START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gasser Helicopters

Gasser Helicopters Gasser Specific Discussion

Old 01-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #21
rbort
Registered Users

Default I'm not barking at anything Bill

In fact I would like to have a muffler that's got a header that doesn't get loose enough to leak, and if century would make one like that I'd be delighted, You must have tried the zimmerman muffler in the past, and you know what I mean. There is no song and dance with that one. You don't have to face the motor or face the header, you don't have to tighten while hot, you don't have to glue it down with goop. You just put it on and go fly, and it stays on and your motor side stays clean until you pull it off. I really like that as I hate a mess myself, hence part of the reason why I went to gassers and away from nitros, even with free nitro fuel I'd still want to fly a gasser, because I hate the cleaning you have to do afterwards with nitro birds. And no doubt that the v5 muffler makes very good power, I know the torpedo did and I posted that in my muffler test thread. I would just like it modified just a bit so anyone can bolt it on in any kind of ship and have it seal until taken off.

Its not about me or my flights or helping others, its about asking for a better product, or an update to a product to improve it. If I don't ask, then how will it ever come about? Its feedback that counts.

-=>Raja.
Jewel on-board Generators, Team Bavarian Demon
rbort is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:02 AM   #22
fallafalla
Registered Users

I thought I may aswell post up aswell, Torpedo V2 on my G30 mounted with the zenoah gasket no setscrews no loctite, never had a single leak in over a year, never had to re-torque the bolts, and even on my vairo the muffler is the only engine related part not to give trouble in over 2 years.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:55 AM   #23
disciple4123
Registered Users

Hey, I just went to order a V5, and incidentally I noticed that the Predator line is gone? No biggie, I run a G30, but does that suggest that another 810mm machine is coming to fruition, or a big G30, etc?

By the way, on mufflers: I ran a Zimmerman pipe for years in AP, recently developed longitudinal cracks from the base, that is why I am trying a V5. The V5 sounds like a good piece, but I am concerned with the extra weight, weight can mean more mechanical advantage against the mounting. Having not felt the mass centering of it yet I cannot comment fully, but we shall see, looking forward to it.

Also, how long is the V5 from mounting bolts to front end? I have to clear a camera mount with the thing.
disciple4123 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:30 AM   #24
Zman39
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Lets put this in perspective. Raja is a rep for MInair/Team Heliwholesaler/Zimmerman/Hanson (or was) and who knows else. Raja will spend an entire day on forums searching out anything good that someone said about about either a century product or product that competes with one of his sponsors and then make a negative comment about that product. I guess it is safe to assume raja thinks that is what his sponsors want him to do. I doubt this since above companies dont approve of competitor bashing, at least I hope not.
As a century rep, you wont find me bashing competitors. One, this isnt something century would want or ask me to do. Century asks me to help as many people as I can (whether century flyer or not), fly their products and ask me to give feedback on all their products. Two, I have a whole lot better things to do with my life then spend a whole day on forums looking to bash competitors.
So here we are, there was a good thread going about century's latest offering in gas mufflers and raja couldnt stand it any longer so had to crap on it.
So here is my question to you Raja. You obviously really enjoy flying your gassers which is the reason I would hope all of us are into this hobby. Why cant you just enjoy flying and feel free to promote the products you support and THATS IT? I challenge you to go just one week without the bs, just one week!! Maybe, just maybe, you will find that it is just as enjoyable to just talk about positive things and leaving the bs.
Just a suggestion

Z
Zman39 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:32 AM   #25
Billme
Registered Users

fallafalla, like you I run the same way... I use a lock-washer, and a steel flat washer against the muffler with no locktite...

After a couple tightening sessions while hot, the Zenoah gasket reaches its max compression, and seals like it should..

On the Predator, it was another story unless you were using a smooth 231..With the Radikal and the big drive train, its much much better, even with a smooth big block....

Eric, your guess is correct...Some mind blowing machines headed this way Nitro, electric and a new Radikal Condor .. Your going to say: Century made this?
Billme is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:40 AM   #26
Azalin
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I fly with V5 for 2 months. I just used the stock Zenoah gasket with a little amount of black sealing gel (don't know what it called exactly). Never tighten while its hot. No leak at all.

BTW I used green loctite on the bolts.
Trex 600 Gasser FBL | HeliXHeli conv. | OS GT15HZ | iKon | Homemade onboard generator
Azalin is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #27
disciple4123
Registered Users

"Eric, your guess is correct...Some mind blowing machines headed this way Nitro, electric and a new Radikal Condor .. Your going to say: Century made this? "

Cool Bill, glad to hear. Just interested in gassers, and well, the current 720mm build carries the 7d so well that I'll stay with short blades for now, but I'll watch and see what they can make. They are in a good position to make an affordable, low powered turbine if they wanted to. I'd consider a Wren W44 machine, running heavy, with a lot of fuel on board; little power source, long smooth runtime, just a thought...

