Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE


Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flybarless Helicopter Systems


Flybarless Helicopter Systems CSM Cyclock, Helitronix Multi-mixer, Spartan AP2000i, Firmtronix Digimix-3, Gyrobot, SK360and AC3X


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
nightflyr
Registered Users
 
Posts: 14,885
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Default HobbyMate FBL unit

This is a short review of a prototype unit that was offered for flight testing..

It comes from HobbyMate, Hobbymate flybarless 3 axis gyro




Setup is virtually the same as a BeastX V1 unit.
Documentation is minimal at best, being a prototype... a half sheet of instructions that will get the job done.

As to how it operates..
In comparison to the BeastX V1 it is just about the same, in flight performance.
No surprises during spool up or take off.
I did notice a it of nodding when ELV was applied hard which can be adjusted out via the trim pots.
Tail holds very well and as responsive as the BeastX.

As to cost of the unit, that information has not been forwarded to me.

But it is a viable unit to consider depending on the final release cost.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0959[1].jpg
Views:	7777
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	319307  
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

nightflyr is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Spork01
Registered Users
 
Posts: 4,908
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Default

did you get a chance to test fly yet?
__________________
Gaui X3 mini vbar
Fusion 50 beastx
Trex 450 pro v2 spartan vx1e
Blade 600x ikon
Spork01 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
nightflyr
Registered Users
 
Posts: 14,885
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Default

Virtually the same as the BeastX V1 in flight performance, no real differences between the 2 units
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

nightflyr is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
beenflying
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,255
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NZ
Default

I'm really happy with mine so far. I'm using it on an Align 550E. Good riddance to the Align 3G unit.

What heli did you fit it too? What style of flying do you do?
__________________
Gaui X2 FES ZYX, Gaui X3 MB, Gaui X4 VBar, Gaui X5 FES MB
250 DFC ZYX, 450 DFC Sport VBar, ALZRC 450L Pro VBar, Devil 450 FAST VCTRC FBL
500E DFC Pro VBar, 500E SDC ZYX-S
KDS 550 VBar, 550E DHPS VBar, 550E DFC Pro VBar, 700E DFC HV iKon
beenflying is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
nightflyr
Registered Users
 
Posts: 14,885
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
I'm really happy with mine so far. I'm using it on an Align 550E. Good riddance to the Align 3G unit.

What heli did you fit it too? What style of flying do you do?
It's mounted on a CHAOS 600.. doing sport and mild 3D
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

nightflyr is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #6
FrenzyTheory
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Default

is the 1, 2, 3 adjustments for quick swash leveling or something else?
FrenzyTheory is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #7
memosteve
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,078
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tillamook, Or
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenzyTheory View Post
is the 1, 2, 3 adjustments for quick swash leveling or something else?
Swash leveling is done during the programming phase of the setup, exactly like the BeastX.

The pots (1, 2, 3) are for adjusting various gains such as cyclic, etc..

I just installed one of these units on a 500ESP with an RJX head...only got to fly one pack this evening in the front yard. So far, so good! Had some slight vertical bobble in backwards flight, which will probably go away once I adjust the cyclic gain pot (pot 1).

Tail holds just fine, but stops seem a little soft. The tail doesn't overshoot, it's just not stopping as crisp as I like. I'm sure I'll be able to get the response I like once I start adjusting things.

Setup was a breeze, just like a BeastX, despite the included instructions being lacking...only issue I had with the unit I'm testing is that the indicator lights for parameters G/H don't light up when programming those parameters...they work when not in programming mode, however.

I was expecting to give the unit a proper smack-down 3D shakedown today, but the weather thought otherwise. Looks like I'll get some decent weather tomorrow so I'll hopefully get a few harder flights in tomorrow to really see how this unit performs.

I'll give a more in-depth review tomorrow and hopefully some video as well.
__________________
HeliDirect.com Team Pilot/Rep
Align T-Rex 700LE FBL, OS 91HZ-R, Hatori SB-20, Beast X
Align T-Rex 600LE FBL, OS 55HZ, Beast X
Outrage Velocity 50N2 FBL, OS 55HZ, Beast X
memosteve is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
beenflying
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,255
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenzyTheory View Post
is the 1, 2, 3 adjustments for quick swash leveling or something else?
My take on what the pots do:
Pot 1: Cyclic gain
Pot 2: Bell adjustment. How much control goes directly to the blades (bypassing the flybar/hiller).
Pot 3: Tail stop gain or the D gain of the tail PID control.
__________________
Gaui X2 FES ZYX, Gaui X3 MB, Gaui X4 VBar, Gaui X5 FES MB
250 DFC ZYX, 450 DFC Sport VBar, ALZRC 450L Pro VBar, Devil 450 FAST VCTRC FBL
500E DFC Pro VBar, 500E SDC ZYX-S
KDS 550 VBar, 550E DHPS VBar, 550E DFC Pro VBar, 700E DFC HV iKon
beenflying is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
memosteve
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,078
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tillamook, Or
Default

Got a few actual flights in today...

There was a fair amount of wind at the field today that was gusting. Probably 10-15+.

With the pots in the middle position, there was an up/down bobbing of the tail/nose, especially during backwards flight. This really got bad when I did tic-tocs and flips.

I landed, dialed pot 1 (cyclic) down just a bit and went up again. This time, the machine was dialed in perfectly! I proceeded to big-air 3D the thing and was blown away...handled everything I threw at it perfectly!

The 500 flew/handled like a big heli and flew like it was on rails, even in the wind!

I did piro-flips, hurricanes, funnels, elevator/aileron tic-tocs, stationary flips, FFF, FBF, giant loops, slow controlled F3C type flying, reversals, everything...it did it all w/out any issues at all! The unit performed just as well as any of my BeastX units. I was completely blown away and wasn't expecting this level of performance from what is basically a BeastX clone! It was flawless!

There was absolutely no drift of the tail or cyclic, even in the wind...everything stayed put and would basically hover hands off. Piros were even in both directions and the disk didn't wander at all. In FFF, I could piro w/out any slingshotting issues and the heli didn't deviate from it's path, loose/gain altitude nor loose speed.

The feel was very smooth and connected.

I'm very impressed w/the unit and glad I got to test it out!

Here's the setup I tested the unit on:

Heli - T-Rex 500ESP with the RJX head.

Cyclic servos - Hi-Tec HS225MG

Tail Servo - Savox SH-1290MG

Blades - Align 3G

Battery - Pulse 2500Mah, 45C

Running "Pro" mode on the FBL unit w/12 degrees pitch.

Flight videos will follow this coming weekend...didn't get any today due to overcast sky and no decent video cam being available.

Attached is some pics of the rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	019.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	321841   Click image for larger version

Name:	022.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	321842   Click image for larger version

Name:	026.jpg
Views:	861
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	321843  
__________________
HeliDirect.com Team Pilot/Rep
Align T-Rex 700LE FBL, OS 91HZ-R, Hatori SB-20, Beast X
Align T-Rex 600LE FBL, OS 55HZ, Beast X
Outrage Velocity 50N2 FBL, OS 55HZ, Beast X
memosteve is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #10
pani
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Greece
Default

Where can someone buy one of these units?
pani is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #11
petedee
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,975
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Default

You can't yet I suspect, this is a prototype.
__________________
TBS Discovery, TBS Discovery Pro, Spanky250, Q400-X
DX18,14SGH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something."
-- Mitch Hedberg
petedee is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
beenflying
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,255
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pani View Post
Where can someone buy one of these units?
There's another thread on RCGroups about this gyro and some more information is also revealed about when it will be released:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1639336
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=136

FYI, the model number for the Hobbymate FBL gyro has also been released. It's going to be the HB800.
__________________
Gaui X2 FES ZYX, Gaui X3 MB, Gaui X4 VBar, Gaui X5 FES MB
250 DFC ZYX, 450 DFC Sport VBar, ALZRC 450L Pro VBar, Devil 450 FAST VCTRC FBL
500E DFC Pro VBar, 500E SDC ZYX-S
KDS 550 VBar, 550E DHPS VBar, 550E DFC Pro VBar, 700E DFC HV iKon
beenflying is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:54 AM   #13
pani
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Greece
Default

Thanks guys.
pani is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #14
Spork01
Registered Users
 
Posts: 4,908
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by memosteve View Post
Got a few actual flights in today...

There was a fair amount of wind at the field today that was gusting. Probably 10-15+.

With the pots in the middle position, there was an up/down bobbing of the tail/nose, especially during backwards flight. This really got bad when I did tic-tocs and flips.

I landed, dialed pot 1 (cyclic) down just a bit and went up again. This time, the machine was dialed in perfectly! I proceeded to big-air 3D the thing and was blown away...handled everything I threw at it perfectly!

