Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Electric

MA Electric IonX2, Razor and Furion Support forum

Old 11-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #21
Laurens
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I kept killing gears and it just wouldn't fly well with the BW mixing arms. I think changing to the stock bellcranks would be better for the resolution needed to get a good flying heli, but its a big investment. Also I've been very busy with the airforce, I haven't flown in 3 months...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Laurens is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:29 PM   #22
Thrasymedes
NERD

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ah, who needs to fly helis when you are around the big stuff? How are things going with that?

What do you think was the biggest factor in tearing through main gears? Pinion, mesh, total power, main gear size?
Old 11-06-2010, 04:55 PM   #23
Thrasymedes
NERD

Today started out well waking up to a helicopter fly low over my place, wop wop wop wop...

More work done so far...

Got the motor, motor mount, pinion, and motor shaft counter bearing all mounted up with lockwashers and loctite. Also set the pinion mesh. I chose to use int. tooth lock washers up against the frame so that when tightened the little mini teeth dug into the CF frames. That is, bolt/washer/lock washer, in that order and then with loctite. That assembly isn't going to budge.

Got the pem nuts Chuck sent me converted into the frame to correct the two that were incorrectly sized from the kit.

Because of the 140 swash I had to modifiy the two aileron servo-to-arm link lenths. Got all those links mounted up.

Got the Tail servo horn on and the horn ball, set it to center, and checked throw.

Started on the tail rod assembly but need to make a run to the store. Did a perliminary check though and the second hole in the Mikado horn should work well for it.

Got all the directions set for the swash and wiggled the swash unit around. The BLS451 servos seem to have amazing power, even on 4.8v.

List is getting smaller, and so is the parts bag.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:00 PM   #24
CatchmyCorsair
Registered Users

I must be missing something? Why is switching bellcranks to stock MA a big investment? I think for my flybarred EStratus I need the BW bellcranks. My flips are slow, even with KBDD paddles.

Norman, good to hear. Get her flying! Mine is packed away for winter hibernation. I'll only fly the 450 during fall and winter. Oh, and I bought an E36 M3, so I'm spending my weekends tearing up country roads before the snow falls. I'm having a blast!
CatchmyCorsair is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:18 PM   #25
Thrasymedes
NERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchmyCorsair View Post
I must be missing something? Why is switching bellcranks to stock MA a big investment? I think for my flybarred EStratus I need the BW bellcranks. My flips are slow, even with KBDD paddles.

Norman, good to hear. Get her flying! Mine is packed away for winter hibernation. I'll only fly the 450 during fall and winter. Oh, and I bought an E36 M3, so I'm spending my weekends tearing up country roads before the snow falls. I'm having a blast!
Congrats Steve, I know that was a wish of yours for sometime!

Very happy with how things have turned out today. Did a few more things and hope to solder up the ESC tomorrow and power it up partially using my 10S batteries. Want to set motor direction before putting in the pinion set screws.

But, mostly hope to get a couple of Razor flights in!

Will share some pics then.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #26
Laurens
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think mainly because of steering with an less then ideal flybarless setup takes too much power from the motor. I'm almost done with bootcamp, so after that I should have more time to play with heli's again. So far Im just not sure what to do with my Estratus project.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Laurens is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:59 AM   #27
Thrasymedes
NERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens View Post
I think mainly because of steering with an less then ideal flybarless setup takes too much power from the motor. I'm almost done with bootcamp, so after that I should have more time to play with heli's again. So far Im just not sure what to do with my Estratus project.
Ah, I see, so you are thinking maybe the off ratios driving the blades was loading the powertrain hard/quickly, and because of the governor you were getting sharp power spikes from the motor, and the gear was taking a beating?

You put all your power train into the RJX right? How is that flying?

Good luck with boot camp!
Old 11-07-2010, 09:53 PM   #28
Thrasymedes
NERD

Got very little done today, but I did fly which was way more of a priority than building.
  • I did manage to pin the boom.
  • Also ordered all the last tidbits to finish all things mechanical.
As promised, here are some update pics. The wiring is still a mess, but I will do that at the very last. There may be some other things "pop" up soon. Hope to decide on a canopy direction this week. The open area in front of the receiver will be a a mount for a gopro HD camera I hope!

My goal is the finished product will be an electric heli worthy of the MA name.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrostratus update 11 07 10 001.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	189153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrostratus update 11 07 10 002.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	189154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrostratus update 11 07 10 003.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	189155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrostratus update 11 07 10 004.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	189156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrostratus update 11 07 10 005.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	189157  

Old 11-07-2010, 10:02 PM   #29
Thrasymedes
NERD

Oh, and by the way, with the metal head and 710 blades, the Stratus is "whao" big. It makes my Razor 600 look a bit small. Well worth the extra long build time.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:30 AM   #30
Thrasymedes
NERD

Still on schedule, I hope! I am in the process of getting the canopy ordered. I found this one by Insane Canopy and my eyes exploded. I feel lucky, as things worked out in my favor to get one. I will be paying full price to Insane, but it won't be out of pocket from me, so whoot! I never win stuff in raffles or give-aways but I somehow lucked out on being able to do this.

I will still have my stock white fiberglass canopy that will go on for the maiden flight and until I get it trimmed out, then I will slip this on.....

They are going to do it on a Stratus canopy minus the nitro pipe cut-out. 4 to 6 weeks delivery so I need to get the order finished up, now! Hopefully it will be here in time!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	canopy_stratus.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	189975  
Old 11-13-2010, 11:15 AM   #31
prototype3a
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That's awesome! Isn't it just great when things work out?
prototype3a is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:36 PM   #32
Thrasymedes
NERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype3a View Post
That's awesome! Isn't it just great when things work out?
Thanks! And heck yeah!

