Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE


Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics


Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #1
mkovalcson
Registered Users
 
Posts: 12,749
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Knoxville, TN
Default Just ordered the SK-GPS from Skookum!

I'm looking forward to January!

Thanks for all the hard work guys!
__________________
Mark

Enjoying all my helis
Current focus: Fly, Sim, and Design/Build my perfect charging box.....
mkovalcson is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
Xrayted
Registered Users
 
Posts: 4,687
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovalcson View Post
I'm looking forward to January!

Thanks for all the hard work guys!
very cool, and I'm really anxious to see what results you guys get once you get them.

One question that has been bugging me about this setup though.......what happens when January comes and goes? They have all of your money for a product that wasn't immediately shipped, and the 45 days with Pay Pal is long gone, so you have no recourse.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect Skookum to screw anyone, but wouldn't a deposit of some sort be more appropriate to hold a place in line for the first 25 rather than paying in full up front for an item whose estimated delivery has come and gone many, many times?

The only reason I didn't jump in was because I don't want my money being held hostage if they don't deliver on time.
Xrayted is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
mkovalcson
Registered Users
 
Posts: 12,749
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Knoxville, TN
Default

If the date slides it slides.

Meanwhile I'm supporting their efforts and I have no problem with that.
__________________
Mark

Enjoying all my helis
Current focus: Fly, Sim, and Design/Build my perfect charging box.....
mkovalcson is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
DMC970
Registered Users
 
Posts: 113
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: California
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovalcson View Post
If the date slides it slides.

Meanwhile I'm supporting their efforts and I have no problem with that.
+1
DMC970 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
Groucho_
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,028
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Europe
Default

In that case you have up to three months from the date of purchase to take it up with your issuing bank.
__________________
Henseleit TDR
Trex 550E
Trex 450 Pro
Blade mSR
Groucho_ is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
jamin_00
Registered Users
 
Posts: 4,597
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Essex, UK
Default

I know nothing about this, whats the deal?
__________________
The difference between knowing your s**t and knowing you're s**t!
Optipower - Kontronik Drives
jamin_00 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
Groucho_
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,028
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Europe
Default

You inform the bank that you effected a paypal purchase and have not received the merchandise.

They then initiate a chargeback procedure based on your declaration.

Within a week or two the funds are credited back to your account.
__________________
Henseleit TDR
Trex 550E
Trex 450 Pro
Blade mSR
Groucho_ is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #8
desertstalker
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho_ View Post
In that case you have up to three months from the date of purchase to take it up with your issuing bank.
One would assume that you would take it up with SK first, I doubt they have so many of these that they wouldn't just give you a refund if it was late. Very likely they could just sell it straight away to someone else.

Paypal complaints and CC chargebacks are a weapon of last resort. Over use them and people will stop accepting those methods of payment.
__________________
-DX8
-MSH MiniProtos Stretched, SK720, DS95/DS95i, Hyp 4S 25C 2500mAh
-MSH Protos Stretched, Brain, Hyp DS16/BLS251, 6S 3000mAh
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #9
Slyster
Registered Users
 
Posts: 39,417
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Maplewood, MN
Default

What is this going to do actually? A hard deck? How low can the deck be set? Will it work on the 540?
__________________
"It's not just a hobby... it's a lifestyle" - Pete
Goblin 500 + 700 / Blade 130x + MCPX BL / SK540 / Jives / DX8 / Quantum / RJX / 4010Duo
Slyster is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #10
mkovalcson
Registered Users
 
Posts: 12,749
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Knoxville, TN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
What is this going to do actually? A hard deck? How low can the deck be set? Will it work on the 540?
I don't think it will work on the 540 because it partially relies on the accelerometers in the SK-720. Also the SK-720 has a plug for the GPS clearly labeled on it, and I don't think the 540 has such a plug.
__________________
Mark

Enjoying all my helis
Current focus: Fly, Sim, and Design/Build my perfect charging box.....
mkovalcson is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #11
NewR
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: California
Default

Does not work with SK540. SK-GPS depends on the accelerometers in the SK720 for it to work.

