there presently but so few know about it.
Gotta agree that the current E640 is the best 600 class heli on the current market, and from what I have seen the nitro version N640 is also right up there in the 600 nitro arena.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngin View Post
Gotta agree that the current E640 is the best 600 class heli on the current market, and from what I have seen the nitro version N640 is also right up there in the 600 nitro arena.
I'll second that. My E640 has more power compared to my N640, but the N640 still has enough power that it is still fun and I enjoy flying both just as much.

Still, neither really compare to my 90 in terms of speed and overall power/weight, but they are a lot cheaper to fly!
Furious Predator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 07:26 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I still think a conversion kit for the new OS15 gasser engine would be a great thing for the N640 !
Old 01-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmega View Post
Hi Nitron,

I won't be back at my hangar until later this week. When I am there I will take some pictures.
And please place them in the thread you started, so this one can stay on topic.......
Old 01-10-2014, 06:03 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis P View Post
I still think a conversion kit for the new OS15 gasser engine would be a great thing for the N640 !
I would agree, except from all the threads on the different forums about this engine, it seems that it has had a good bit of teething problems. It does not seem to be as problem free as most other OS engines.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:51 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am wondering what kind power power it would produce compared to the G20 engines....being that is has about 25% less displacement. Does the G20 engine have HP specs?
Old 04-18-2014, 04:57 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi

I would like century make a new gasser like the G30 V2 but with 12mm main shaft and Metal tail gear.

Thierry
bilou29 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2014, 08:34 AM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilou29 View Post
Hi

I would like century make a new gasser like the G30 V2 but with 12mm main shaft and Metal tail gear.

Thierry
Actually the tail cone gears on both ends are metal helical cut gears in the G30V2 but the mainshaft is 10mm. The head is setup for 12 mm with a sleeve inside to make it 10mm.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:34 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Dennis

I know that, i have the G30 V2 .
the problem is the 21T gear after the main gear is in plastic and i 've broken it 2 times.(tail blades on the grass) . this gear broke in the flight just after.....
http://centuryheli.fr/jws/product_in...2defd297027070

the main shaft in 10mm is too light, when you push on a main blade ,you can see the main shaft doing like a chewing gum and that's not only the dampeners who make that.(scuse me for my poor english language)

i think that century found that a 12mm mainshaft is too heavy ,i think that's a mistake.

"the boomstrike is not never far away." when you flight hard as possible with this machine

Regards
Thierry
bilou29 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thierry, there now is a metal version of that 21T gear, though this is the first I have heard of a problem with the original 21T plastic one. The part number is the same as the plastic one with a "B" at the end.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:52 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilou29 View Post
Hi Dennis

I know that, i have the G30 V2 .
the problem is the 21T gear after the main gear is in plastic and i 've broken it 2 times.(tail blades on the grass) . this gear broke in the flight just after.....
http://centuryheli.fr/jws/product_in...2defd297027070

the main shaft in 10mm is too light, when you push on a main blade ,you can see the main shaft doing like a chewing gum and that's not only the dampeners who make that.(scuse me for my poor english language)

i think that century found that a 12mm mainshaft is too heavy ,i think that's a mistake.

"the boomstrike is not never far away." when you flight hard as possible with this machine

Regards
Thierry
Most 12mm mainshafts that I have had or seen are hollow so it sure should not be heavier. I actually thought the V2 would have had a 12 mm mainshaft since the head was ready for it. As for the tail in some ways I would sooner have the spur gear strip if hitting the blades down than the auto gear stripping .

Last edited by Dennis P; 04-20-2014 at 01:01 AM..
Dennis P is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2014, 12:20 AM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

Years ago a major manufacturer dis some testing on the bending strength of 10mm solid mainshafts compared to 12mm hollow shafts made of the same steel. Low and behold they found the solid ones to need more force to make it bend!

They did consider making a change to the 12mm shaft just as a "marketing" move. Fortunately they stayed with the 10mm shaft.

Of course their tests with a 12mm solid shaft compared to the 10mm shaft showed the heavier solid 12mm shaft to require more force to bend it compared to the solid 10mm shaft.

At that time there were a number of threads on various forums discussing the topic.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:46 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Would be nice to know exactly what steel is used for 10 and 12 mm shafts. It would be easy to calculate which one would be more resistant to bending without having to actually bend and measure them.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:18 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious Predator View Post
Would be nice to know exactly what steel is used for 10 and 12 mm shafts. It would be easy to calculate which one would be more resistant to bending without having to actually bend and measure them.
That is what I was thinking. It has more to do with the quality and proper choice of steel than hollow or solid . The biggest benefit to the 12mm shaft if the correct steel choice is used is the larger diameter bearing which probably almost double in load carrying capacity with the larger ID and OD diameter . People and Century helis have been flying for years with the 10mm but to be honest we live in a world of must have so if everyone else is doing it and people are complaining it may be a must have update weather it is really needed or not. Finally people and brands are realizing the DFC thing has bad points that come along with a few good that I presently cannot think of !! Ha Ha . But how many helis did DFC marketing sell and it is still selling.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in