Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
ERRATIC BIRD
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Question Blade waxing

Well, I guess the title speaks for its self. Who does it and why?

I never really gave it much thought but I find myself scrubbing bug parts off my blades after an evening of flying and am wondering if waxing will help alleviate some of the messy residue the lightning bugs and grass hoppers leave behind, poor little buggers.

Also could it help performance.

Thoughts?

Steve
ERRATIC BIRD is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
Trexwilly
Registered Users

I just took a set of blades off that were as mucked up as I have ever seen. I thought "I should take a picture of these before I clean them"... I didn't They really were NASTY, I was flying threw the tall grass chopping bugs apart and taking the heads off the hay for days, I never noticed a performance drop? I used some eco friendly Windex and they look like new again?
Trexwilly is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
H2SO4
Registered Users

Just thinking out loud...

Surfers wax their boards to reduce friction, but their boards don't spin at 3000rpm, and the weight gain is therefore immaterial.

Wax of some sort would probably reduce blade friction, but at the expense of extra weight. There is a break-even value somewhere at which the gains due to friction are precisely offset by the losses due to extra weight. I haven't got the slightest notion where that break-even number would be :-)

Interesting idea though. I might experiment with Rain-X. It ought to be lighter than wax for a similar effect.
H2SO4 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
captainS
Registered Users

I clean all over with a window cleaner & spray my Nitro engines with carby cleaner. then Meguiars liquid spray wax on everything. Hmmm shinny

http://www.meguiars.com.au/products/...tect/quik-wax/

captainS is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
Skidpad
Registered Users

Default Re: Blade waxing

I clean my blades and canopies with a small towel and hot water to remove the crusty bugs, then go over it with Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish. It leaves a nice waxy finish, and makes cleaning easier the next time. Yes, I am anal.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
ShuttleZX
Registered Users

Waxing the blades sounds like a good idea to me. Full-size aircraft owners have long known that a good wax job on the airframe will give them a few extra MPH in cruise speeds.

- Promote Critical Thinking. Reject Validation Journalism -

ShuttleZX is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
prillernut
Registered Users

"Honda Pro Spray Cleaner and Polish", from your local Honda 2-wheeler shop. Some of the best stuff ever created

MSH Protos, T-Rex 450 Sport, 130X "Wobblin' Goblin", mCPX, X-Cell 60 Custom, Kavan Jet Ranger
prillernut is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #8
Skidpad
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by prillernut View Post
"Honda Pro Spray Cleaner and Polish", from your local Honda 2-wheeler shop. Some of the best stuff ever created
Momentary highjack....Where in NC?
Old 07-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
FuntanaS
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Just thinking out loud...

Surfers wax their boards to reduce friction, but their boards don't spin at 3000rpm, and the weight gain is therefore immaterial.

Wax of some sort would probably reduce blade friction, but at the expense of extra weight. There is a break-even value somewhere at which the gains due to friction are precisely offset by the losses due to extra weight. I haven't got the slightest notion where that break-even number would be :-)

Interesting idea though. I might experiment with Rain-X. It ought to be lighter than wax for a similar effect.
What? A coat of wax on your blades won't even begin to add weight to them. Maybe a 1/100 of a gram.

Technically wax will make the blades slip through the air better but not enough to notice any difference.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #10
Tasteles
Registered Users

I think the main thing is to clean them after use. The wax may make it easier to clean off but I just use a windex wipe and it all cleans off pretty easy. Even grass stains wipe right off my tail blades.

Ever let a house fan blade get dirty and notice the difference in air output after cleaning the blades? I figure the same goes with heli blades, keep them clean and they'll move more air.
Tasteles is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:50 AM   #11
H2SO4
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuntanaS View Post
What? A coat of wax on your blades won't even begin to add weight to them. Maybe a 1/100 of a gram.

Technically wax will make the blades slip through the air better but not enough to notice any difference.
So something that hardly makes any difference at all is being offset by something else which is also undetectable for all practical purposes?

I think we're in agreement

Years ago I read somewhere that airlines have a formula which they use to calculate how often planes ought to be washed, externally. It cost BA something like 50 in extra fuel to run a dirty 747 from London to New York. Since the cost of a wash is also a known quantity, it becomes simple to decide whether it's time for the bucket and sponge to make an appearance.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:08 AM   #12
prillernut
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidpad View Post
Momentary highjack....Where in NC?
Chapel Hill

MSH Protos, T-Rex 450 Sport, 130X "Wobblin' Goblin", mCPX, X-Cell 60 Custom, Kavan Jet Ranger
prillernut is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #13
Trexwilly
Registered Users

V-blades used to sell a textured blade...
Trexwilly is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #14
jakalope
Registered Users

Is it just me or does anyone else think the bloody blades are kinda cool? I usually don't clean my blades.

Last edited by jakalope; 07-22-2013 at 10:13 PM..
jakalope is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #15
dwdw910
Registered Users

Hmmm... Surfers wax their boards for traction... not to make the board slippery.
The wax is applied to the areas where they stand so they can grip the board in the water.

Wax isn't going to make your blades any more or less aerodynamic nor efficient. They spin, they pitch and scoop air.. that's pretty much it. With or without wax- they are still spinning at a given RPM.

It does sound like a great idea to make cleaning all those bugs off easier. I can't believe how many bugs get nailed in the blades.

I have a million birds in my area... So I'm still waiting for my first confirmed bird kill.
They are afraid of my 450... but they will fight and go after my Micro CP helis. Its a warzone above my house with them!
dwdw910 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #16
kenkadish
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidpad View Post
I clean my blades and canopies with a small towel and hot water to remove the crusty bugs, then go over it with Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish. It leaves a nice waxy finish, and makes cleaning easier the next time. Yes, I am anal.

Pro Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish 12 oz.:Amazon:Sports & Outdoors
You sound like a Goldwinger! I am!!

Ken
kenkadish is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #17
Skidpad
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkadish View Post
You sound like a Goldwinger! I am!!

Ken
Very close Ken - former wannabe roadracer (CBR900RR); old cleaning habits die hard. Enjoy your ride! :-)
Old 07-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #18
Felix the cat
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Just thinking out loud...Surfers wax their boards to reduce friction, but their boards don't spin at 3000rpm, and the weight gain is therefore immaterial.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdw910 View Post
Hmmm... Surfers wax their boards for traction... not to make the board slippery. The wax is applied to the areas where they stand so they can grip the board in the water.
We surfers wax our boards on the deck, (the top) the entire area you lay down and stand up, for grip / traction purposes. When I was learning to surf, (back in the paleozoic era) with the hype, I did used Vista wax on the bottom to make it slide better, naaaaaaaaah ! You can not tell the difference. Then in Hobbie Cat races there was a product called Dolphin Skin to make pontoons less resistant to water drag, again naaaaaaah ! How would you know ?
It all came down to board style, your weight and your moves. In sailing it was up to proper sail trim and rudder control.

Granted, logic dictates is would obviously slide better, but it would be such a minute difference too hard to test. IMHO As far as you have a good gell coat / fiberglass surface, (not the ugly anti fouling black paint, shell repellant black stuff used on bigger boats) For me it's been impossible to tell one way or the other. Unless the surface is all dinged-up and full of craters or soft spots.

Ironically, on DH and X-country skiing you apply a very similar wax (like surf wax) to the bottom of the skis to make'em faster. Geeeezzzz

Quote:
Wax isn't going to make your blades any more or less aerodynamic nor efficient. They spin, they pitch and scoop air.. that's pretty much it. With or without wax- they are still spinning at a given RPM.
Ditto, I use WD-40 to remove the bugs and grass stains.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #19
HeliLuddite
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdw910 View Post
Hmmm... Surfers wax their boards for traction... not to make the board slippery
Thank Deity someone said it. I can just imagine the fun of having a slippery deck.
HeliLuddite is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:49 AM   #20
H2SO4
Registered Users

Live and learn. I assumed they waxed the underside of the board, not the deck. Shows how much surfing I do

(Wouldn't something less slippery than wax be better for increasing grip?)

Surfing aside, the thing with heli blades would be to reduce friction by filling in the microscopic pits and scratches. Products designed to be applied to windscreens for wet weather driving do exactly that. A coat of Rain-X or similar would reduce blade friction through the air, and make it easier to wipe off bug guts as a side-effect.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.