Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 30/50 > Titan X50

Titan X50 Thunder Tiger Titan X50 Helicopters

Old 10-04-2011, 06:00 AM   #1
KouDy
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Raptor X50 build thread

Hi all,
i am new to this section (owning only MT now) but i have made up my mind with something bigger. So also leaving electric (due to getting cost, batteries cost fortune) and moving to nitro. After great experience with MT, i pretty much am going for Raptor X50 kit.
At the end of november i will fly over to Malaysia for some 2 months or so. So i will very likely want to build it there so i can fly something when i am there. That's why i am looking for malaysian stores mostly. US or australian shops will do as well i think. Probably it will be still better than order from anywhere outside EU into EU .

I think i could use hint on setup. What i have outlined so far :
Kit - 4856-K11
Cyclic servo - Savx SC-1258
Throttle servo - Savx SC-1257
Rudder servo - Savx SH-1290MG
Gyro - Futaba GY520
Receiver - Futaba R6208SB
Receiver battery - i'd like to have some LiFe 2s Hyperion

What i miss :
BEC for receiver pack

Any comments and hints i will be glad for. This is going to be my first nitro build. MT went very smooth and i love it how it turned out (first heli build completely).

Last edited by KouDy; 10-07-2011 at 03:12 AM..
KouDy is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
KouDy
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Updated selection of the servos...

Please any comments? This is my first nitro build so i am a bit lost in some parts of how should i do it properly...
Old 10-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
texasclouds
Registered Users

Cyclic and rudder look good to me. I'm looking at building a Titan X50b and am considering these:

cyclic:
Mi Digital High Torque Metal Gear Servo JR/Hitec 11.8kg / 0.07 / 58g
$33.46
rudder:
Turnigy BLS980 Digital Brushless (*760us super narrow pulse)
6V: .03 sec speed, 43oz torque, 58g $68
texasclouds is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
texasclouds
Registered Users

from what I've researched, you do want digital/metal gear on the throttle. i was going to match it to cyclic for simplicity.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:38 AM   #5
KouDy
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I was going to match it as well.
But based on the website GrandRC Trex 600N combo where you can choose what are you going to have in the kit i compared servos. They put slightly faster throttle servo than cyclic. And fastest is rudder ofc. So i went to the servodatabase and did some research.
What i came up with is this search result (there are limitations, i did only entered some of the well known brands, total list would be bigger). What i understand is that one of the most important values for searching on this site is voltage. I am going to run it on 6.0V. This will refine your results a lot.
Then it's for trex recommended rudder DS650 so alternatives to that... And since i was at Savox already... Viola i have a build here...

Now does anyone have measure of the holes in frames where you put servo in? Just wondering if any of these servos fit without problems...
Another thing is that BEC. I would need to get from 6.6V LiFe 2s Hyperion to 6.0V... This Align 2 in 1 is what for exactly? Works as 6.0V BEC and glow starter (meaning you don't have to put that stick to the heli every time you start it)?
Old 10-09-2011, 05:06 AM   #6
KouDy
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am looking at receiver packs and is 3800mah 2S LiFe Hyperion. Is it too heavy/too much for 50 sized heli?
Old 10-12-2011, 04:13 AM   #7
KouDy
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So i tried to do some research on receiver pack and governor. No success tbh.

If i go 2S LiFe option (6.6V), do i need voltage regulator to put it down to 6.0V? What are the risks of leaving it at 6.6V?

Is it necessary to have governor? If yes i would likely change gyro from Futaba GY520 to GY701...

I am finding various things about throttle servo. Some have faster than cyclic. Some have same as cyclic, some have a lot slower than cyclic. I was thinking and my logic was that it should be faster. You change angle of the blades at cetain speed and you probably need your throttle to respond at least by same speed or faster so you won't bog your engine into unnecessary RPM drop...
Old 10-12-2011, 08:11 AM   #8
texasclouds
Registered Users

So i tried to do some research on receiver pack and governor. No success tbh.

If i go 2S LiFe option (6.6V), do i need voltage regulator to put it down to 6.0V? What are the risks of leaving it at 6.6V? - many run straight 2S Life with only a switch. make sure your cyclic servos are rated for '6V' packs. if your tail servo isn't you can get a step down regulator just for the rudder. i was told the align 2 in 1 linear regulator shouldn't be used with life...only 2s lipo. not sure if that is true.

Is it necessary to have governor? If yes i would likely change gyro from Futaba GY520 to GY701... i just picked up a used Align 600 LE...it has a RCE G600 that seems to work nice.

I am finding various things about throttle servo. Some have faster than cyclic. Some have same as cyclic, some have a lot slower than cyclic. I was thinking and my logic was that it should be faster. You change angle of the blades at cetain speed and you probably need your throttle to respond at least by same speed or faster so you won't bog your engine into unnecessary RPM drop... I agree...the faster the better. This is what my used Align 600 has:
> - Throttle Servo= Futaba S9452 Digital High-Speed/Torque Servo
>
> - Tail Servo= ALIGN DS650 DIGITAL SERVO
>
> - Cyclic Servos= 3 Align DS610 Digital Servo

Old 10-12-2011, 11:10 AM   #9
KouDy
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes all servos i have are for 6.0V since i plan that voltage from the beginning. If 6.6V is ok, then it is good news.

Governor i thought it could be better to have it integrated... No idea here. I don't even know if i totally must have it

Good hints on servos. I am going to stick with Savox choices in the first post for now, they are pretty much based on T600N kits anyway...
Old 10-12-2011, 12:33 PM   #10
texasclouds
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by KouDy View Post
Yes all servos i have are for 6.0V since i plan that voltage from the beginning. If 6.6V is ok, then it is good news.

Governor i thought it could be better to have it integrated... No idea here. I don't even know if i totally must have it

Good hints on servos. I am going to stick with Savox choices in the first post for now, they are pretty much based on T600N kits anyway...
The 6V rating is referring to a 5 cell NiMh pack... 5 x 1.2 nominal volts = 6V...charged to 1.5V per cell = 7.5 volts fully charged.

The nominal voltage rating for a 2 cell Life is 6.6V...I think it normally holds at around 7 volts so your servos should be a-ok.

You can use a V-curve for throttle to find a good no-bog/no-overspeed situation. The governer adjusts the throttle servo to stay within the RPM range that your V-curve is attempting to achieve. Some people don't run a governer at all. Your setup and application will determine its value. I'd say setup the heli and if you can't get it to do what you want...consider adding the governer.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:39 PM   #11
KouDy
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So far i only have electric heli and since i am learning i run flat throttle curve.
V curve i don't know... I am figuring out figures 8 so V curve might be overkill...
Old 02-11-2012, 02:36 AM   #12
KouDy
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So my kit arrived. Looking forward to do assembly. Cyclic servos, rudder servo and battery pack are still to come. I will post photo of all what i will assemble when it's all together.

Last edited by KouDy; 02-23-2012 at 09:36 PM..
KouDy is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:42 AM   #13
Bob O
HF Support

My HF Map location

Futaba 14SG
Bob O is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #14
Bikersurgeon
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Awesome! Man you're gonna love the build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KouDy View Post
So my kit arrived. Looking forward to do assembly. Cyclic servos, rudder servo and battery pack are still to come. I will post photo of all what i will assemble when it's all together.

AE .50 apache, TT .90 TOW MD500, 2 x JR ergo 60, TT x50 titan, TT 50, TT 30, 3 x MTe325, Trex450 sport, trex 450 Apache, MT cobra, Airwolf 450, Blade 400, century 50 Bell 47, MT EC135, RADIKAL G20, trex450 MD500
Bikersurgeon is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #15
texasclouds
Registered Users

cool!!
Old 02-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #16
KouDy
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for the heads up all!

Now in his TRex 600 Nitro build videos Finless mentions that all helis he built had garbage quality fuel lines (either for fuel line or clunk line). Does this apply for the X50? I guess i will go to LHS (with kit along) and get like meter of some better stuff and use it.
I didn't find anything of forum here about failing fuel lines on X50 but it might be as well because all this is simply well known and noone uses the stock ones...
Old 02-12-2012, 12:07 AM   #17
Bob O
HF Support

My HF Map location

Not sure what I'm going to do with the Titan regarding the fuel line. Being that the main and header tanks were prebuilt, I have no idea what the condition of the fuel lines are. I'm tempted to disassemble the tanks and replace the fuel line with what I've been using for clunk lines, which is the Hayes neoprene stuff. On my two previous nitro birds I didn't use the stock tubing, but they weren't prebuilt either.
Futaba 14SG
Old 02-12-2012, 12:29 AM   #18
KouDy
Registered Users

My HF Map location

And what do you think about them? Do they look solid enough or would it be safer to put it apart and get own lines?
Old 02-12-2012, 12:39 AM   #19
Bob O
HF Support

My HF Map location

I didn't look at the lines that closely actually.

I'll have to take a closer look at them tomorrow, I'm on the road right now.
Futaba 14SG
Old 02-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #20
johnbs8
Registered Users

My HF Map location

ive been using stock fuel lines and they have been holding up fine. although yearly i do change them out with newer stuff.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 30/50 > Titan X50

Titan X50 Thunder Tiger Titan X50 Helicopters