Now that the canopy has been ordered, it is now time to show you guys what I had been talking about, as far as something I had been working on. Not that it has taken me a lot of time to design, I've just been busy with other aspects of the build.

Below is a rendering of a bottom base plate I have designed specifically for this project. It replaces the bottom plate that is designed specifically for mounting a nitro engine and fuel tank, with something more fitting of an electric model....

Some key differences this plate will include are:
  • The front mounting holes for the skid will be counter-bored like the rear ones. This is so the bolt head is recessed flush so that it does not interfere with the batteries.
  • The two pad strip areas are uncut and smooth so as to adhere velcro strips firmly to the plate, the rear is notched inward to save on weight, but without adding complicated routing time and leaving the appearance simple and clean.
  • There are two notches towards the front, left and right, as areas intended for velcro hook and loop straps I bought from Home Depot, to tie down the batteries snuggly.
This will be machined out of appox 5mm carbon fiber, same as the nitro plate. I might could have reduced the thickness, but I didn't want to stray from a known design element. It will mount and and function much as originally engineered, just more tailored to batteries.

Here is a picture of the original plate, to compare...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stratus_bottom.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	190002   Click image for larger version

Name:	ma126-20.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	190003  
Old 11-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #33
prototype3a
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not concerned about the skid screws tearing through the CF in a crash?
prototype3a is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:50 PM   #34
Thrasymedes
NERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype3a View Post
Not concerned about the skid screws tearing through the CF in a crash?
Not really, there will be more weight up front with the batts, but this piece on whole is already so tank like. Even with the added counter bore if I crash it hard enough to pop or crack that area the rest of my heli will probably scatter like the guts from a busted pinata.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:44 PM   #35
Thrasymedes
NERD

Just ordered a set of the Voltz 6S 5100 batteries. I sure hope they work well, the price was a lot less painful than 12S 5000's used to be. I remember when I first got into the heli portion of RC a 12S 5000 setup was a $700-$800 investment, at best. ....And I used to think $56 for my RC car battery was stiff....

That was one of the last pieces for this 2 year project!

I'm so excited now, I might pee myself....
Old 11-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #36
cgbole
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Na, we crashed several times and the bottom plate was the least of the worries..
I just bought a new frame set on RR so i can get mine put back together. It is the
newer type with tail servo under the boom, (no more lever). Also i noticed one frame
half is not cut out where the throttle servo went. This was a weak spot on the original.
I'll have to cut out a plate to reinforce the other side that is cut out for the servo.

Looks great Norman..
chuck
Scorpion
cgbole is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #37
Thrasymedes
NERD

Thanks Chuck! Also congrats on getting the parts you need, and looking forward to seeing your bird back in the air.

As this helicopter keeps coming together, I'm liking it more and more. I won't go into all the little details that I did this weekend to get it to the stage you see below. However, I will note that my fix for canopy clearance when using the 100th main gear was very simple....I just added two more canopy stand offs like the front ones, and like magic it clears the gear by plenty. Very simple, using a stock MA part.

Also another huge important note, I will not have to take the canopy off to change out the main batteries. I have just the right amount of room to easily access the batteries, and the battery straps. This is a huge plus for ease of use! No fidgeting with a canopy between every flight, ease in, ease out!

Closer and closer and closer.....and this point it's mostly the details.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Electrostratus update 11 14 10 001.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	190218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrostratus update 11 14 10 002.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	190219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrostratus update 11 14 10 003.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	190220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrostratus update 11 14 10 004.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	190221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrostratus update 11 14 10 005.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	190222  

Name:	Electrostratus update 11 14 10 006.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	190223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrostratus update 11 14 10 007.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	190224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrostratus update 11 14 10 008.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	190225  
Old 11-15-2010, 08:14 AM   #38
[X]Outlaw
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Looking very sweet man...I have just a few more things to do on my spectra conversion but it is also coming along well. I even managed to put my hands on a FAI tail pitch slider for it

I solved the canopy rubbing issue the same way except I used some JR standoffs from the Vibe 50.

If MA would make their own mounts for the conversion I'm sure alot more MA guys would give this a go.

I must say as an electric she looks very very clean and sleek! I hope I get to spool her up in a couple weeks.
[X]Outlaw is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:03 PM   #39
cgbole
Registered Users

My HF Map location

We were a little bit ahead of the times in '07 i guess.. There was a lot of interest in it when we first did it.
I guess i sold about 20 to 30 mounts.. Batteries were still high and really only 1 or 2 decent choices on motors.. Things are different in the E Heli world now..

chuck
Scorpion
cgbole is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #40
Thrasymedes
NERD

Default Prototype Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [X]Outlaw View Post
Looking very sweet man...I have just a few more things to do on my spectra conversion but it is also coming along well. I even managed to put my hands on a FAI tail pitch slider for it

I solved the canopy rubbing issue the same way except I used some JR standoffs from the Vibe 50.

If MA would make their own mounts for the conversion I'm sure alot more MA guys would give this a go.

I must say as an electric she looks very very clean and sleek! I hope I get to spool her up in a couple weeks.
Thanks [X]Outlaw! Glad you found that FAI slider you wanted, it is one saweet piece.

Made a prototype of the final new base plate design out of some foam core cardboard, cut with a hobby knife. I did a couple things to simplify it and also added a notch to put a hook and loop around the ESC. I didn't cut out the center section because I didn't think the proto material would be strong enough. This will hold me over until the real part gets here, and also to completely verify the design so I can be certain when I do get the part, it will fit up as planned. But mostly for fun.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Electrostratus update 11 15 10 001.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	190354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrostratus update 11 15 10 002.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	190355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrostratus update 11 15 10 003.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	190356  

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Electric

MA Electric IonX2, Razor and Furion Support forum