Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE


Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization


Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
nightflyr
Registered Users
 
Posts: 14,809
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Default FlyMentor Setup By Ivor Hill PLEASE READ FIRST!!

This was written by Ivor Hill to help all those who are interested in using the KSD Flymentor system

PLEASE....

Read though this first before asking hardware setup questions.
Any questions please post them in the FLIGHT Stabilization Forum as to not clutter the sticky.

Thank you!!! Freaks

This should answer and/or solve most of the installation issues associated with the KDS FlyMentor System
..


Any issues concerning software installation on a PC or radio system being used should be brought up on the main Forum to be answered.

Set Tx swash type to 1 servo, or H1
Aileron,Elevator trims and subtrims to 0,
End point to 100% and servo reverses to normal, except the throttle channel leave that at it is.
Set a linear pitch curve 0-25-50-75-100.
The plug with 3 wires from the FM module connects to the aileron portion the Rx
Yellow connects to Elevator port,
Orange connects to pitch port.
If you are using the FM tail gyro
Gray wire connects to the rudder port,
Green connects to the gyro gain port.

If you are using a separate tail gyro leave it connected as it is to the Rx,
and leave the gray and green wires disconnected.


The blue wire controls stabilization gain and is best left disconnected during set up.

If the elevator servo is rear mounted, looking at the helicopter from the rear .
The left hand servo connects to port 1 on FM,right hand servo to port 2 and elevator to port 3.
The black negative wire on the servo leads are closest to the USB port and line up with the USB sign.

If the elevator servo is front mounted,
The left servo to port 2 and right servo to port 1.
Leave the blue wire from the FM gyro disconnected for now.
If you are using the FM tail gyro connect tail servo to port 5 on FM.

Disconnect motor, power up TX and Helicopter,
LED on FM should be flashing green, and connect to Helibal Program

Check that swash type,blade direction and gyro camera directions are set correctly under the Helibal mounting tab.

Tip the helicopter and under the servo tab set the servo directions and send to FM so that when the helicopter is tipped, the swash moves to correct in the opposite direction.

If you can get aileron to operate, but not elevator the swap servo connections on FM ports 1 and 2 and start again.

Check stick directions and any that are incorrect reverse under the control tab and send to FM.
The next step is to re-level and center the swash.

First go to advance page and set balancer gain to 0 this will switch FM off and set stick midway 50%.
Looking at the heli from the side use the elevator neutral slider under the servo tab to level the swash, looking at the helicopter from the front use aileron slider to level the swash.
Then use pitch slider to set servo arms at 90 degrees. You will not get all servo at exactly at 90 degrees just get them as close as possible.
Now fit a pitch gauge and under the control tab use pitch slider to set pitch range.
Set balancer gain back to + 70.

Because the blue wire is disconnected, The FM gain it controlled by Helibal.

I recommend you test fly and adjust the gain in Helibal for your first flights before connecting the blue wire and attempting to control gain with your TX,
Unless you are 100% sure you know what you are doing.

With the helicopter in position mode ( green light ) if the helicopter rocks side to side and fore and aft ( dancing ) in a hover reduce the gain just enough to stop it.

If the helicopter is not dancing increase the gain until it does and then reduce just enough to stop it.
Just like setting the gain on a tail gyro.
You may also need to use a little TX trim to stop the helicopter drifting.

If you are using the FM tail gyro,
You will first need to switch it to normal mode with a gain value of about 25, either with your TX if the green wire is connected or by using the slider on the tail page in Helibal
if the green wire is disconnected.

Once in normal mode the tail servo will move to center, set the tail slider so that it is a little off center ( this is to counter the rotor torque)
Test fly and slide the servo along the boom until the helicopter will hover without stick input or trim. ( RATE MODE )
Set the travel so that the tail slider and servo do not bind or buzz .
switch back to HH and set the best gain.
You may need to use a little TX trim for best performance.
Note, when you switch to HH the tail servo will drift to one end, this is normal and it will sort itself out when you lift off into a hover, help it a little with the rudder stick.
Note, If the blue wire is connected stabilization gain is controlled and adjusted in the TX and adjusting it in Helibal will have no effect, if it is disconnected stabilization gain is adjusted in Helibal.
The green wire for gyro gain works in the same way. Connected,controlled by TX disconnected controlled in Helibal.

I wanted to add that I use Align PU Gel and velcro strap to mount the gyro. I have found it quite good for isolating against vibrations but does not hold the gyro very well,hence the velcro strap that is supplied with the gell.
To test that FM is not being effected by vibration. Power up in position mode with gain at factory preset +70, tip heli and check that the swash is reacting correctly, moving in the opposite direction to correct the tip.
Pin the heli down so it cannot take off and run it up to speed. The blades and flybar should remain level,
if they tip then you have to much vibration and flying the helicopter will result in a crash.
Do not forget to save your cfg file after you have set up FM.


