Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

Old 06-22-2014, 01:18 AM   #721
HK500Pilot
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivor Hill View Post
Sorry I am confused, are you using a separate tail gyro or the FM tail gyro. If you are using a separate tail gyro then it should be connected and adjusted as it was before fitting FM and has no connection with FM
If you are using the FM tail gyro then the green wire should be connected to the channel you were using before fitting FM to control tail gyro gain and so should respond to adjustments made in the transmitter if the transmitter is set correctly.
Btw if you are using a separate tail gyro some gyro have to be powered up in either HH or normal cant remember which, check in the manuel.
Thanks for the reply, the model in question is using the Flymentor tail gyro, not a separate unit. I have the Flymentor plugged into the receiver just like I did with my previous set up usin Flymentor however the gyro is not responding to adjustments within the gyro menu to stop the tail wag.

The only way I have been able to get the heli to fly without tail wag is remove the green wire from the receiver that was in Aux2 or channel 7 and adjust the gyro gain through the Flymentor field programming box.

I would like to adjust the gyro gain through the transmitter and I'm really confused at this point as to why its not responding to transmitter gain adjustment. Its been verified that the transmitter is set up correctly.

Is there something specific that I'm overlooking within the Flymentor programming box under the tail gyro section that I don't have set correctly that is over riding the transmitter gain adjustment?

Thanks again for the help.
HK500Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:58 PM   #722
Ivor Hill
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK500Pilot View Post
Thanks for the reply, the model in question is using the Flymentor tail gyro, not a separate unit. I have the Flymentor plugged into the receiver just like I did with my previous set up usin Flymentor however the gyro is not responding to adjustments within the gyro menu to stop the tail wag.

The only way I have been able to get the heli to fly without tail wag is remove the green wire from the receiver that was in Aux2 or channel 7 and adjust the gyro gain through the Flymentor field programming box.

I would like to adjust the gyro gain through the transmitter and I'm really confused at this point as to why its not responding to transmitter gain adjustment. Its been verified that the transmitter is set up correctly.

Is there something specific that I'm overlooking within the Flymentor programming box under the tail gyro section that I don't have set correctly that is over riding the transmitter gain adjustment?

Thanks again for the help.
Bit puzzled, Aux 7 is the channel normally use to control FM modes, blue wire.
Tail gyro gain is normally channel 5, green wire.
No nothing to set in the FM programme, just plugin the green wire and it will disable the FM setting and give control to the TX.
If you think there is a problem with the green wire then plug the blue wire into the gyro gain channel and adjust the gyro gain on the TX from zero to max and if there is an output you will see FM change modes. But first check that you are using the correct channel, I am a Futaba user but unless I am missing something I see no reason why you are using channel 7 to control tail gyro gain. As I said normally channel 5 is the tail gyro gain control channel. Channel 7 is a spare channel and that is the one you would use to control FM gain and modes.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:39 PM   #723
HK500Pilot
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivor Hill View Post
Bit puzzled, Aux 7 is the channel normally use to control FM modes, blue wire.
Tail gyro gain is normally channel 5, green wire.
No nothing to set in the FM programme, just plugin the green wire and it will disable the FM setting and give control to the TX.
If you think there is a problem with the green wire then plug the blue wire into the gyro gain channel and adjust the gyro gain on the TX from zero to max and if there is an output you will see FM change modes. But first check that you are using the correct channel, I am a Futaba user but unless I am missing something I see no reason why you are using channel 7 to control tail gyro gain. As I said normally channel 5 is the tail gyro gain control channel. Channel 7 is a spare channel and that is the one you would use to control FM gain and modes.
But the KDS Flymentor manual states to plug the blue wire into the channel 5 position and green wire to 7. Well I guess this is obviously my problem because I have it plugged in as the manual suggests, not like you mentioned above. I'll try swapping the connections and see what difference it makes.

Thank you for the help.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:07 PM   #724
aerocal
Registered Users

Quote:
But the KDS Flymentor manual states to plug the blue wire into the channel 5 position and green wire to 7. Well I guess this is obviously my problem because I have it plugged in as the manual suggests, not like you mentioned above. I'll try swapping the connections and see what difference it makes.

Thank you for the help.
Thats where everything went terribly wrong.We read the manual. Im kinda stunned.
HELIFREAK !!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
aerocal is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:03 PM   #725
HK500Pilot
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
Thats where everything went terribly wrong.We read the manual. Im kinda stunned.

Ok folks, just got back from putting 5 packs through the heli. I swapped the blue and green wires on the AR8000, I currently have the green FM wire in the GEAR channel and the blue in AUX2 or channel 7. The heli now responds to gyro gain adjustments within the DX8. The tail is rock solid and I'm once again very pleased with the overall stability of of this heli. I did back down the gain on the FM within the balancer section as well as the CCD gain to stop some of the bumpy and jumpy behavior when the heli would get hit with the occasional wind gust.

So, it appears this situation is fixed at the moment and the heli flys great.

I really appreciate everyones help and input getting this problem resolved. Thank you!
Old 06-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #726
Ivor Hill
Registered Users

Quote:
Ok folks, just got back from putting 5 packs through the heli. I swapped the blue and green wires on the AR8000, I currently have the green FM wire in the GEAR channel and the blue in AUX2 or channel 7. The heli now responds to gyro gain adjustments within the DX8. The tail is rock solid and I'm once again very pleased with the overall stability of of this heli. I did back down the gain on the FM within the balancer section as well as the CCD gain to stop some of the bumpy and jumpy behavior when the heli would get hit with the occasional wind gust.

So, it appears this situation is fixed at the moment and the heli flys great.

I really appreciate everyones help and input getting this problem resolved. Thank you!
I had forgotten, The first manuals produced did have these wires crossed but it was corrected years ago so you must be using a very old one, it is correct in the sticky though. Anyway glad you got it sorted, have fun.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:15 AM   #727
HK500Pilot
Registered Users

I will be setting up a HK450 Pro V2 in the near future and installing a Flymentor as well. Do you feel the HK401B (Futaba GY401 clone) is a better gyro than the KDS unit?

I've read that some people have had some problems with the early HK401B gyros but the newer redesigned blue case versions are higher quality and have a much better track record. This is the version I have sitting around waiting to be put to use.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:42 PM   #728
BassetCopter
Registered Users

I am using KDS x7ii Tx. Got Flymentor set up almost done, just one problem. I have leveled the swash at half stick but when I move the throttle up or down from there the elevator has much more travel than the other two servos. Servo travel is on 100 in TX as well as in Flymentor. I am using the PPC. How do I sort this out?
BassetCopter is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:16 AM   #729
BassetCopter
Registered Users

Got it sorted out. Started from the beginning and did everything over. Don't know what was wrong, but it isn't anymore.... Now for fine tuning, got a little drift to sort out.
BassetCopter is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:23 PM   #730
HK500Pilot
Registered Users

Quote:
I will be setting up a HK450 Pro V2 in the near future and installing a Flymentor as well. Do you feel the HK401B (Futaba GY401 clone) is a better gyro than the KDS unit?

I've read that some people have had some problems with the early HK401B gyros but the newer redesigned blue case versions are higher quality and have a much better track record. This is the version I have sitting around waiting to be put to use.

Thanks for the help.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 07-11-2014, 05:10 PM   #731
Ivor Hill
Registered Users

Quote:

Thanks for the help.
Never been impressed with this gyro imo no better than the FM gyro. Have a look at the Assan GA250 Very cheap, works well and is half the size of the HK401B.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:28 PM   #732
HK500Pilot
Registered Users

Thank you for your opinion, its appreciated. I think I'll initially set up the 450 with the FM gyro and see how it trims out. If the tail is not as stable as my Trex 500 with FM gyro I will look into the Assan gyro you mentioned.

Ivor, once again thank you for all of your help. I'm really enjoying my 500 that you helped me get set up.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:52 AM   #733
HK500Pilot
Registered Users

Quote:
Thank you for your opinion, its appreciated. I think I'll initially set up the 450 with the FM gyro and see how it trims out. If the tail is not as stable as my Trex 500 with FM gyro I will look into the Assan gyro you mentioned.

Ivor, once again thank you for all of your help. I'm really enjoying my 500 that you helped me get set up.
Hello, the 450 is assembled and I'm in the process of setting up the FM. The problem is that the FM will not initialize with a green flashing light when the heli is sitting upright on the skids. The only way I can get it to initialize with a green flashing light is to lay the helicopter on its side and power it up. Also, when plugging in the field programmer box it constantly says connecting and will not advance to the set up menu. This happens regardless of the position the heli is in, sitting on its skids or laying down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-20-2014, 06:22 AM   #734
vespine
Registered Users

hey all, i'm trying to get a flymentor running on my hk450, but I can't get it to initlaize. With the gyro plugged in, i get a sequence of 4 flashing red leds. if I unplug the gyro it initializes, then if I disconnect the battery and plug the gyro in and then start it up I get a swash dance

i took a clip of it..

Do you think my unit is faulty?

I've been playing with it for 3 days, I have got helibal working and I've played with the gains and swapping modes etc, but I just can't seem to get it working with the gyro. Unfortunately I don't have a spare gyro to test with. the modes don't really seem to "work" without the gyro, the servos sort of move a little when I move the heli, but not really "reliably" if you know what I mean, and I can't get the rudder servo to centre or move much at all.

I've done a factory reset and worked out how to get the servos moving in the correct direction without the gyro plugged in, but, yeah, I'm pretty convinced it's not really doing what it's supposed to be doing..

Do you think I have a faulty unit or is there something else I can try?
vespine is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:00 PM   #735
Ivor Hill
Registered Users

Be sure you are using a good and charged battery and try this. Disconnect the FM power supply from the receiver ( plug with 3 wires ) power up the transmitter and receiver and then reconnect the FM power supply. This is not likely to work but give it a try. If it does work then the problem is likely to be that FM is initializing faster than the receiver and so does not detect the receiver signal soon enough.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:06 PM   #736
vespine
Registered Users

Thanks for the reply. I did try initializing FB first. The thing is, it seems to initialize if i don't plug in the FM gyro, I configured the servos in helibal and I can get the mode to change using the software, in tracking mode it seems to work, if i move my hand under the camera the servos react, but when i put it into horizontal mode it doesn't seem to do anything even after moving the sticks, servos don't even sing when i move the heli, and i cant get the tail to work no matter what i do. Unfortunately i don't have an external gyro to try this with at the moment, i've ordered one from hobbyking, should come this week..

Should the servos react In horizontal mode without the gyro plugged in? This is really what I bought the unit for, I'm already ok at hovering..
Old Today, 06:17 AM   #737
vespine
Registered Users

Can someone tell me if I use an external gyro and balancer gain is set to -70 (horizontal mode), should the servos react when I move the heli? They react in position mode, but in horizontal mode they do nothing.
Old Today, 06:49 PM   #738
Ivor Hill
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespine View Post
Can someone tell me if I use an external gyro and balancer gain is set to -70 (horizontal mode), should the servos react when I move the heli? They react in position mode, but in horizontal mode they do nothing.
Not clear. Flymentor will only work with the Flymentor gyro except for the tail
an external gyro can be use for that. If the flymentor gyro is being used then yes in horizontal made the servo should react to correct when you tip the heli
The camera only works in positional mode up to about 9 feet above that then it will auto switch to horizontal mode.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization