START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > Phoenix Flight Sim

Phoenix Flight Sim Phoenix Flight Sim

Old 04-06-2015, 11:57 AM   #1
loftrat
Registered Users

Unhappy Starting to Really Dislike Phoenix

I'm still learning to hover and getting used to controls, unfortunately I only have an mCPx BL and a 120SR so when it's breezy outside I need another way to practice.

I picked up a copy of Phoenix, hoping that this would be the answer, but I'm really starting to dislike (almost hate) flying in it.

For starters it just doesn't feel realistic - I can hover in all four orientations IRL but cannot get any helicopter in Phoenix to sit still. Everything drifts and wanders across the sky with varying levels of craziness. I'm constantly battling to stop the thing getting away from me (and this is with no breeze at all) so the chances of me moving on to forward flight and turns just seems to be slim to none right now.

Phoenix also seems to randomly glitch, and I get either a spike in pitch or power that sends whatever model I'm flying shooting upwards by about 20ft.

I know I need to spend time in the sim' in order to improve my flying (because there's no way I can put in enough hours IRL due to weather, batteries, space, etc) but I find it so demoralising / demotivating that every time I do I just never want to go back to it again.

What can / should I do to make this thing behave a little? Would I be better with a different sim'? Am I expecting too much?
loftrat is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:18 PM   #2
Whomprat
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Try playing with the camera setting. I think I have mine set to always show the ground, it helps from getting wonky. When I was first learning I used the AVant 90 model. It was quick but still stable. It felt the most similar to my blade 400 at the time. If you can hover on phoenix, then you can easily do it in real life.

No idea on the glitching, I've never heard of that.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:12 PM   #3
KSHeli
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftrat View Post
I'm still learning to hover and getting used to controls, unfortunately I only have an mCPx BL and a 120SR so when it's breezy outside I need another way to practice.

I picked up a copy of Phoenix, hoping that this would be the answer, but I'm really starting to dislike (almost hate) flying in it.

For starters it just doesn't feel realistic - I can hover in all four orientations IRL but cannot get any helicopter in Phoenix to sit still. Everything drifts and wanders across the sky with varying levels of craziness. I'm constantly battling to stop the thing getting away from me (and this is with no breeze at all) so the chances of me moving on to forward flight and turns just seems to be slim to none right now.

Phoenix also seems to randomly glitch, and I get either a spike in pitch or power that sends whatever model I'm flying shooting upwards by about 20ft.

I know I need to spend time in the sim' in order to improve my flying (because there's no way I can put in enough hours IRL due to weather, batteries, space, etc) but I find it so demoralising / demotivating that every time I do I just never want to go back to it again.

What can / should I do to make this thing behave a little? Would I be better with a different sim'? Am I expecting too much?
It really depend on how good a video card you have in your computer, my laptop has no additional memory on the video so it will have problems when there is a lot of scenery mine will be slowed down.

Goblin700, Align700E, Align500, Coming soon: HeliXHeli G700, w/Bavariandemon3SX
Futaba 14SGH
KSHeli is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:14 PM   #4
HarryR
Registered Users

Quote:

I don't know about the glitch but let me comment on the Phoenix. I had the same issues. Could not get a heli to fly remotely to what I was expecting and all the suggestions on the forum just did not work for me. So I went back to basics.
I set up a complete NEW HELICOPTER TX from scratch , made sure that there are NO trims of any kind in the set up and saved that TX in the Phoenix system. NOTE: You will need to go back into YOUR CONTROLS settings and make sure your servos are moving the correct way . I also used the Avant Aurora Ultimate 90 that is in the Phoenix system already It is a nitro model and you can see the smoke AND you can make sure the main blades / disk is very visible. Then, I just set it up in the simple way and run the dial (on the set up page) at about 60 percent. Et voila! That thing now flies like a slow Protos 500 ( which is my main heli) , it is easy to flip and fly upside down . Try it that way . AND.. If you want to fly airplanes... set up a DIFFERENT / completely separate Transmitter for your planks.,
Old 04-06-2015, 10:54 PM   #5
crashjack
Registered Users

Try adjusting Hoverability upward in the advanced setup. That will help keep from drifting. Also as others have mentioned, fly larger models... 550+.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:30 AM   #6
nbells
Registered Users

My HF Map location

" I can hover in all four orientations IRL but cannot get any helicopter in Phoenix to sit still. Everything drifts and wanders across the sky with varying levels of craziness."

Check your setup and adjust the settings for the model you are using. Are you using TX controls or Phoenix controls ?
Old 04-07-2015, 10:29 AM   #7
garyji
Registered Users

Guess what. The real ones don't "sit still" either.

G.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:55 PM   #8
Gladius
Registered Users

I have a similar thread discussing the difficulties I've had with hovering in Phoenix. I actually think it handles forward flight a lot better than it does with hovering. So go ahead and try that!

As others have said, larger helis fly better. I used the Miniature Aircraft Whiplash Nitro when I was starting.

<> Trex 600 ESP FBL, Trex 500 ESP FBL, MCPX BL <>
<> E-Flite P-51D Mustang 280, SkyAngel L-39 50mm EDF <>
Gladius is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:09 AM   #9
idle^
Registered Users

Quote:
It sounds like you are getting some sort of noise interference. How do you have your TX hooked up to the computer? USB? Mono Cable? When you calibrate your TX in the game does it appear any of the channels are moving slightly? If you are hooked up via audio cable try adjusting your recording device volume down to lower input sensitivity.
idle^ is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:11 PM   #10
wab223
Registered Users

+1 to the above.

This might be an issue with the dongle interface between you tx and your PC. Do you have the cable pushed right into the trainer port. Is it possible your unknowingly tugging the cable when your flying. What radio are you using? I would get in touch with support for this one if you cannot figure it out.
wab223 is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:38 PM   #11
whitehedr
Registered Users

Check out this thread and contact the good Captain for a lesson in Phoenix. You will NOT regret it. He will teach you all the nuances of setting up your Tx and Phoenix properly. He will then get you started in really flying the sim properly and teach you how to practice perfect. It will be time well spen, I guarantee it.

ROG

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1234396
DX9
whitehedr is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 03:18 PM   #12
Les RC Canada
Registered Users

Quote:

I here what you are saying... I hate my Phoenix sim also.. I feel really stupid some times.. I go the HeliFreak site on setting up my Dx6i to my sim and they talk about option menus and sit this and changing that and I can't figure it out and can't find where they want me to go nothing is clear and no manules. What gets frustrating for me is that it's like you are already supost to know everything already. I even went to the flight school and they start talking about inverted hovering ... How do you do that no instructions just do inverted hovering... Pritty frustrated.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:49 PM   #13
whitehedr
Registered Users

See my post just above and do what I suggest. You will no longer dislike Phoenix.

ROG
DX9
whitehedr is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:35 PM   #14
ArchmageAU
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les RC Canada View Post
I here what you are saying... I hate my Phoenix sim also.. I feel really stupid some times.. I go the HeliFreak site on setting up my Dx6i to my sim and they talk about option menus and sit this and changing that and I can't figure it out and can't find where they want me to go nothing is clear and no manules. What gets frustrating for me is that it's like you are already supost to know everything already. I even went to the flight school and they start talking about inverted hovering ... How do you do that no instructions just do inverted hovering... Pritty frustrated.
PM me. I think I can help out.

The initial instructions were for Phoenix v4 and they changed the menus is Phoenix v5.

I can also help with inverted flying if you want to go there.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:06 AM   #15
ArchmageAU
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
PM me. I think I can help out.

The initial instructions were for Phoenix v4 and they changed the menus is Phoenix v5.

I can also help with inverted flying if you want to go there.
Just FYI for board. Managed to help out Les RC Canada and he is up and going again.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > Phoenix Flight Sim

Phoenix Flight Sim Phoenix Flight Sim