Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE


Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos > MSH Mini Protos


MSH Mini Protos MSH Mini Protos Helicopter Support Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
dl5973
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney Australia
Default 3s motor on mi ni Protos

I just got myself a mini P

I use to fly the trex 450 with scirpion 8 and scorpion 6 motor.

I was just wondering how does the stock 3s motor compare? i cant find any specs on this motor

Is it similar to the scorpion 8 or scorpion 6 motor.?
dl5973 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
rossk
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,419
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Australia
Default

I dont know those motors, or the stock 3S even, I went straight to the stock 6S motor and havent looked back, sorry I cant help.
__________________
Minicopter Diabolo - Kosmik 200 Cool, Pyro 800 Comp TREX 700E - DFC Pro HV, Kosmik 200, 850MX
TT E820 - Kosmik 200, Scorp 5035 TT G4.1(x2) - OS 91 3D Speed, Hatori
MSH Brains + JETI DS-16
rossk is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
dl5973
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossk View Post
I dont know those motors, or the stock 3S even, I went straight to the stock 6S motor and havent looked back, sorry I cant help.
no worries

Im just curious because im use to the scorpion 6 on 3s. This motor peaks around 750 watts on hard puch outs where as the scorpion 8 was about 150 watts less.
dl5973 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
Thalios
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Quebec City, Canada
Default

The 3S motor is great, but requires really powerful batteries (REAL 45C+) to be able to keep up.

I was running Gens Ace 25C and it was really bogging. With my new Desire Power 60C, it's a whole different thing.
Thalios is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
dl5973
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney Australia
Default

I know which scorpion motor is stock on 3s its the HK2221-12.

This motor is rated 400wats max cntinuous

The stock Trex 450m pro motor is arted at 500 watts.

Im surprised the nini protos motor is 100 watts less. That is a considerable amount.
dl5973 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
scott s
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: malabar fl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl5973 View Post
I know which scorpion motor is stock on 3s its the HK2221-12.

This motor is rated 400wats max cntinuous

The stock Trex 450m pro motor is arted at 500 watts.

Im surprised the nini protos motor is 100 watts less. That is a considerable amount.
Ya but due to the difference in gearing between rex 450 and mini, the mini needs a motor with more tourqe which is what you get with the stock mini 3s motor vs stock rex motor. In essence the max watts is a bit errelavant here.
Also the 450m is rated at approx. 400 watts. It is the 450mx that has a higher watt rating and having seen the 450mx motors fly in several helis I cant help to think that the numbers are shall we say a bit inflated lol!
scott s is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
dl5973
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott s View Post
Ya but due to the difference in gearing between rex 450 and mini, the mini needs a motor with more tourqe which is what you get with the stock mini 3s motor vs stock rex motor. In essence the max watts is a bit errelavant here.
Also the 450m is rated at approx. 400 watts. It is the 450mx that has a higher watt rating and having seen the 450mx motors fly in several helis I cant help to think that the numbers are shall we say a bit inflated lol!
ok well how does the stock 3s motor compare then?

I had a scorpion 8 rated at 45 amps and on a 450 pro and it was good but i wanted more power and torque so I went to scorpion 6 motor. scorpion 6 motor is unboggable on 450 pro and 3s lipo where as i could bog the scorpion 8 motor.

form all comparisons the scorpion 8 motor and 450mx motor were similar in performance.

Will the stock 3s motor for protos be enough or do I need to go 6s?
dl5973 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
scott s
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: malabar fl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl5973 View Post
ok well how does the stock 3s motor compare then?

I had a scorpion 8 rated at 45 amps and on a 450 pro and it was good but i wanted more power and torque so I went to scorpion 6 motor. scorpion 6 motor is unboggable on 450 pro and 3s lipo where as i could bog the scorpion 8 motor.

form all comparisons the scorpion 8 motor and 450mx motor were similar in performance.

Will the stock 3s motor for protos be enough or do I need to go 6s?
If you are not gonna stretch, the stock motor if very good but you need good batteries. The mini protos drive train has more drag than the gear driven mains of the trex. It is a small trade off for quietness and way less vibration. I would not run anything less than 45c discharge rated packs IMO
Personaly I think 6s and stretched is the only way to go on this bird LOL!
scott s is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #9
dl5973
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott s View Post
If you are not gonna stretch, the stock motor if very good but you need good batteries. The mini protos drive train has more drag than the gear driven mains of the trex. It is a small trade off for quietness and way less vibration. I would not run anything less than 45c discharge rated packs IMO
Personaly I think 6s and stretched is the only way to go on this bird LOL!
I was thinking going stretched after I trash my boom in a crash
dl5973 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #10
dl5973
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney Australia
Default

Here is a comparison of all the scorpion motors available for 450 heli's on 3s

Please note the stock mini P motor is the scorpion hk2221-12 motor.


As I suspected the 3s stock motor on mini p is not enough for hard 3d you will need to go the 4s motor .

I will just go the the 6s set up.



Each of the Scorpion HK-2221 helicopter motors are designed for specific performance on a certain number of Li-Po cells.



The -6 model is the highest Kv, and is designed for maximum 3D performance on 3 Li-Po cells



The -8 model is designed for Sport flying and moderate 3d on 3 Li-Po cells



The -10 model is designed for Sport flying with a 4 blade head on 3 Li-Po cells, or as a max 3D motor on 4 Li-Po cells



The -12 model is designed as a Sport and moderate 3D motor for 4 Li-Po cells



The -1630 motor is designed for sport flying and moderate 3D on 6 Li-Po cells



The -2010 motor is designed for extreme 3D on 6 Li-Po cells.



If you intend on running a 3-cell Li-Po pack, then the HK-2221-6 is the highest power motor available, and you will want tu run a 60 amp ESC with it.
dl5973 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #11
dl5973
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott s View Post
Ya but due to the difference in gearing between rex 450 and mini, the mini needs a motor with more tourqe which is what you get with the stock mini 3s motor vs stock rex motor. In essence the max watts is a bit errelavant here.
Also the 450m is rated at approx. 400 watts. It is the 450mx that has a higher watt rating and having seen the 450mx motors fly in several helis I cant help to think that the numbers are shall we say a bit inflated lol!
Looks like you should not be bagging out the 500mx motor. I have flown one and its similar to scorpion 8 motor which is rated at 475watts on 3s Lipo.

The stock motor on mini p is rated at 400w on 3s. Its less powerful than the Trex 450 stock motor.

Its unfortunate becasue of the mini P gearing the scorpion 12 motor is the only one you can use on 3s.
dl5973 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #12
scott s
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: malabar fl
Default

lol. which is it 450m, 450mx or 500mx ??
scott s is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:35 AM   #13
dl5973
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott s View Post
lol. which is it 450m, 450mx or 500mx ??
not important

you can stick a scorpion 8 or scorpion 6 motor in 450 pro

mini pro is limited to one motor for 3s.


450 mx motor
Input voltageC7.4-14.8V 2-4cell Li-Po
¸Max continuous current:46A/68A(5sec)
¸Max output power:Approx. 500w/730W(5sec)
¸KV value:3400KV
¸Dimension:spindle 3.5x29.2x38mm
¸Weight:Approx. 83g


450 m motor

Input voltage: DC7.4-14.8V 2-4 Cell Li-Po
Max Continuous Current: 39A
Max Output Power: Approx. 400w
KV Value: 3500KV
Spindle Dimensions: 3.5 x 28 x 37.5mm
Weight: 76g
dl5973 is offline        Reply With Quote
Reply




Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos > MSH Mini Protos


MSH Mini Protos MSH Mini Protos Helicopter Support Forum

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Copyright © 2004-2011 - William James - Helifreak.com