Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

Old 11-22-2013, 10:45 PM   #1001
crickr1
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post
Good news is I got a solid 1 1/2 pack of solid inverted hovering in.

Bad news is last 1/2 pack resulted in a dumb thumb...

First major crash in over 80 flights so I can't complain. Plastic frame did not crack-- head and tail wiped out. But, I plan to use the electronics in my A109 build so this crash is an easy write-off...

Chief
Probably could have saved it if you didn't have that "A%^&N" strap on it! Don't you know that's Blasphemy! It wasn't a dumb thumb, it was SUICIDE!

hybrid Gaz/otos fblstretched 6s Mini PRÔTOS. Stretched PRÔTOS.500,EC135 Era/PRÔTOS.500
,GOBLIN 630 Comp, ,PRÔTOS MAX!
Synergy E5 /E5S all MSH-Brain/Futaba8FG
crickr1 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:02 AM   #1002
Dr. M
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Lost my last pair of original 430mm SAB black/white blades. Of course, I can't find them in stock anywhere...

So, I had just finished some delicate surgery on one of my newish 6s packs, during which I replaced one of the cells (which was getting weaker than the others) with a good cell from my stash. The pack charged and balanced perfectly, so I took it for a test hover in the driveway on the Protos. 4 minutes of hovering, then disaster struck - the FBL controller got zapped by static and went into a spazz, banked hard right and jumped up straight into the pine tree. Before I could yell out Sh*t! while hitting TH, it was all over. Both blades destroyed, one grip broken and the FS bent.

Anyhoos, if you've got a lead on the SAB 430 blades that used to come with the kit, please let me know.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Dr. M is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #1003
rimaarts
Registered Users

ordered mks ds760 rudder servo second hand from fast-lad... gear train seems very notchy! i dont think its supposed to be like that...but servo itself seems monster fast... planning to go out to test it! hopefully last tiny bit of wag will be gone!

edit... i think this will be my last protos rebuild... :/ out of 92 flights it has been down 7 times, and none of it was my dumb thumbs... :/ 20sec after liftoff with some tail testing and some pitch pumps, protos suddenly went full speed nose in... (rx was blinking like lost signal...:/) i had around 15 flights before it with no problems... today only thing different was metal tail servo holders and swapped out savox 1290 to mks ds 760...
rimaarts is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:20 AM   #1004
Thunder Fighter
Registered Users

Well about to pack up my Carbon Stretch 500 as it is sold and my plastic stretch night Protos 500 is listed for sale, I am not giving MSH away completely as I will keep the mini Protos.

I've had a Protos since the first release of the 500 and slowly moved from 7sA123 main packs to Lipos, FB to FBL and then Stretch and finally the carbon frame. Never broke a plastic frame but wore out the motor mount holes so replaced it and the stretch booms in the helis are still the origional ones I put in to them so very few crashes. These heli's have been with me from basic circuits through learning aerobatics, autos, inverted and backwards flight and soft 3d and never let me down but when I got my first Goblin 500 the writting was on the wall and when I got my second Goblin 500 I knew the Protos eventually had to go.

Just have to say bye and hope everyone enjoys their Protos as much as I have over the years.

//Dennis.

Team RCBits | SAB & KBDD Field Rep | www.rcbits.com.au
Thunder Fighter is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:49 PM   #1005
babyuh1
Registered Users

I know that it's much bigger but what would you say makes the Goblin better?
Old 11-30-2013, 12:05 AM   #1006
rimaarts
Registered Users

to me - looks... and since i just got myself christmas present of synergy e7se, that leaves 500 size to be filled up...

but on the other hand... when i remember that wiping out head and tail and mainblades, still turns out less than 150£, that makes me think about NOT getting rid of protos...
rimaarts is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:09 AM   #1007
Thunder Fighter
Registered Users

There is nothing at all wrong with the Protos, I have really enjoyed flying mine.

The Goblin is bigger but also very easy to work on being so modular, from a design perspective it still has belt drive (which I like) but with the bigger belt on the front to carry the motor load feels like a better solution than the single belt. The Goblin has a lot more presence in the air than the Protos with the painted and profiled boom, one of the only real criticism of the Protos is the canopy is very small for its size, especially after you stretch which make orientation much harder at any distance.

The Protos has an advantage in disc loading being so light but I run 515mm blades on the Goblin which gives a not too heavy but not too light feel to it. The Goblin just feels more accurate and precise in flight. I have run both with the Brain/Ikon but the Goblin just feels more natural to me. The size does have something to do with this of course and being about as big as you want to be with a single 6s pack makes it an ideal size.

