Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Multi Rotor Helicopters

Multi Rotor Helicopters Multi Rotor Helicopters Info and Support - Tandem, Quadcopters, Tricopters, Octocopters, and Hexacopters

Old 09-21-2014, 10:43 PM   #1
lovespicyfood
Registered Users

Default Review: Syma X-12 Nano Quad

Syma X12 Nano Quad, available from Amazon Prime for approximately $29.99 RTF.

First impressions of the Quad itself-
The quad has a unique look. There is a white LED in the front that is incorporated into the body of the quad and juts out prominently. The styling reminds me of the robots in Pacific Rim! The quad rests on little foam style bumpers and sits off the ground significantly.

The white LED in front is very bright. On top of the quad are 4 smaller LEDs, two green towards the front and two red towards the back.

Controller:
My initial impression of the controller was that it was HUGE, too big, especially compared to the size of the X12. However, it feels good in my hands. The sticks are stubby but they have a great tactile feel, a little like tacky rubber. There are two buttons forward of the controller that are reached by the forefinger of each hand. The button on the left side controls “high speed” and “low speed mode. Hit this button once and the tx beeps twice indicating you are in “high speed” mode. The button on the right side is to initiate flips. It is held down while pushing the right stick in which direction you want to flip.

Binding:
Binding is typical of quads. The controller is turned on first and beeps once. You then turn on the quad and the top green and red LEDs blink rapidly. Move the throttle up to full. The tx beeps once and the green and red lights on the quad start blinking left to right. Bring the throttle fully down, the lights stop blinking and you're ready for flight.

Flight performance:
The Syma X12 Nano Quad is very stable and flies very well indoors in “low speed” mode. It exhibits “hands off” stability and has good pitch and roll, but yaw rate is EXTREMELY slow. The white LED up front really aids in orientation, even outside during daylight. The colored LEDs on top are pretty much useless, however, at night, the red LEDs in the back reflect off the white blades and significantly aids in orientation.

In “high speed” mode, the pitch and roll are noticeably more aggressive and you can really fling this thing around! It is FAST! It makes it trickier to fly indoors (unless you have lots of room), but it SHINES when in this mode outside. The increased pitch and roll enable you to fly this quad in very breezy conditions. Unfortunately, the extremely slow yaw rate is unaffected in “high speed” mode.

Flipping Function:
Flips are initiated by pushing and holding the black button on the right side of the transmitter while pushing the right stick in which direction you want to flip. Flips are fairly tight with little altitude lost on a fresh battery. Flip performance degrades substantially as the battery drains so best flips are accomplished within the first couple minutes of a fresh battery.

Throwing Function:
The quad can be thrown w/out power in whatever direction or position (right side or upside down) and will “self right.” This is fun to do and having the super bright white front LED aids significantly in regaining orientation during this maneuver.

Durability:
This quad seems to be quite durable, comparable to other quads I have flown. During testing I did break one prop while crashing on asphalt, but that was the only damage sustained during numerous crashes. Over grass or carpet, I would think you'd rarely break anything in a crash!

Videos:

Credit goes to my daughter Samantha for helping film these videos!

Pros:

This thing flys GREAT outside! In “high speed” mode, you have lots of pitch and roll authority allowing you to fly in breezy conditions!

This thing flies FAST in “expert” mode and unless you have lots of room inside, I recommend “normal” mode for indoors.

The bright white light in front helps with orientation a lot, even during the day.

At night, the reflection of the red LEDs on the white props aids orientation significantly.

Cons:

The green and red LEDs should have been mounted on the side pillars of each motor stanchion. They are useless for orientation during the day unless you are flying the quad below eye level.

Yaw rate is very very slow and does not change when entering “high speed” mode. Did I say it was slow?

On/Off switch of the quad is small and a little hard to activate, you need to use a fingernail.

The charging dongle lights up when charging is complete. It should be the opposite, it should light up when charging and go off when complete.

The charger cord connection at the quad is loose. It comes out very easily if touched slightly when being charged.

Low voltage cutoff is useless. When the quad reaches LVC, the top green and red LEDs blink. Unfortunately, since these LEDs are on top of the quad, it is nearly impossible to notice this warning unless you are flying the quad below eye level. However, the quad loses power significantly before the LVC warning kicks in anyways. I have had the quad lose power and fall to the ground before the LVC warning has kicked in. Other times, when the LVC warning initiates, you have very little time to land the quad.

Conclusion:
Despite a lot of little annoyances such as the top mounted LEDs, useless LVC cutoff, and extremely slow yaw rate, I really enjoy this mini quad and it is one of my new favorites! Flying it outside is so much fun and like no other mini quad out there. It flies FAST and has enough pitch and roll authority to combat breezy conditions. Orientation at night is fantastic and the white light in front even helps during daylight.

In full disclosure, I was given this quad to evaluate for review. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Syma_X12_TX_Box.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	537612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Syma_X12_TX_Lights.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	537613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Syma_X12_TX_Size.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	537614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Syma_X12_Size.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	537615   Click image for larger version

Name:	Syma_X12_TX_Batteries.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	537616  

lovespicyfood is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:24 AM   #2
holytrex
Registered Users

Default mini quad...

They look like a blast to just cruz around the house and not bad for like $40 doll hairs i think im gonna pick one up for my son he is 6 and he will really dig it thanks for the post... really great info...

Fly...Safe...God...Bless...
holytrex is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
lovespicyfood
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by holytrex View Post
They look like a blast to just cruz around the house and not bad for like $40 doll hairs i think im gonna pick one up for my son he is 6 and he will really dig it thanks for the post... really great info...

Fly...Safe...God...Bless...
Thank you for the nice comments! Get one, you won't regret it!

Please help your son as at that age as adult supervision would be necessary, the props are small but hurt a wee bit (speaking from experience).

These nano quads are ideal IMHO for learning rc as they are so durable, inexpensive and FUN! I would have killed for these as a child...

Please post your experience if you get one!

Thanks!
lovespicyfood is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:14 PM   #4
Whynot13
Registered Users

There is a special deal going on with the X12 this month. 2 for the price of 1.
Whynot13 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:07 AM   #5
QuadcopterHQ
Registered Users

Nice write up, thanks for sharing! I did a review of the Syma X12 as well, you can check it out here: http://quadcopterhq.com/syma-x12-nano-review/

I also think that it is a great value and a solid quadcopter to learn to fly on, despite the slow yaw and odd LED placement. And in response to the poster about the 2-for-1, where is that deal going on? Any details?
QuadcopterHQ is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Multi Rotor Helicopters

Multi Rotor Helicopters Multi Rotor Helicopters Info and Support - Tandem, Quadcopters, Tricopters, Octocopters, and Hexacopters