Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Electric Helicopters

600 Class Electric Helicopters 600 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
Zoot
Registered Users

Question Sudden Rudder Movement

Interesting but odd behavior.

When I'm flying, and input rudder, most of the time it is smooth, but now more frequently, the tail will suddenly move (jerk) to one side (left). It really catches me off guard.

The HH Gyro is set at 30 (true gain). Anything higher than that and I get tail wiggle.
This also occurs regardless of how much expo I add.

Any ideas?
Zoot is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
nightflyr
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
Interesting but odd behavior.

When I'm flying, and input rudder, most of the time it is smooth, but now more frequently, the tail will suddenly move (jerk) to one side (left). It really catches me off guard.

The HH Gyro is set at 30 (true gain). Anything higher than that and I get tail wiggle.
This also occurs regardless of how much expo I add.

Any ideas?
Failing bearing.. possible binding....servo failure.....vibration..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

nightflyr is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
justindewoody
Registered Users

Definitely sounds like binding in the tail. This has happened to me NUMEROUS times on my 450s, 500s, 600s, etc. check the tail grips and make sure they are not hard to turn on the tail rotor hub. This is usually the culprit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
justindewoody is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
Zoot
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I noticed, the "tail rotor shaft assembly" gears looked fine, but when I turned them there was resistance. So I replaced those gears, plus the "front umbrella gear" and "front drive gear assembly", just to make sure. It now spins very smoothly!

I'm not sure what you mean by "tail grips". I have a habit of referencing the part names in the 600 manual. Can't keep track of all those names. : )

I'll test it out when my new set of blades, and landing gear arrive.

Thx much,

Zoot
Old 05-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
justindewoody
Registered Users

The tail grips are the things that the tail blades are bolted to. There are 2 of them and they are attached to a center hub. They have bearings in them at their base where they attach to the hub. I quite often have those bearings lock up, which means the tail grips do not easily spin left and right on the hub. They BIND. This will cause all kinds of terrible stuff, namely MAJOR tail wag.

justindewoody is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
pril250
Registered Users

Some times even if the tail components feel smooth on the bench once the centrifugal forces come into play some items can lock up.
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #7
Zoot
Registered Users

Ok thx, I'll make sure to check!
Old 05-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #8
Zoot
Registered Users

Interesting. : )

Tags
movement, rudder, sudden, twitch

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Electric Helicopters

600 Class Electric Helicopters 600 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.