Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Multi Rotor Helicopters

Multi Rotor Helicopters Multi Rotor Helicopters Info and Support - Tandem, Quadcopters, Tricopters, Octocopters, and Hexacopters

Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM   #1
SeanM
Registered Users

Default Drones in the news... Again.

It's seems like every week there's a drone in the news... Here's a video that was made by an Amazon employee yesterday, flying around the space needle. Apparently the police paid him a visit, but no arrests were made. The part that irritates me is where they claim that the Phantom hit the landmark... With no evidence to prove it.

- Spektrum DX7
SeanM is online now        Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM   #2
Nelsonisms
Registered Users

Yep that's exactly the kind of shenanigans that's going to ruin it for all off us. Flying out of a hotel window in a downtown metropolitan area around a busy landmark for all to see....what a douche. Even more so that he actually posted it on YouTube and called it a "drone" in the title. Sigh.... This dude is definitely not playing with a full deck.

AMA
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM   #3
xpantz
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Silly and not helpful but...

If the phantom had hit the monument then I doubt it would have damaged it. In fact if it had hit it I doubt it would still be flying.

If it had hit, the more serious danger is it falling on somebodys head.

The phantom (and similar) should come with a huge, brightly colored warning label on the box.

DO NOT FLY THIS IN A PUBLIC PLACE etc and probably some other advice.
Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM   #4
Nelsonisms
Registered Users

Yep that's exactly right. That or it falling and causing significant damage to other valuable property. Oops I lost a prop and dented some politician's Mercedes...

It won't take much and the FAA will have all the justification they need to ban FPV for all of us.

AMA
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM   #5
SeanM
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I completely agree with you guys. He better hope that he doesn't get slapped with a $10,000 fine from the FAA for reckless endangerment, just like what happened to Trappy from Team Blacksheep a couple of years ago. Luckily, Trappy's New York stunt happened prior to there being ANY rules against what he was doing, so the judge ruled in his favor. Even today it's still a big grey area, but it's definitely more obvious that it will be frowned upon by the authorities.

The other part that surprises me is that an amazon employee chose to do this.. And just days after Amazon officially requested for the FAA's permission to launch their new Prime Air delivery service... Which was shot down pretty quickly with a statement basically saying that commercial use of drones is not happening anytime soon. Something tells me that the Amazon executives aren't too happy with this particular employee.
- Spektrum DX7
Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM   #6
SeanM
Registered Users

I think DJI should increase the amount of no fly zones that are preprogrammed. From what I remember, they've already implemented the ability to prevent the Phantom from entering the air space surrounding airports, military installation, etc.... How about within the downtown area of major cities, landmarks, etc?
- Spektrum DX7
Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM   #7
setishock
Registered Users

He was in Seattle on Amazon business. But after being confronted by the local police, who found nothing wrong, he agreed to not fly in public any more during his visit. The article stated he pulled down the video on Thursday. The video you posted is a re-upload by some one else. Besides the TV station having it on their website.

I'd also bet real money he either got the ass chewing of a lifetime by Amazon or fired.
They, like us, are not needing serious negative publicity as we continue to struggle with the Juggernaut know as the FAA.
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/P...268518072.html

We have to take a proactive stance about these fliers. If you see some one doing something wrong, talk to them. You catch more flies with honey than you do with salt. That means don't brow beat them but instead take a measured approach.
Tell them how great and wonderful this hobby is. How joining a large organization like the AMA has it's perks. Put them on to where they can fly that doesn't put some one in harm's way. Tell them about your club if you belong to one.
All the while slipping in how what they're doing can hurt the hobby as a whole.

Also since I'm on my soapbox already, has any one contacted their senator or congressman and let them know how much the FAA is ignoring the exemption for model aircraft. How this so called re-interpretation of rules is just a way to slip in more heavy handed rules. How they're on the road to killing a billion dollar a year industry. And how the government could use the taxes off that. Taxes on a billon is a lot of scratch.

If you stand idly by then get ready for this hobby to be extinct soon. Your government has its hands in too much of what you do to start with. Don't let them outlaw our hobby.

Our country was formed on the principals that the government is,
Of the people, By the people, For the people.
This may not seem like a big deal to most. But if you let them outlaw our hobby, what will they do next? Hmmm?
Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM   #8
setishock
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
I think DJI should increase the amount of no fly zones that are preprogrammed. From what I remember, they've already implemented the ability to prevent the Phantom from entering the air space surrounding airports, military installation, etc.... How about within the downtown area of major cities, landmarks, etc?
Way too much control in my book. We need to kick ass and take names of those that choose to get stuck in stupid. Not preprogram no fly zones. That kills any chance to get common sense back in to play.

Besides driving the cost per unit way up.
Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM   #9
SeanM
Registered Users

I see your point... But these RTF quads are getting into people's hands who prove to have no common sense. I wish the world was full of people like you and I, but that's not the case I'm afraid.

One thing is for sure, DJI needs to do something to help educate their customers so bad ideas like this don't happen.
- Spektrum DX7
Old Yesterday, 08:50 PM   #10
setishock
Registered Users

That's our job don't you think?
Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM   #11
SeanM
Registered Users

We definitely play a role, yes... But at the same time, DJI plays an even bigger one being the manufacturer. They have the ability to spend the time and money to make changes to their product so that it accounts for people who have such bad ideas... As much as I wish we could have as big of an effect as DJI could, I just don't see how we could get through to nearly every phantom owner. These quads are going to get so popular in the coming years that they could become their own worst enemy.

Somehow, the best things in life get banned because of some idiot not realizing the consequences prior to their actions. DJI needs to make sure their customers understand that serious consequences could result from flying over crowded areas, landmarks, etc... You could probably word it in a few sentences. Even though I'm sure that wouldn't solve the issue, it would at least be a start. A little effort from DJI to protect their customers doesn't sound like a bad idea to me..
- Spektrum DX7
Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM   #12
setishock
Registered Users

Then in all fairness to DJI all other flying model makers should put the same warning in with parts and kits.
Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM   #13
SeanM
Registered Users

I agree, as long as you're referring to all RTF kits. I'm not talking about the build to order custom RTF kits either, I'm talking about the mass produced ones... How many are there?

The customers that are worth worrying about are the ones that are buying the off the shelf RTF quads that are capable of FPV. The majority of the pilots with built-from-scratch FPV multirotors will have the common sense to avoid such situations.

I'm not trying to bash DJI, I'm more interested in hearing what others think about all of this.
- Spektrum DX7
Old Yesterday, 10:57 PM   #14
Tesla
Registered Users

I think on RTF kits plugging it into the PC and having to go through a safety wizard before it will allow you to fly. I realize this will cost DJI money and even possibly market share as no other manufacturer would do this but still.

At this point I think the damage is done, no matter what warnings that get put on this thing people know the possibilities (for better or worse). If the FAA doesn't have their way with us I imagine the media and idiot pilots have gained enough traction to warrent further action from further up.

I hope I'm wrong.
Tesla is online now        Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:23 AM   #15
Cpl Woody
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
I think on RTF kits plugging it into the PC and having to go through a safety wizard before it will allow you to fly. I realize this will cost DJI money and even possibly market share as no other manufacturer would do this but still.

At this point I think the damage is done, no matter what warnings that get put on this thing people know the possibilities (for better or worse). If the FAA doesn't have their way with us I imagine the media and idiot pilots have gained enough traction to warrent further action from further up.

I hope I'm wrong.
I agree to this. And I still say a licensing program wouldnt be all that bad as long as they keep their common sense about it...
Cpl Woody is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Multi Rotor Helicopters

Multi Rotor Helicopters Multi Rotor Helicopters Info and Support - Tandem, Quadcopters, Tricopters, Octocopters, and Hexacopters