Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gas Powered Thoughts

Gas Powered Thoughts Advice for Gas Helicopter Success from Carey Shurley

Old 08-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
carey shurley
Registered Users

Default Engines - HWC G290RC-EI 3D Extreme

HWC G290RC-EI - 3D Extreme

The latest engine from HWC engines is the new G290RC with EI system. HWC has been producing engines in the PUH format for over a year now but this marks the first time an EI system has been offered for a production version of the RC motor

Similar to the PUH engines, the G290RC is offered in a package which includes a removeable pull starter and an air filter as well as the EI system

Based on the 28.5cc engine HWC combines their high performance intake, exhaust and balance modifications.

These are the same specifications as the proven HWC G29 PUH 3D Extreme but have been adapted to the RC format resulting in the G290RC 3D Extreme.

HWC G290RC-EI package

HWC has a custom made EI system programmed with the proper spark advance for RPMs as high as 25,000. This moving ignition timing is a significant difference of the standard magneto ignition system which has fixed spark timing

Also included is an NGK CMR7H spark plug which is the std for this type of motor

Custom programmed EI system - timed for up to 25,000 RPMs

Also new for the RC engine format is the concept of a removeable pull starter. Using as standard Zenoah pull start, HWC has developed the proper mounting to make this removeable after starting the engine. This is a weight savings of about 5oz

Pull starter parts

Also included is the Century air filter. This is a high volume system thats easy to install and with chrome accents looks sharp on your model

Century Air Filter assembly

The standard Zenoah fuel system parts are included, which includes a felt fuel clunk (which is a must) and the highly flexible Zenoah fuel tubing which is perfect for plumbing the clunk inside the fuel tank

Included fuel plumbing parts

The cooling system on the engine is unique, HWC has created a custom made, lightweight aluminum cooling fan. Since this is an EI powered engine the heavier magneto magnets are not needed.

HWC Cooling system

And as you can see, the fan is quite ample. Its a dual row fan with huge fan blades. The pull start engagement cog is a separate hub that bolts onto the crankshaft

High performance custom fan is standard equipment

Although the fan diameters are similar, as you can see there are significant differences in the mass of the fan/engine flywheel.

The HWC cooling fan components weighs 4.9oz (fan, hub, bolts, starter cog) where the std Zenoah magneto/fan wheel weighs 7.7oz. Almost a 3 oz weight savings

HWC fan on the left - std Zenoah fan on the right

The fan mounts to this hub which keys onto the rear of the crankshaft to ensure the proper ignition timing without the need to set the timing. You can see the trigger magnet and the pickup which mounts directly to the crankcase

EI fan hub

Here you can see the EI pickup wire where it exits the crankcase. By going through the fan housing opening it simplifies wire routing as this needs to connect to the EI controller

EI Trigger wire

The EI system weighs 3.6oz, the std zenoah rc ignition coil weighs 4.6oz - a 1 oz savings

Zenoah primary ignition coil on right, new EI system on left

The standard pull starter for the PUH motor is used here and it mounts to a custom made removeable plate

Pull starter parts

the pull starter fits over 4 mounting lugs on the fan housing that make the assembly easy to install and remove or it can be permanently tightened into place

A std Zenoah RC pull start weights 3.5oz - so if you remove the now removeable starter you've saved 3.5 oz.

Century Pull starter installed

Installing the Century air filter uses two components, first this threaded based is installed on the carburetor

Air filter base installed

and then the high volume air filter threads into the base as shown

Century air filter installed

An optional component from Century is the Torpedo Slim muffler. This light weight muffler is designed to complement the tuning of the HWC 3D Extreme engine and continues to be the lightest weight muffler on the market

Optional Century Torpedo Slim muffler

Options

Most of you who read my stuff know that I have my own way of doing things that is based on years of experience or frankly just what I like.

In this case, I've made some changes to the fan area. Since I NEVER pull start unless the model allows no other option, I removed the pull start adapter hub and replaced it with an 8mm nut to make sure the fan hub can't get loose

Pull start hub replaced

Then I removed the four retainers that the pull start assembly uses to stay engaged to the engine body

Pull start retainers removed

Finally I installed an ADA machined aluminum fan cover. These things look great and cover the exposed fan assembly

Fan cover installed]

Video Narrative

The Bottom Line

HWC has brought the weight savings of their custom EI system to the RC engine format. You get the weight savings and performance enhancements of an advancing timing ignition system but maintains the excellent cooling qualities that the RC engine is known for

Total weight savings over a std magneto RC engine is about 7.5oz..........almost 1/2 lb.

With the HWC 3D Extreme performance tuning this should be a winner!

Look for a field test in the near future

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by carey shurley; 08-17-2013 at 08:23 PM..
carey shurley is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
turboracer
Registered Users

Any idea what the actual weight savings are?
turboracer is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
KostisA
Registered Users

if i understood it correctly, 5oz from the pull start plus 4 oz from the magneto/flywheel, 9oz...266grams...
KostisA is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
raptor90se
Registered Users

Hi all,
I would like to know where to find the:
HWC2106
HWC EI CONVERSION for ZENOAH G240 G270 G290 RC ENGINE.
I try to bought it at Helicopter world. I send them 4 email but no answer. I try to bought it by paypal but it was impossible. The shipping is for France.
Is some one know where to get one?
Regards
JoŽl
raptor90se is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
MotorRotor
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor90se View Post
Hi all,
I would like to know where to find the:
HWC2106
HWC EI CONVERSION for ZENOAH G240 G270 G290 RC ENGINE.
I try to bought it at Helicopter world. I send them 4 email but no answer. I try to bought it by paypal but it was impossible. The shipping is for France.
Is some one know where to get one?
Regards
JoŽl
I am sure you would be able to get one from The Heli Farm (Dennis P in the Century forum here on HF).

http://thehelifarm.com/
Old 09-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
raptor90se
Registered Users

Default Re: Engines - HWC G290RC-EI 3D Extreme

Thanks, I will try

Cordialement,
Joël
Old 09-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
raptor90se
Registered Users

Default Re: Engines - HWC G290RC-EI 3D Extreme

Hi all,

Is there someone who know how does it work and how to tuned it?
Just receive mine but there was no instructions with.

Cordialement,
Joël

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gas Powered Thoughts

Gas Powered Thoughts Advice for Gas Helicopter Success from Carey Shurley