The 500 flew/handled like a big heli and flew like it was on rails, even in the wind!

I did piro-flips, hurricanes, funnels, elevator/aileron tic-tocs, stationary flips, FFF, FBF, giant loops, slow controlled F3C type flying, reversals, everything...it did it all w/out any issues at all! The unit performed just as well as any of my BeastX units. I was completely blown away and wasn't expecting this level of performance from what is basically a BeastX clone! It was flawless!

There was absolutely no drift of the tail or cyclic, even in the wind...everything stayed put and would basically hover hands off. Piros were even in both directions and the disk didn't wander at all. In FFF, I could piro w/out any slingshotting issues and the heli didn't deviate from it's path, loose/gain altitude nor loose speed.

The feel was very smooth and connected.

I'm very impressed w/the unit and glad I got to test it out!

Here's the setup I tested the unit on:

Heli - T-Rex 500ESP with the RJX head.

Cyclic servos - Hi-Tec HS225MG

Tail Servo - Savox SH-1290MG

Blades - Align 3G

Battery - Pulse 2500Mah, 45C

Running "Pro" mode on the FBL unit w/12 degrees pitch.

Flight videos will follow this coming weekend...didn't get any today due to overcast sky and no decent video cam being available.

Attached is some pics of the rig.
Steve, Glad to hear it performed to your satisfaction Nice 500!

We are finalizing this unit right now and it will available in a few weeks.

Retail is expected to be $50-$60. It will be available at hobbycool.com
__________________
Gaui X3 mini vbar
Fusion 50 beastx
Trex 450 pro v2 spartan vx1e
Blade 600x ikon
Spork01 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:35 AM   #15
pani
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Greece
Default

50-60$??? I want one.
pani is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #16
FrenzyTheory
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Default

nice thats where i buy my 450 heli kits, some parts anyway

its about time cheap FBL gyro's are becoming available in the USA
rather then HK or china.

my 450 is grounded cause i have to wait for a replacement Gyro from
china booo, but oh well at least i got my 500 to fly O_O
FrenzyTheory is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #17
Spork01
Registered Users
 
Posts: 4,908
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Default

we also have new FBL heads to go with the new FBL gyro units. DFC heads are also on the way.
__________________
Gaui X3 mini vbar
Fusion 50 beastx
Trex 450 pro v2 spartan vx1e
Blade 600x ikon
Spork01 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #18
beenflying
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,255
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork01 View Post
we also have new FBL heads to go with the new FBL gyro units. DFC heads are also on the way.
I just fitted one of the VWinRC 500 FBL heads to my 500ESP. The quality is just excellent and the price is unbelievable:
http://www.hobbycool.com/500-fbl-rc-...ter-p-462.html

Also a 550/600 head for $45.50:
http://www.hobbycool.com/550600-fbl-...ter-p-461.html

BTW, Spork01. The shaft size on the 500 head is incorrectly stated as 10mm. It should be 8mm.
__________________
Gaui X2 FES ZYX, Gaui X3 MB, Gaui X4 VBar, Gaui X5 FES MB
250 DFC ZYX, 450 DFC Sport VBar, ALZRC 450L Pro VBar, Devil 450 FAST VCTRC FBL
500E DFC Pro VBar, 500E SDC ZYX-S
KDS 550 VBar, 550E DHPS VBar, 550E DFC Pro VBar, 700E DFC HV iKon
beenflying is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #19
FrenzyTheory
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork01 View Post
we also have new FBL heads to go with the new FBL gyro units. DFC heads are also on the way.
awsome cause i was looking at those they look nice, to bad they
havn't made them for the 500.

i got a tarot FBL head that was suppose to come with turnbuckles but
did not "not hobbycools fault bought elsewhere" but the quality
appears to be good from tarot.
FrenzyTheory is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #20
FrenzyTheory
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
I just fitted one of the VWinRC 500 FBL heads to my 500ESP. The quality is just excellent and the price is unbelievable.
yea i got one as well they are nice
FrenzyTheory is offline        Reply With Quote
Reply




Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flybarless Helicopter Systems


Flybarless Helicopter Systems CSM Cyclock, Helitronix Multi-mixer, Spartan AP2000i, Firmtronix Digimix-3, Gyrobot, SK360and AC3X

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Copyright © 2004-2011 - William James - Helifreak.com