If vibration presents during flight especially during hard 3D maneuvers that often confuses the unit (not sure about the new black version and hope that it is better), SL will be disabled without you knowing, then the gps unit would just become an extra piece of $500 dead weight. It would give you a false sense of security and does more harm than good.
__________________
Gravity Fighter
NewR is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:31 AM   #12
SMOKEMASTER60
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,646
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewR View Post
Does not work with SK540. SK-GPS depends on the accelerometers in the SK720 for it to work.

If vibration presents during flight especially during hard 3D maneuvers that often confuses the unit (not sure about the new black version and hope that it is better), SL will be disabled without you knowing, then the gps unit would just become an extra piece of $500 dead weight. It would give you a false sense of security and does more harm than good.

Wow, that is scary. I was interested in the Sk720 with GPS, but not if this is what I can expect. I have 2 HC3SX units that work perfect every single time I use them from any position. I will have to wait for Sk720 to catch up I guess.
SMOKEMASTER60 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:37 AM   #13
Groucho_
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,028
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Europe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
One would assume that you would take it up with SK first, I doubt they have so many of these that they wouldn't just give you a refund if it was late. Very likely they could just sell it straight away to someone else.

Paypal complaints and CC chargebacks are a weapon of last resort. Over use them and people will stop accepting those methods of payment.
I was just detailing the procedure.

Of course one would be asked by the bank to produce copies of correspondence with the vendor, PayPal etc.

I didn't feel there was any reason to go into specifics here, I was simply allaying the fears of the poster who rightly noted that PayPal's 45-day window to open a dispute would have passed.

Furthermore, having dealt with Art on a few occasions, I highly doubt any such problem scenario occurring with Skookum.
__________________
Henseleit TDR
Trex 550E
Trex 450 Pro
Blade mSR
Groucho_ is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #14
georgi UK
Registered Users
 
Posts: 10,253
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewR View Post
SK-GPS depends on the accelerometers in the SK720 for it to work.

If vibration presents during flight especially during hard 3D maneuvers that often confuses the unit (not sure about the new black version and hope that it is better), SL will be disabled without you knowing, then the gps unit would just become an extra piece of $500 dead weight. It would give you a false sense of security and does more harm than good.
=] I'm testing with a "deliberate" high vibe, the gps has never lost lock since day one using it, not once!

__________________
georgi UK
georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #15
NewR
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: California
Default

I have 5 SK units and with my limited skills, 3 of them will never have the SL disabled no matter what I do to it.

2 other ones howerver will disable SL in flight if I start throwing them around. The GPS unit won't help me in this situation will it?

These 2 are the ones that I am worried about. If I practice new moves, I often have to stop and do a quick test to make sure SL still work. If SL does not work anymore because of high vibe than I work just stick to what I know.
__________________
Gravity Fighter
NewR is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #16
georgi UK
Registered Users
 
Posts: 10,253
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewR View Post
I have 5 SK units and with my limited skills, 3 of them will never have the SL disabled no matter what I do to it.

2 other ones howerver will disable SL in flight if I start throwing them around. The GPS unit won't help me in this situation will it?

These 2 are the ones that I am worried about. If I practice new moves, I often have to stop and do a quick test to make sure SL still work. If SL does not work anymore because of high vibe than I work just stick to what I know.
=] we would do better here to find the vibe causing the shut down, got any logs we can look at?
__________________
georgi UK
georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #17
Luvmyhelis
Registered Users
 
Posts: 9,889
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: spokane,washington
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKEMASTER60 View Post
Wow, that is scary. I was interested in the Sk720 with GPS, but not if this is what I can expect. I have 2 HC3SX units that work perfect every single time I use them from any position. I will have to wait for Sk720 to catch up I guess.
Actually, it is quite the other way around. The new SK Gps is far more advanced in every sense than the HC3SX. I looked quite hard at this system myself and personally know guys using it. The fact that it works doesn't make it better though. Kind of like saying I can take my 92 Accord to the store to pick up some milk, or drive my M3 to the store. But for sure I will hit the twisties on the way with the latter of the two and loose a half inch of rubber on the way.

These are rough times for Skookum. This live data process is horrifically intense and is what I call a world class programming challenge. It has also bottlenecked Skookum. No Sk720s to sell, the black program release is also stalled. I have not a single doubt cashflow is tight right now. And the pressure cooker is on high. I can flat out promise the midnight oil has been brightly burning at Skookum Robotics.