Just a note here when you get "as close as possible to 90" and you can get very close (if not dead on it... you should not worry about the swash level until to do after you get the arms all at 90 now adjust your linkages per finless bobs ccpm video where mixing arms are level and you have 0 pitch in the middle of your swashes travel range. Also after you have verified it corrects the swash the right way and the controls move with the stick the right way you need to be sure you set fm to off (solid red LED)for all of the 90 and leveling steps.
A handy tip someone told me was to set my throttle hold pitch curve to 0, 50, 50, 50, 100 so it was easy the nail mid stick and didnt encourage cheating(ie the stick at close to 9/16 or 7/16 for 0 pitch...
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Last edited by nightflyr; 01-04-2011 at 05:19 AM..
nightflyr is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
JerryB
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Louisiana
Default flymentor

first of all great notes it help me alot this system is not an ez add on, i have a HK 500 i mounted mine on and after reading your message and looking my heli over i"m sure i have it all set up right but when i try taking off it wants to fly to the right every time, then i tried trimming it out more still the same thing any ideas what i can try next? thanks for your help!
__________________
CrashnBurns
JerryB is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
Ivor Hill
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Plymouth devon UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
first of all great notes it help me alot this system is not an ez add on, i have a HK 500 i mounted mine on and after reading your message and looking my heli over i"m sure i have it all set up right but when i try taking off it wants to fly to the right every time, then i tried trimming it out more still the same thing any ideas what i can try next? thanks for your help!
Pin the heli down so that it cannot fly and run it up to speed with FM in position mode 60% gain. The blades should remain level, if they do not then you have vibration problems or you are useing an unsuitable gyro pad.
If the blades remain level then the swash needs re-setting useing helibal servo neutrals and or mechanicle settings.
It should only be necassary to use a few clicks of TX trim.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:34 AM   #4
JerryB
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Louisiana
Default flymentor

thanks i will try that this weekend, this is a new heli a TT model and it does seem to viberate unlike the belt version.
__________________
CrashnBurns
JerryB is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
goodsamaritan
AKA SN Hobbies
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: United States
Default

You can also use setup card for trimming?
goodsamaritan is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
Ivor Hill
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Plymouth devon UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodsamaritan View Post
You can also use setup card for trimming?
Yes you can, If you have to use more that a few clicks of trim then you should reset useing the software, handheld controler or adjust mechanical set up. FM does not like a lot of radio trim.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #7
sarell
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Africa
Default

Hi I have a Flymentor installed on A trex 450 XL every thing works fine but if I Tilt the heli forwars or backwards there is no response from the elevator to compensate the movement . The green light flick . I am using a DX7 radio - I checked the wires according to the manual . The swash plate and all controles are working in the correct direction what can be wrong . ( I didnt do any mixing on Mix1 and Mix 2 yet
Sarel
sarell is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #8
Ivor Hill
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Plymouth devon UK
Default

Is the blue wire disconnected ?. Is the gyro connected to the modual the correct way around, have you changed any of the settings on the advance page ?, is the Tx set for single servo operation,end points set to 100%, subtrims 0 ?.
Did you follow the intructions and set the servos to move in the correct way when you tipped the heli under the servo tab before you set up stick directions under the control tab.
Are you saying it corrects ok on aileron but not on elevator
Are the servos moving at all when you tip the hel forwards.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
Fayez-27
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Default Kds flymentor setup

Hi I have a copterx 450se
I can't get the kds flymentor right
I am using the walkera 2801pro receiver and controller
Ds410m servos hobbyking esc 70-80a
Scorpion 5300kv motor
And I can't use helibal as it's not installing propley on my pc
So I bought the kds programing card
I got it all wired up but it's not runnig right it doesn't stablise
And I can't get it to run as an auto pilot so can any one help with the setup
** when I tilt the heli to left the swash plate goes left
It's not turning in the opposite direction **
Fayez-27 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:20 PM   #10
Livonia bob
 

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Livonia Michigan
Default

I have installed Flymentor on a Copter X 250,, using DX6i, everything is working the right way BUT the CCD. It's doing everything backwards. Move heli forward it says go faster move it backward it says go fast same right and left.. Balance mode is working correctly, rudder is OK.. Just seems the camera is backwards. I have it mounted with arrow to rear as is the gyro, but gyro is mounted upside down.. Using card reader mounting is set to rear.. Any easy way to set this up right??
Livonia bob is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:00 PM   #11
Ivor Hill
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Plymouth devon UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayez-27 View Post
Hi I have a copterx 450se
I can't get the kds flymentor right
I am using the walkera 2801pro receiver and controller
Ds410m servos hobbyking esc 70-80a
Scorpion 5300kv motor
And I can't use helibal as it's not installing propley on my pc
So I bought the kds programing card
I got it all wired up but it's not runnig right it doesn't stablise
And I can't get it to run as an auto pilot so can any one help with the setup
** when I tilt the heli to left the swash plate goes left
It's not turning in the opposite direction **
Well if the swash is tipping at all it must mean that FM has initialized ( flashing green light ) and is working. So follow the set up instructions above they are written for the pc programme so you will have to adapt them for the hand held unit the procedureis the same.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #12
Ivor Hill
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Plymouth devon UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livonia bob View Post
I have installed Flymentor on a Copter X 250,, using DX6i, everything is working the right way BUT the CCD. It's doing everything backwards. Move heli forward it says go faster move it backward it says go fast same right and left.. Balance mode is working correctly, rudder is OK.. Just seems the camera is backwards. I have it mounted with arrow to rear as is the gyro, but gyro is mounted upside down.. Using card reader mounting is set to rear.. Any easy way to set this up right??
My best guess is that because the gyro is fitted upside down it is working in the opposite direction so I guess the fix will be to turn the camera around. Have you tried it ?.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:17 AM   #13
Livonia bob
 

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Livonia Michigan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivor Hill View Post
My best guess is that because the gyro is fitted upside down it is working in the opposite direction so I guess the fix will be to turn the camera around. Have you tried it ?.
Yes I have tried to just turn the camera around... Others have said that they got it to work but didn't say how.. So I'll keep trying but as you know this all gets confusing after awhile.. I would just fit the gyro right side up but I run into a interference problem with the boom struts when mounted this way.. I guess I could just remove them..
Livonia bob is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #14
Ivor Hill
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Plymouth devon UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livonia bob View Post
Yes I have tried to just turn the camera around... Others have said that they got it to work but didn't say how.. So I'll keep trying but as you know this all gets confusing after awhile.. I would just fit the gyro right side up but I run into a interference problem with the boom struts when mounted this way.. I guess I could just remove them..
Yes you are right it gets confusing, if you sort it please let us know how.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:46 PM   #15
helican
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: canada,ontario
Default

Just upgrade to a 450....lots of room for the FM gyro.
helican is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:41 PM   #16
fastboyy
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ohio
Default

Thanks Ivor for the helpful information. I am awaiting delivery of my FM but I saw this thread and I am glad I visited. I am a little confused (OK, maybe more than a little) by the reference to retaining an existing tail servo/gyro setup. Is there an advantage to using a separate gyro rather than using the FM for all axes stabilization?
fastboyy is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:32 AM   #17
Ivor Hill
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Plymouth devon UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboyy View Post
Thanks Ivor for the helpful information. I am awaiting delivery of my FM but I saw this thread and I am glad I visited. I am a little confused (OK, maybe more than a little) by the reference to retaining an existing tail servo/gyro setup. Is there an advantage to using a separate gyro rather than using the FM for all axes stabilization?
It depends on the quality of your existing gyro. The gyro in Flymentor is only as good as a cheap piezo gyro. If you are useing a quality gyro you will not be happy with the Flymentor gyro so it would be best to retain your existing one. If you use your existing gyro the Flymentor gyro still has to be fitted because it also contains the stabilization gyro,so you would have 2 gyro's fitted to your heli.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #18
helican
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: canada,ontario
Default

Ivor, I have a MY401, is it better than the FM gyro??? Just wondering, I'm also a newbie on the FM and I'm trying top get the best preformance for the price.
helican is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #19
Ivor Hill
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Plymouth devon UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helican View Post
Ivor, I have a MY401, is it better than the FM gyro??? Just wondering, I'm also a newbie on the FM and I'm trying top get the best preformance for the price.
IMHO the MY401 is no better than the Flymentor gyro.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #20
fastboyy
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ohio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivor Hill View Post
It depends on the quality of your existing gyro. The gyro in Flymentor is only as good as a cheap piezo gyro. If you are useing a quality gyro you will not be happy with the Flymentor gyro so it would be best to retain your existing one. If you use your existing gyro the Flymentor gyro still has to be fitted because it also contains the stabilization gyro,so you would have 2 gyro's fitted to your heli.
Thank you Ivor. I have a cheap gyro, so maybe I should upgrade. Any suggestions?
fastboyy is offline        Reply With Quote
Reply




Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization


Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Copyright © 2004-2011 - William James - Helifreak.com