Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

Old 06-13-2006, 08:54 PM   #121
Finless
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Yep your right.... whatever percent gives zero pitch..... Some might argue for a little negative in the hopes that the lockout occurs while upright and thus you get a liitle autorotation action going... I personally dont see it but something to think about.

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Finless is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:20 AM   #122
NVMax
Registered Users

Default 401

Hey All,
This is my first post on this forum.
Bob, Thank You for all your help full vids, I thought I was set up....Guess not!

I have a gyro set up question. I have the same gear on my bird as in the vid
but my radio is an Optic6. the radio will not let me set end points for
channel 5 the gyro gain channel, but it will let me change the SUB Trim with the same end result.
Is this O.K.?

Max.
NVMax is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:28 AM   #123
Finless
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I cant see how sub trims will work! Its the channel end points and channel 5 tied to a switch that tells the gyro what gain to use.

However on the Optic6 you have a gyro menu! Forget about end points on channel 5 and use the gyro menu. Remember to set the gain in the gyro menu for EACH condition! e.g. normal, idel 1, hold, etc.

Bob

Old 06-14-2006, 02:42 PM   #124
NVMax
Registered Users

Thanks Bob!
NVMax is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:29 AM   #125
snow520lee
Registered Users

dear Bob,

about the blade tracking.........

If I have a blade with a red adhesive stripe and one with a blue one..... I find that the red one is higher than the blue...... which one I have to adjust? I'll make lower the red or higher the blue? There is a system to define which one is at the right level?? Sorry for this stupid question, maybe have no difference.....

Marco
many foamy's, parkflyer, gliders...
and one angry wife... hihihihihi
snow520lee is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:13 AM   #126
Finless
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Do not adjust both. Do one at a time. Lower the red one with ONE adjustment. If still out raise the blue one. As i said in my video dont go more than one turn on any link!

Old 06-16-2006, 09:09 AM   #127
snow520lee
Registered Users

ok, so there's no a way to define which one is right.... good, so it's easier than what I was thinking!!!!!!!!!

Many thanks......

Marco
many foamy's, parkflyer, gliders...
and one angry wife... hihihihihi
snow520lee is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 01:30 AM   #128
kgfly
HF Support

My HF Map location

I know we shouldn't shorten motor wires past where the manufacturer has pre-tinned them. What about the wires on the ESC, is it OK to cut them back by 1cm or so and then simply re-tin the ends ?
Previous rides: HX242, W5-4, TRex450(HDE), TRex450(SE), QJ-EP8v2, BCX2 ,Logo10, Hurricane550
SIM: Phoenix (previously also Reflex/XTR, ClearView, RF, FMS)
kgfly is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:34 AM   #129
Finless
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Yes... ESC wires are fine to cut back.

Bob

Old 06-17-2006, 03:44 PM   #130
droidit1
Registered Users

Default Spectrum radio

Bob,

Thank you for your super informative videos! They have been a great help setting up my TREX. Do you have any tips for using the Spectrum radio or is it not "deep" tweaking wise for this heli?

Thanks,

Andy
droidit1 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:06 PM   #131
kgfly
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default Re: Spectrum radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidit1
Bob,

Do you have any tips for using the Spectrum radio or is it not "deep" tweaking wise for this heli?

Andy
Hi Andy, I think you are refering to a Spektrum DX6. If so, it's great to find another adventurer willing to try the new technology :wink: I am a newbie but have done a lot of research and I think I have the radio settings sorted out for the 450XL HDE that I am building. If you are building a CDE or SE (ie ccpm) then use Bob's CCPM videos to guide you in configuring the swash settings. Note also that I have yet to build the tail so am not sure of the final rudder channel settings and also some additional tweaking will be needed once actual flight is achieved

---------------------------------------------

Spektrum DX6 Programming for TRex 450XL HDE
================================
1) Switches

* D/R = E (Aileron+Elevator dual-rate bound together on Elevator D/R switch - AFAIK not used for a heli)
* GER = A (Gyro dual-rate bound to Aileron D/R switch, used to select bewteen rate and heading-hold modes on the gyro)

2) Servo directions
* AIL, ELE = Rev
* RUD, GER, PIT, THR = Norm

3) Dual Rate (D/R)
* AI0, AI1, EL0, EL1 = 100%

4) Exponential (Exp)
* AI0, AI1, EL0, EL1 = 35%

5) Endpoints (Trv Adj)
* GER = +/- 45% (bound to Aileron D/R switch)
* Others depend on your mechanics and preferences and of course if you have a CCPM setup, should all be 100% for AIL/ELE/PIT since you use the swash features to adjust collective.

6) Throttle hold (HLD)
* -2% (tbd, should turn off power to the motor)

7) Pitch and Throttle curves

There are quite a few opinions out there on this topic. Take a look at http://www.helifreak.com/viewtopic.php?t=13519. I am planning to follow Bob's guidelines which means starting with:

Pitch - Normal: 40 50 100 (approx, aiming for -1 to -2deg low-stick)
Thrtl - Normal: 0 85 100 (equiv to 5pt: 0 43 85 93 100)

Pitch - Stunt: 0 50 100 (same as linear 5pt: 0 25 50 75 100)
Thrtl - Stunt: 100 85 100

Pitch - Hold: 0 50 100 (linear match to 5pt: 0 25 50 75 100)
Thrtl - Hold: 0 0 0

Hope this helps,
Kenneth
Old 06-17-2006, 08:10 PM   #132
kgfly
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Bob,

Do you have any tips for using the Spectrum radio or is it not "deep" tweaking wise for this heli?

Thanks,

Andy
I also found this discussion useful: http://www.helifreak.com/viewtopic.php?t=13519
Old 06-17-2006, 11:27 PM   #133
droidit1
Registered Users

Thanks man, you are a huge help! I am building a 450 SE. I ahve all the tweeky radios but want to try the new technology since it operates in a spectrum unaffecteed by noise. I appreciate your knowledge. . .I will keep you oosrted on the outcome!

Andy

quote="kgfly"]
Quote:
Bob,

Andy
Hi Andy, I think you are refering to a Spektrum DX6. If so, it's great to find another adventurer willing to try the new technology :wink: I am a newbie but have done a lot of research and I think I have the radio settings sorted out for the 450XL HDE that I am building. If you are building a CDE or SE (ie ccpm) then use Bob's CCPM videos to guide you in configuring the swash settings. Note also that I have yet to build the tail so am not sure of the final rudder channel settings and also some additional tweaking will be needed once actual flight is achieved

Spektrum DX6 Programming for TRex 450XL HDE
================================
1) Switches

* D/R = E (Aileron+Elevator dual-rate bound together on Elevator D/R switch - AFAIK not used for a heli)
* GER = A (Gyro dual-rate bound to Aileron D/R switch, used to select bewteen rate and heading-hold modes on the gyro)

2) Servo directions
* AIL, ELE = Rev
* RUD, GER, PIT, THR = Norm

3) Dual Rate (D/R)
* AI0, AI1, EL0, EL1 = 100%

4) Exponential (Exp)
* AI0, AI1, EL0, EL1 = 35%

5) Endpoints (Trv Adj)
* GER = +/- 45% (bound to Aileron D/R switch)
* Others depend on your mechanics and preferences and of course if you have a CCPM setup, should all be 100% for AIL/ELE/PIT since you use the swash features to adjust collective.

6) Throttle hold (HLD)
* -2% (tbd, should turn off power to the motor)

7) Pitch and Throttle curves

There are quite a few opinions out there on this topic. Take a look at http://www.helifreak.com/viewtopic.php?t=13519. I am planning to follow Bob's guidelines which means starting with:

Pitch - Normal: 40 50 100 (approx, aiming for -1 to -2deg low-stick)
Thrtl - Normal: 0 85 100 (equiv to 5pt: 0 43 85 93 100)

Pitch - Stunt: 0 50 100 (same as linear 5pt: 0 25 50 75 100)
Thrtl - Stunt: 100 85 100

Pitch - Hold: 0 50 100 (linear match to 5pt: 0 25 50 75 100)
Thrtl - Hold: 0 0 0

Hope this helps,
Kenneth[/quote]
droidit1 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 06:01 AM   #134
kgfly
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default Training Gear for TRex 450XL - how big, how to mount ?

Hi Bob,

I want to put together some training gear from 3mm CF rod and practice golf balls.

1) How long should each rod be (ie approx radial distance from centre to the ball ?

At the moment I have 2 x 500mm rods which will give approx a 250mm radius, quite a bit less than say the rotor radius of about 360mm.

2) Should the rods be mounted beneath the skids such that the heli rests up in the air on the training gear, or on top of the skids such that the heli rests on the skids ?

Thanks,
Kenneth
Old 06-18-2006, 09:51 AM   #135
Finless
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

ALso see this guide for the DX6

http://www.digimemphoto.com/guides/backguide.htm

Bob

Old 06-21-2006, 12:36 AM   #136
Finless
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Just added 2 new videos:
Installing the NEW improved SE tail hub
And I hate to say this but I had to modify the new hub to make it work better. So a quicky video on how to modify it to remove end play.

Bob

Old 06-23-2006, 12:02 AM   #137
Naruto28
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Bob, thank you for taking the time and effort to put together all of these videos. I just finished building my first Trex (a CDE) and got it nice and dialed in today. It flies great! I'm fairly decent with putting stuff together, but I honestly think my bird would be a complete mess with only the crappy manual and lack of experience to guide me on my end. Your videos were a huge help and I've learned a ton this past week. It's people like you that make this hobby even more enjoyable and easier for noobs like myself to get started in. Thanks again!
Naruto28 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:21 AM   #138
CaptEv0
Registered Users

Bob,
You had mention about the oneway bearing remover in the video.
What's the part number for it?
I watched your video and was using the socket.
Like an idiot, I picked the socket that was alittle too tight, enought to where the bearing got in there and I couldn't get it back out of the socket
Thanks
CaptEv0 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 07:16 AM   #139
GimbalFan
Registered Users

It's p# K10273A
Old 06-23-2006, 07:28 AM   #140
WillJames
HF Support

My HF Map location

Not to hijack this thread, but I own the Align auto bearing removal tool...

This tool that Rotorworkz.com Charley makes is MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better and all you need is two hands to use it. http://www.helifreak.com/about11123.html Probably 50 people have used mine and now Wayne Ellison has it and shares it at all the events. Charley's tool is GREAT!!

If you fly you are going to crash.
Not again!!!
WillJames is online now        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos