Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > Phoenix Flight Sim

Phoenix Flight Sim Phoenix Flight Sim

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 12:57 AM   #61
captJac
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by antricos View Post
I started this hobby about 3 months ago and I already crashed and fixed my Blade SR . I now bought the simulator and a mcpx to learn on.
mCPx is an excellent bird for learning 3D but a real handful for learning how to fly. For orientation training the MSR or CB100 is a lot more beginner friendly. Check your msg box for Skype info and scheduling.

captJac
Old 09-16-2011, 07:12 AM   #62
naorsc
Registered Users

Smile my first lesson

Just had my first complete lesson with the Jack and I cannot thank him enough.
first of all i have to mention the quick responds to the PM i sent. right away we sat time to the week after. That was great.
Where should i start? Jack took me through setup of the Phoenix Simulator so it will reflect my situation. someone who lears to hover! I had those settings for my Helicopter but not on the SIM! that was great to get the negativ pitch away, to have some expo on the cyclic and so on.
probebly saved me a lot of manual reading and i would probably never know how to set these correctly without his kindness. PRICELESS!
than i started to try to lift the bird right up. any questions i had were answered right away.Jack explained what to expect and what not to expect and he was very kind to share his knowledge in this area.
i learned about HH mode and Rate mode and by the best way to learn: by experiancing the differences by myself! PRICELESS!
Jack explained how to operate the cyclic stick which was very helpfull.

now i got some homework to do before i leave a new PM to Jack to show him how i am doing.

thanx a lot for your guidance!
i really suggest all of you who are new to this hobby (like me...) to get in touch with Jack.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:12 PM   #63
stayingyoung16
Registered Users

would appreciate a lesson on the Phoenix . let me know when it might be possible.

Marty Z
Old 09-16-2011, 01:47 PM   #64
captJac

Hi Marty - 3 steps to get you scheduled. 1st step is check your msg box.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:46 PM   #65
EightmanVT
Registered Users

Wow! What a great thread. I'd love to sign up for some instruction.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:29 AM   #66
Tiwas
Registered Users

Hi guys,

Had my first lesson with Capt Jack on Saturday. We'd set a time for 7 PM, but after his wife told him he had stuff to do he gave me my first surprise - he set an earlier time. If it was me, I'd cancel and tell the free student to sit on his hands. Jack got me in the same cudos - a brave man

As others have noted, the Captain is a very patient man. I had no flying experience, but plenty of crashing experience. I've had a few extremely exciting seconds with my 120SR in the air trying to keep me and my dog safe as it was maliciously attacking us (I don't see how that could be because of my attempts at flying! :p ). I still don't call what I've done flying. He got me through some take offs, explained to me how the heli actually works. I probably would have killed me some time during the lesson, but the Captain kept his calm.

Close to the end of the lesson, I got to teach the Captain how vikings would crash helicopters, which was interesting. Apparently, he'd never seen anything like it :p

So - thanks, Jack! This was a great experience, and with a little more courage (we don't have to try to decide if that's a good thing or not :p ) I got my 120 in the air in the office this morning and managed to fly it around without knocking anything down. I even managed to get it out of the way as the cleaning lady suddenly came around the corner. A few days ago that would probably end with me taking her to the hospital

Cheers!
Old 09-25-2011, 10:11 PM   #67
Jules42
Registered Users

Looks like a great service!!
Old 09-28-2011, 01:21 AM   #68
captJac

In one of the recent messages I pondered over in writing - perhaps some of it merits posting here for those who are pondering about the same thing?

.................................... .. --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recommend training in progressive steps before trying to take off with a collective-pitch. Start with coaxial for orientation training indoors like an MCX - this will be relatively easy but relative easy will encourage instead of discourage. Next step would be single rotor fixed-pitch 45 degree flybar like the MSR or CB100. This will start giving you the feel for a collective-pitch - is a great indoor trainer - forgiving - crash resistant - and a heck of a lot of fun to fly. The 450 is also fun to fly but that comes with a high price. It is everything but forgiving or crash resistant and takes hours and hours of training and discipline. Phoenix is only as good as the setup - and therein lies the difficulty. There are 1000's of variables (quite literally) in Phoenix - which is why I spend the first hour with students going through the setup and talking about what each one does. The setup I do depends on the student and the radio - there is no fixed list. Collective-pitch helicopters are NOT self stabilizing which means you have to be moving those sticks continuously at EXACTLY at the right time or you end up over-controlling and oscillating and usually crashing. The simulator is great but it does have its limits and without instruction usually ends up as an expensive game.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #69
jfluegel
Registered Users

Hi Captain,

Just wanted to check in with you and give you an update on the past two weeks since our lesson. I am doing pretty good at tail in can hold a decent solid hover for a few minutes (some of the time). Started on side in the other day and starting to have some sucess there as well. Can maintain it inside the square box for 20 to 60 seconds. Today started attempting nose in. Now there is some fun for you.

Starting trying to hover my T-rex 450 but have only managed a few real attempts due to high wind conditions and excessive tail wag. Got the tail wag almost eliminated but not quite all of it but it is at least flyable. Had a little blade strike yesterday due to being distracted by a guy walking his dog up behind me. Will not keep my back to the street anymore after this. Only bent the main shaft and flybar shaft and broke the belt. I found a good deal on a used Blade 400 the other day so I will get that tomorrow. Looks like the parts are lot less expensive than the T-rex and maybe a little easier to handle?

At what point would I be ready for a second lesson with you?
Old 09-29-2011, 04:08 AM   #70
captJac

Sounds like you are making great progress and DEFINITELY ready for another session. Let me know how your schedule looks for next week. A couple of exercises you can be doing for preparation - tail-in hovering holding constant altitude (3 feet) and transitioning to forward flight - backward flight - rolling left - rolling right. Try to keep it in the box (or almost in the box).

Crashes are part of training. If you aren't crashing you probably aren't learning. The chances of crashing go up exponentially if your helicopter is not setup correctly. Tail wag is usually caused by too much gyro gain. Flying in the wind adds a whole new dimension to flying and an almost guaranteed crash for anything more than leaves rustling in the tree. Cost of replacement parts also goes up exponentially in the wind - not because of the price but how many times you will be ordering parts. It is fun to fix them the first 20 times - after that it becomes work. Trying to save money on clones or wanna-bees (like the Blade 400) is a false economy. The only way you can save money is to minimize your crashes. Do your crashes on the simulator - not the real world. Align parts are a little more expensive but in this hobby you get what you pay for. Those who buy clones end up with an Align with all the replacement parts they put in them.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:17 AM   #71
Sirolf
Registered Users

Don't know if this is the right place to ask....but

can you really learn good collective management on a sim..?

Reason is ask is because tictoc on Phoenix are so damn easy,
but for real it kicks my youknowwhat.....

I already altered some setting in the sim like lower power and slower collective respons,
but i can keep on doing it..

Opinions?

Thanks
Old 09-29-2011, 06:26 AM   #72
Guddler
Registered Users

I think for the kind of basic orientation training that we're talking about here, yes, certainly you can. As far as more advanced 3D training, I wouldn't know since I'm not anywhere near that point yet. But I would guess that you can at least use it to work out what you need to do to the sticks in order to get the desired result.

I think you certainly have to tweak the settings in Phoenix a lot to get it realistic. For starters, one thing not everyone realises is that by default all the models are set at 50% in terms of overall stability / realism (at work so don't know what the setting is called!). So first thing is to whack that up to 100% straight away for each model you use.

A mate and I spent about an hour and a half messing with the settings on the MCPx in Phoenix when I got mine (MCPx that is) and at the end we both felt it was a reasonable representation. At least more so than stock setup.

Look at it this way, and this may or may not be true, it's just my opinion. Phoenix is now owned by Horizon Hobby. So for the E-Flite models at least, it's going to be in their interests to hit a balance between reality and stability. The more potential buyers get Phoenix and then believe they can easily cope with an SR or Blade 450 or something, and thus go off and buy the real thing, the more sales they get! Seems fairly obvious to me that it would be that way.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:31 AM   #73
Guddler
Registered Users

Oh, and as far as my training goes, I can manage a hover very well now and have been getting on reasonably ok with going forward and backwards down the line, although it could do with being a bit more controlled.

I managed a couple of circuits on the MCPx (real world) at the weekend before nose diving in into the ground on a turn. They were huge circuits though so need to get them smaller and more controlled - as always.

Unfortunately other things have been getting in the way so I've gone backwards a bit. The DIY / building projects are nearly finished (this weekend hopefully). The Trex 450 Sport is almost built - again, this weekend hopefully. That just leaves about another week of catching up on other stuff around the place that I won't bore everyone with and then I can hope to get back into a bit of training. Although my new pinball will be here by then, that might be a distraction
Old 09-29-2011, 08:22 AM   #74
Sirolf
Registered Users

Could you specify which settings you bump up to 100%..?
Caus not all of them should be 100 me thinks...
Old 09-29-2011, 08:26 AM   #75
Guddler
Registered Users

You would be correct

It's only the one setting that directly relates to the "difficulty" or "realism" or whatever it's called. Like I say, I'm at work at the moment so don't know. In advanced mode config I seem to recall that it's the very first setting?

If that doesn't sound right then I'll look it up tonight. Unless someone can reply before...
Old 09-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #76
Sirolf
Registered Users

I also would have to see tonight.

I fiddled with a lot if not all the settings.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:04 AM   #77
captJac

There's a LOT of hidden doors and passage ways in Phoenix - and each one leads to another hidden door. Sort of like playing Dragons and Dungeons!!

To adjust the easy-hard-impossible scale - click on Model -click on Edit. Make sure the Detailed (bottom tab) is highlighted. Click on the top blue band Physical - move the Model setup slider from 50% to 100%.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:19 AM   #78
Sirolf
Registered Users

And what does that do exactly?

I'm at work I can't try it.. will do when i get home
Old 09-29-2011, 11:24 AM   #79
captJac

When you put your mouse on the slider it will pop up a window that explains the effect it has. 100% closely simulates the real world for basic training - I have no experience with tictocs and wing-dings.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:58 PM   #80
Sirolf
Registered Users

I'm behind the sim as I type this...
The model-setup slider is nothing more than a simple setup mode.

Sliding up to 100% increase parameters such as pitch, motorpower, cyclic speed all
at once so you don't have to fiddle with individual settings.

So i'll just leave mine at 50% and finetune how i feel like..
Closed Thread

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > Phoenix Flight Sim

Phoenix Flight Sim Phoenix Flight Sim