Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Airplane Related

Airplane Related R/C Airplanes Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default I want an EDF Jet!

Ok I have been flying helis for about 6 years now. Not really into 3D but a competent pilot. Have built and flown all the way up to 90 size, electric and nitro. Currently building a Rotormast V22 Osprey Tiltrotor.

I bougth a Parkzone T-28 to start learing how to fly planes. As expected it is very easy. Still need to get better at picture perfect landings but so far no unplanned landings

So I am looking around and I see the Eflite F-4 Phantom EDF jet. That plane has always been a favorite of mine. I figure I could build it no problem. But some quick browsing suggest that folks think it is a handful to fly.

Is this too much of a stretch? If so any suggestions to bridge the gap?

Jeremy
spike5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think you would be better served by starting with something less expensive and more durable, maybe the Habu 2. With something like the F4, you will need to be able to consistently have very good landings. A foam EDF will be a lot more forgiving if you bounce the landing sometimes.
Ace4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks Ace. I checked out the Habu 2 and it seems like a good bridge to the F-4.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

And in true Helifreak fashion I bought them both!!
Old 11-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well played sir!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

awesome ! i was gonna mention the Phase 3 EF-16 from Hobby People

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...r-and-esc.html

super awesome EDF..
Old 11-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

i had a phse 3 f-16, really fun jet.
P.I.Engineer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That F-16 does look nice!

I am still "building" my Habu 2. Got the Flaps and retracts installed.

One "beginner" question - When it says to have 19MM throw, where do you measure from/to?

I assume the trailing edge of the control surface to the "neutral" position of control surface. (i.e. top to top, or middle to middle, or bottom to bottom).

As I am a heli guy, I am setting all my dual rates to the FM switch. There are just too many D/R switches to remember!
Old 11-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike5150 View Post
That F-16 does look nice!

I am still "building" my Habu 2. Got the Flaps and retracts installed.

One "beginner" question - When it says to have 19MM throw, where do you measure from/to?

I assume the trailing edge of the control surface to the "neutral" position of control surface. (i.e. top to top, or middle to middle, or bottom to bottom).

As I am a heli guy, I am setting all my dual rates to the FM switch. There are just too many D/R switches to remember!
Yep, that is correct. Neutral would have the control surface perfectly inline with the wing panel or horizontal stabilator. You measure the displacement from neutral to full deflection, bottom to bottom or top to top.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's great that you decided to go with the Habu foam EDF first, it's definitely a much better choice than jumping to the F-4 right away.

I also flew helis first before learning to fly planes and now I have a few foam EDFs. Landing EDFs is what was the most challenging for me. For the F-4 you really need to nail down the nose-high, power-on landings due to it's weight instead of gliding it in. The Habu will be a good platform to practice this. Light foam jets are easily land-able by chopping off the throttle and gliding it in but the F-4 will need a proper jet landing approach and flare.

Funny but I am also building an Eflite F-4 right now which will be my first real "non-foam" jet. Take your time, check out the thread on rcgroups about the F-4 and ask questions either here or there.

Looking forward to your reports on your EDF flights, good luck!
Old 11-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Thanks

Thanks Castel - it made sense to me but just wanted to be sure. I had a steeper learning curve with heli setup but now am well versed. Good confirmtaion on the progression. I certainly have no issues with the flying/landing the HABU 2 on Phoenix Sim, so that gets me half way to real life!

Jeremy
Old 11-29-2012, 01:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ok, definitely glad I went for the foam Habu 2 first! Flying is no issue and very fun. The speed is no more diffucult to handle than my 700.

Landing, well that is another story entirely! first flight I landed, uhh, intact. second flight with flaps down I tried to abort and come around. was going too slow and it just fell straight down from about 15 ft into tall dead grass. Cracked a wing but was able to glue it back together. I removed the retracts for fear of destroying them.

Inspected and got it out again but now it wants to roll hard right. I have to keep 1/4 left aileron to fly level. Servos seem fine (not stripped, check throws and centering). Also there is no imbalance in CG left to right. Wings seem to be symmetrical still, horizontal stab seems fine. Vertical stab is a little off angle but didn'd "seem" bad. Not really sure what would cause such a dramatic right roll. But, with an airplane I am back at the bottom of the learning curve.

I am currently replacing everything but the fuselage to start with a "straight" airplane. Have also been practicing landings in Phoenix Sim much more diligently.

Hopefully will get her in the air this weekend. Still have not started on the F-4 but have all the parts finally. Will build that over the winter.

All in all I think I am going to really like Jets...
Old 01-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Habu 2 - Getting Better...

I ended up replacing the wings, horizontal and vertical stabs. also got some better servos (hitec 65 MG and BB).

Had it out last weekend and had 4 successful flights AND LANDINGS. diligent practice on the phoenix sim with the Habu2 and hawk trainer (turbine) really paid off. I am really liking EDF Jets. Should be able to get out this weekend as well.

I added another step in front of the F-4 Phantom - I also got the Habu 32 and will try that before the Phantom maiden.

I really can now recommend the Habu 2 as a great 1st EDF a others did for me. It is not that fast and very forgiving. You don't want retracts right out of the gate until you get the landings down, and I am not using flaps yet either. it will fly slow enough without flaps.

Jeremy
Old 04-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Landings...

Well still don't quite have the landings perfected on the Habu 2. Habu 32 is ready to go once I am comfortable. It is a big step up from the foamie, though.

I'm afraid I've gone and done something rather rash...

Ordered a Composite ARF Ultra Flash. Will have a 31lb thrust turbine and has a 71" wingspan. WIll be working on turbine waiver over the summer.

http://www.carf-models.com/public_ca...le=Ultra Flash

I really think jets are a logical leap for heli pilots. The props are ok but get boring fast to me while flying. Building on the other hand, you can build some really neat scale models if you are into that.

Jeremy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ultra Flash Top.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	408545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ultra Flash Side.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	586.6 KB
ID:	408546  
Old 04-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Holy! That's huge!! You got bit too by the EDF bug. I was only flying my 600 heli non-stop until I started flying jets. They are definitely fun... Now I fly jets a lot more than I do my heli. Good with the Ultra Flash, it looks awesome! Do you have a handle in rcgroups.com as well?
Old 04-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Same handle on RCGROUPS and RCUNIVERSE. What jets are you flying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castel View Post
Holy! That's huge!! You got bit too by the EDF bug. I was only flying my 600 heli non-stop until I started flying jets. They are definitely fun... Now I fly jets a lot more than I do my heli. Good with the Ultra Flash, it looks awesome! Do you have a handle in rcgroups.com as well?
Old 04-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have two 64mm F-18s, a Hobbyking 70mm Zephyr V-70 EDF/Glider, a twin 64mm Starmax F-14 and the Eflite F-4. It's addicting! I am still learning to land the F-4 consistently, it's awesome when I'm able to. I modified it and added a drag chute. Here's a video of it:

E-Flite F-4, Stumax + Drag chute (4 min 5 sec)

I have the handle Castel101 in rcgroups. Right now I'm working on a 70mm LX F-16, I'm planning on doing a detailed cockpit and do FPV from inside... we'll see how that goes .

Any videos of your flights?
Old 04-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Castel,

I have seen that video on RCGROUPS. That is very cool. Yep definitely bitten by the JET BUG! Good luck with your latest project - sounds great.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Very neat. impressive!
Tarot 450 HC3SX, Trex 500 DFC Pro HC3SX, DX7S
varmit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
edf, jet, osprey, phantom, v22

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in