I will not be able to afford one of these for quite a while myself. So my interests in this are purely intellectual. But I still will place even cash on the fact that this system will blow away most the competition when it finally gets released. I have no doubts there will still be a nagging few tics here and there that will need to be addressed. Just going by the track record with all the companies doing this btw. And when it does hit, I think it will be highly interesting to see the results hit the mainstream instead of snippets from the beta testers I get to see along the way.
__________________
Jeti, Soko, Koll, 800Triabolo, Gob700 @ SHS800, Trex600,Chase360 Sk720B/540/360 YGE/YEP/MKS/Outrage/Turnigy RcTek Boca Herc/Gryphon/ScottGray Scorp/KDE/Kontronik Tenax Lynx
Luvmyhelis is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #18
NewR
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: California
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcallister View Post
=] we would do better here to find the vibe causing the shut down, got any logs we can look at?
Thanks for the offer Georgi! Don't have any latest logs. Actually, I still have 3.10 and log is turned off as advised by SK and have not updated to 3.15. Heli has been sitting for a while now because I am afraid to fly it without having SL to bail me out when I need. Don't want to risk crashing my Kasama. If I remember correctly, it is the high freq that indicated something in the tail and have not had much time to mess with it. When I do, I will sure seek your help! Supports from SK and this forum is stellar!!!
__________________
Gravity Fighter
NewR is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #19
SMOKEMASTER60
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,646
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Actually, it is quite the other way around. The new SK Gps is far more advanced in every sense than the HC3SX. I looked quite hard at this system myself and personally know guys using it. The fact that it works doesn't make it better though. Kind of like saying I can take my 92 Accord to the store to pick up some milk, or drive my M3 to the store. But for sure I will hit the twisties on the way with the latter of the two and loose a half inch of rubber on the way.
I don't mean to bash on Skookum since I have never used one and I know they are a quality company. But for my money, something that works better does make it better. I use my HC3SX units to fly a lot harder than I should because I know 100% that Captain Rescue will save me if I need it. I fly around in real life like a sim and have improved greatly since getting the units. If the Sk720 shuts its SL off randomly, that is a deal breaker in my book. I need to know it will work 100% of the time. Maybe the new Black edition will be better, as I would like to try one out.

Happy flying
SMOKEMASTER60 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #20
Luvmyhelis
Registered Users
 
Posts: 9,889
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: spokane,washington
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewR View Post
Thanks for the offer Georgi! Don't have any latest logs. Actually, I still have 3.10 and log is turned off as advised by SK and have not updated to 3.15. Heli has been sitting for a while now because I am afraid to fly it without having SL to bail me out when I need. Don't want to risk crashing my Kasama. If I remember correctly, it is the high freq that indicated something in the tail and have not had much time to mess with it. When I do, I will sure seek your help! Supports from SK and this forum is stellar!!!
Shoot, my heli flew better on 3:10 than it did on 3:15. I wished they had a rollback honestly.

I haven't had the SL not work. Either on the beta test 3:08/9, the Vs 10 nor the 3:15. But the logging. I continued to get short sub 30 sec flight logs if I had more than one flight log stored. No tail problems either. Plus I battled two units that wouldn't fly out of setup mode. Meaning they stayed flying with slow servo movements. Maybe due to my non existent vibes? Not sure? But even then SL worked just fine. Unless by your post the heli is vibrating? Then just address that and fly with a grin! Especially if you still have 3:10 which I personally loved.

Really, when I looked at the HC systems. No logging? I cannot live without it in my pursuit of perfection. It would feel like flying in my undies. I do know they work as I have friends flying with them here at HF. It would be like me when I was wrenching for a living in my younger days. No diagnostic equipment? Unthinkable.
__________________
Jeti, Soko, Koll, 800Triabolo, Gob700 @ SHS800, Trex600,Chase360 Sk720B/540/360 YGE/YEP/MKS/Outrage/Turnigy RcTek Boca Herc/Gryphon/ScottGray Scorp/KDE/Kontronik Tenax Lynx
Luvmyhelis is offline        Reply With Quote
Reply




Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics


Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Copyright © 2004-2011 - William James - Helifreak.com