Regarding muffler bolts. I always use automotive black RTV as a threadlock; I am no chemist, but I think that all but perhaps some specialized versions of loctite will turn fluid with the heat. I concede, RTV is a weak threadlock, but it is a lock to 700 deg F. That is the key part to it. I also run the RTV on the gaskets, flanges, etc in a very thin layer. And I agree that loose mufflers are often a symptom of untamed vibration.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:35 PM   #28
ocr231
Registered Users

Default torpedos

The one on the table has been on my spectra g with a 29cc engine for over two month with no leaks( i did not buy it new ).The other one is on a helibug 600 with a 29cc engine for two weeks and no leaks( i did buy it new ).I wouldn't say they look like new,a few scratches,dings and dents but they look good, no leaks.I have not done anything special.Use a new gasket,tighten the bolts and go fly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	285390   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	285391  
ocr231 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #29
disciple4123
Registered Users

Hey, on the V5 how long is it from the mounting bolts to the front end?

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #30
Billme
Registered Users

maybe this will help Eric
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	v5.jpg.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	285504  
Billme is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #31
carey shurley
Registered Users

• 128mm from the mount centerline to the center front of the muffler
  • 138mm from the mount centerline to the center rear of the exhaust tip. Its 128mm not including the tip
  • about 65mm from the exhaust flange face to the centerline of the muffler
  • about 97mm from the exhaust flange face to the outer edge of the muffler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
carey shurley is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #32
disciple4123
Registered Users

Thanks Bill and Carey.
2 quick ABS cuts and it will clear the camera.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #33
disciple4123
Registered Users

Well I have run the new G5 Torpedo muffler. It is as quiet as any Zimmerman, and kind of deep in tone. I do not care about tone, and power, just as long as it is quiet enough! Running the 9mm reducer and at 11,200, seems good

So although noise perceptions may be logarithmic, not linear, we can use laymans' terms to say that a can muffler has a "loudness" of 10, a torpedo V2 is a 6 and this thing or a Zimmerman is a 3.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #34
rbort
Registered Users

Default So what should I do?

First picture is of the zimmerman on my Spectra-g. I just used some red rtv on a used gasket and bolted it up after I removed my Hatori that was on there before. Haven't done anything since, just flying it.

Second two pictures are of a Spectra-g with a torpedo running on a toxic 231. I used some red rtv on a new gasket and bolted it up. Retighten the screws while hot but its leaking after several flights. The screws don't come loose enough for the muffler to fall off per say, but they are loose enough for it to spring it leak it seems. Just came home from flying today and looks like it blew out.

So how should I fix it? Face it, goop it, retighten it? Gasket, no gasket, would like to get a seal that stays, I have another new gasket here if need be and will try it again, just let me know and thanks.

-=>Raja.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_7522.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	286119   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7521.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	286121   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7518.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	286122  
Old 02-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #35
Azalin
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

High temp black RTV.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_9201.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	563.5 KB
ID:	286126  
Trex 600 Gasser FBL | HeliXHeli conv. | OS GT15HZ | iKon | Homemade onboard generator
Azalin is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #36
Doug Darby
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Raja,

I don't have a V5 but I fought sealing my V4 until I started using these gaskets from Dave's Discount Motors : Super Heavy Duty Steel Reinforced graphite Exhaust Gasket: FD227 -$4.50.
I installed the pipe with just the gasket, simply loctiteing the bolts with Red loctite. Kept my V4 sealed and I have 84 flights on my Century Torpedo on my 700G and it is completely dry, shiny and clean using just the same gasket.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #37
rbort
Registered Users

Default Awesome Doug!

Now that's some great information!!

I need to try something different because obviously the procedure that works for me on the zimmerman does not work on the aluminum pipes.

-=>Raja.

EDIT: Just looked it up, shows a price of $2.25, you got the right part number right? Just want to be sure. Also what else did you buy from Daves before, I remember you mentioning something but I forgot what. If I'm going to order I might was well pickup a couple of things there.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #38
coopercobra03
Registered Users

After fixing my motor last week my V5 kept getting loose! I would have to auto in every 5 minutes to check the tightness!

So this week I took the pipe off and put some black RTV with a new copper gasket that they sell at Daves Discount Motors! ( It's solid copper) and then I tighten the bolts a little to tight and I stripped the threads on the head..

Well since it's a Hanson motor so I wanted to fixed the threads instead of buying a new head! I installed new thread inserts in both holes so it should be stronger than before!

I'm going out in a few hours to try the new copper gasket with the RTV! I hope it holds........
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fd225gasket.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	286279  
coopercobra03 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #39
rbort
Registered Users

Default I totally understand cooper

I did try a copper gasket in the past as well not much luck with that, even tried it sandwiched between two stock gaskets but give it a try and good luck.

Seems to me the gasket Doug uses is a winner, I have not tried that myself yet.

Yes helicoil stuff works really well, I also once stripped threads on one of my G26 motors when I used to own the v3 muffler from retightening it too much. The helicoils will never strip and are much stronger.

-=>Raja.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #40
Dimitris76
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Darby View Post
I installed the pipe with just the gasket, simply loctiteing the bolts with Red loctite.
Loctite on muffler bolts right by the exhaust port!!!???

I thought heat is supposed to be used when you want to get rid of threadlock compound...

Dimitris
Dimitris76 is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gasser Helicopters

Gasser Helicopters Gasser Specific Discussion