Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters

Compass Helicopters Rage RC Hellicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hobbywing ESC question

Anyone using the Gov. mode? How well is it working?

Also when you do the "throttle range setting" other then high and low stick, is it necessary to use the end points up and down to get the full range like the Castle ESCs require?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2009, 11:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I do not use the Gov mode (or I don't think I have Gov mode in my 60A stock).
Leave the ETA at 100%. Just use the stick to do the programming.

RC Freak
RC_Freak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use governor mode in both of my Hobbywing Platinums (120-HV and 40). It's no Jazz, but it does maintain the average headspeed as voltage drops. What you won't see is a "flatline" rpm as you load and unload the head, you can hear it vary a bit in rpm. Personally, this doesn't bother me one bit since you also don't see tail wag issues like you usually do with the Castle ESC in governor mode. There are no endpoint setups to do with the Hobbywing.

I followed Jeremy's setup options for my Knight and it's been working great:

https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...15&postcount=5
Old 06-18-2009, 02:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris View Post
I use governor mode in both of my Hobbywing Platinums (120-HV and 40). It's no Jazz, but it does maintain the average headspeed as voltage drops. What you won't see is a "flatline" rpm as you load and unload the head, you can hear it vary a bit in rpm.

What do you mean by flatline? Have you tried it without the gov. mode? Wonder how much different the rpm hold would be if I run a straight throttle line anyways.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by flag8r77 View Post
What do you mean by flatline? Have you tried it without the gov. mode? Wonder how much different the rpm hold would be if I run a straight throttle line anyways.
I haven't tried it without governor mode. While it might hold a more tight rpm range with fixed throttle, the overall headspeed would decline in conjunction with the voltage. That's the real change a governor makes, not holding an absolute fixed rpm. Here's a couple of charts to show what I mean by "flatline" vs "wavy line". The first one is my Protos with a Jazz, the other is the Knight with Hobbywing.

Protos: https://www.helifreak.com/attachment...2&d=1224863991

Knight: https://www.helifreak.com/attachment...5&d=1238201862

You can see that the Jazz holds a much tighter reign on the headspeed, with it dropping only when my old tired lipos can't put out the power the motor needed during aggressive collective punches. The Knight RPM wanders around a little, but you can see it still doesn't decline (on average) as voltage drops.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was under the impression that even WITH a governor, once the lipo starts to die down in a flight that the HS is gonna drop regardless. Didn't think a gov. could hold that.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Holy sh*%! That 8S spark is a bit large!
Old 06-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Holy sh*%! That 8S spark is a bit large!
Gets your attention, doesn't it?

Yep, a proper governor will try to hold the RPM till the very end, assuming enough overhead in the gearing to do it. Disadvantage: No warning of impending dump of pack, and as the flight goes on the current draw increases (meaning you usually get slightly shorter flights in gov mode).
Old 06-19-2009, 08:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I use governor mode in both of my Hobbywing Platinums (120-HV and 40). It's no Jazz, but it does maintain the average headspeed as voltage drops. What you won't see is a "flatline" rpm as you load and unload the head, you can hear it vary a bit in rpm. Personally, this doesn't bother me one bit since you also don't see tail wag issues like you usually do with the Castle ESC in governor mode. There are no endpoint setups to do with the Hobbywing.

I followed Jeremy's setup options for my Knight and it's been working great:

https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...15&postcount=5
With the Castle new firmware, it has a setting for Outrunner Motors, tail wag is eliminated and High Gov mode holds the RPM better with less variance than the graph you provided
https://www.helifreak.com/attachment...5&d=1238201862
gww528 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2009, 08:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Gets your attention, doesn't it?

Yep, a proper governor will try to hold the RPM till the very end, assuming enough overhead in the gearing to do it. Disadvantage: No warning of impending dump of pack, and as the flight goes on the current draw increases (meaning you usually get slightly shorter flights in gov mode).
I have found if you have a large enough battery that the current draw is pretty much constant an only varies when doing 3d maneuvers (adding a load). Chris I would think with the running A123 10s2p that you would find that to be true. In fact looking at your 8s setup https://www.helifreak.com/attachment...5&d=1238201862 it looks like your current draw is constant at the end unless your vary the head speed. What do you think?
Old 06-19-2009, 08:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by gww528 View Post
With the Castle new firmware, it has a setting for Outrunner Motors, tail wag is eliminated and High Gov mode holds the RPM better with less variance than the graph you provided
https://www.helifreak.com/attachment...5&d=1238201862
Oh man, don't get me started on the new Castle firmware. At my club there have been two crashes directly caused by the firmware, and my newest heli wouldn't even get off the ground with the new firmware installed! The motor would not spin up fast enough for flight in governor mode OR fixed mode. I flashed it back to 1.55 and magically all was well again.

I know others are having good luck with it, but I won't be trying it again unless / until they do some serious testing and fixing.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

If I use the GOV mode on the Hobbywing, I would still keep my throttle lines at the same % as I originally set up to get the desired HS correct?
Old 06-19-2009, 10:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Oh man, don't get me started on the new Castle firmware. At my club there have been two crashes directly caused by the firmware, and my newest heli wouldn't even get off the ground with the new firmware installed! The motor would not spin up fast enough for flight in governor mode OR fixed mode. I flashed it back to 1.55 and magically all was well again.

I know others are having good luck with it, but I won't be trying it again unless / until they do some serious testing and fixing.
This is true I have heard & experienced the backside to the new firmware but I definitely
do not want to get you started before the weekend comes up... so you can fly, enjoy.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by gww528 View Post
This is true I have heard & experienced the backside to the new firmware but I definitely
do not want to get you started before the weekend comes up... so you can fly, enjoy.
Hehe, I'm not really that flamed about it, but it was disappointing to me since I've always had such good results from my CC controllers over the years.

Quote:
If I use the GOV mode on the Hobbywing, I would still keep my throttle lines at the same % as I originally set up to get the desired HS correct?
In theory.... but not always. Start with a flatline of about 60% in one of your flight modes and see what headspeed that gets you. I'd guess it will be around 1900-2000.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
In theory.... but not always. Start with a flatline of about 60% in one of your flight modes and see what headspeed that gets you. I'd guess it will be around 1900-2000.

This morning took it up for a 2 min. test hover, the 60% is WAY TOO LOW. Didn't tach it but it surely wasn't 2000. Have to check it Sat. morning.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Headspeed

My question is how do you set it in gov mode to a specific head speed?
Jay Jay is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2015, 08:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You adjust your flatline throttle setting in your radio, and verify the rpm is what you want by using a tachometer.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:22 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow that's an old thread! Lol
exfokkerflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in