To me the Goblin just looks very good and just right in proportion, even better than the other Goblin's but this is purely personal, I know other people who hate the look of all of the Goblin's.

So most of this is personal feeling, maybe I just needed a change as I have had a Protos in my fleet for many years now.

//Dennis.

Team RCBits | SAB & KBDD Field Rep | www.rcbits.com.au
Thunder Fighter is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #1008
Mikej
Registered Users

Crashed it

Poor visibility day, lost orientation in a side flip and powered it in upside-down, had half the bits needed so about $60 to repair. Oh well worse things happen at sea....
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #1009
bobpratt
Registered Users

Default help

Got on this site to ask a repair ? But can't find where I can post . Only how to reply! Can you please tell me!
bobpratt is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #1010
isogloss3d
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Maiden Flight

Today I finished a very thorough preflight check on a used Protos I picked up in the used section. I finished soldering battery connectors to a couple new Pulse 2600 mAh 45C packs. Finally, I put in my first three flights and had zero issues (need to up the tail rotational rate a tad a tweak the tail gain a bit more).

This is my first Protos and first time flying on the MSH Brain and I'm absolutely amazed! Piro compensation puts my BeastX to shame. Also the sound (or lack thereof) this model makes is kick-a$$!

But enough already, after all I'm preaching to the choir here.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this MSH forum as I learned practically everything I needed to know about the Protos from reading old posts.

GAUI X3 6S, 460MX, Castle ICE 50, MKS DS95, 8910A+, BeastX, Belted Tail.
isogloss3d is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #1011
pert
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Thumbs up

at the top left corner, were it says start a new tread
pert is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #1012
mountainman13
Registered Users

Ordered most of the stuff I need to turn my spare parts pile into a flyable bird.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:10 AM   #1013
jimsdpugs
Registered Users

Default What did you do with your PRÔTOS today?

Installed TM1000 telemetry unit with hobbywing rpm sensor. Rpm at 100% throttle is 3637. Does everybody getting the same headspeed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2013, 03:10 AM   #1014
flint723
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsdpugs View Post
Installed TM1000 telemetry unit with hobbywing rpm sensor. Rpm at 100% throttle is 3637. Does everybody getting the same headspeed?

Not possible with stock motor and stock 15t pinion. I don't know how you set pole count/gearing with the tm1000 but I think you might want to check them.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:38 AM   #1015
jimsdpugs
Registered Users

Pole count is 10 and gear ratio is 6.2:1.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #1016
flint723
Registered Users

Quote:
Pole count is 10 and gear ratio is 6.2:1.

Do you have the scorpion or lipotech motor?
Old 12-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #1017
jimsdpugs
Registered Users

Scorpion 880kv. 3300mAH battery. Gov store at 80% shows 2888 rpm and at 85% shows 3078. These reading was taken on the bench without main and tail blades. The headspeed is consistent after trying multiple times.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #1018
flint723
Registered Users

Quote:
Scorpion 880kv.

Well idk what's going on but something isn't right. Its not possible to get over 3200 in a hover at the beginning of the flight with 100% flat on stock setup.

880kv x 25 volts = 22000 motor rpm
22000 / 6.2 gear ratio = 3548rpm theoretical no load head speed
3548 x 90 % effiency = 3193 realistic head speed at 100% in a hover.

So I guess it might be possible that you got 3600 if you were running it 100% with no blades on since the motor could be slightly higher kv than 880.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #1019
Dr. M
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
ordered mks ds760 rudder servo second hand from fast-lad... gear train seems very notchy! i dont think its supposed to be like that...but servo itself seems monster fast... planning to go out to test it! hopefully last tiny bit of wag will be gone!

edit... i think this will be my last protos rebuild... :/ out of 92 flights it has been down 7 times, and none of it was my dumb thumbs... :/ 20sec after liftoff with some tail testing and some pitch pumps, protos suddenly went full speed nose in... (rx was blinking like lost signal...:/) i had around 15 flights before it with no problems... today only thing different was metal tail servo holders and swapped out savox 1290 to mks ds 760...
Are you running at least two antennas? Such as Rx + sat, or 2 sats?

Dennis - we'll miss you.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Dr. M is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #1020
dr dremel
Registered Users

First flights with the Protos after 3 months or so, obviously I gained some skills in the mean time - never flew this hard. Even came to like the the flybar feeling, strangely predictable. Was on the fence of selling it as I flew it not very often this summer (time and space problem), but this bird is going nowhere!

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum