Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:45 AM   #1
johara45
Registered Users

Default 460MX dominator 6s motor 1800kv:Where to start?

Hello everyone, I been searching for a few days on the detailed specs on the 460MX 1800kv motor to setup with a Hobbywing Platinum Pro V3 esc without any success on where to start. I already found a post that its a 6 pole motor and should be ran at 12khz for PWM. Is this specs correct? I found in my esc manual that the only setting available for the PWM frequency goes straight from 8 to 16 khz then followed by 24 and 32 khz. I'm not sure which one to start with as there isn't an option for 12 or even 10 khz. I was also unable to find out which timing to use. I contacted the esc manufacturer for some assistance, but they weren't of any help stating that I should use default settings, but the default PWM is chosen at 32khz which seems high from what I read. I guess since this esc is relatively new, the hobbywing esc thread also doesn't have much info for me to use to set it up.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks
johara45 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:49 PM   #2
Yfbb
Registered Users

I would suggest playing around with the settings. The thing probably won't self destruct if the settings aren't optimal. Besides, the "optimal" setting may vary from user to user.
Yfbb is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
johara45
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yfbb View Post
I would suggest playing around with the settings. The thing probably won't self destruct if the settings aren't optimal. Besides, the "optimal" setting may vary from user to user.
Ok, thanks!!
Old 05-01-2014, 09:25 PM   #4
Bladecpnitro
Registered Users

I'd start at 8 PWM and 18 degree timing or low timing if that is the choice.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:07 AM   #5
johara45
Registered Users

Hello everyone trying to now install the ESC, But unless I can extend the motor wires, I don't think it'll work. Not a very good picture but the esc is attached to the bullets and pushed back toward the motor as far as it'll go, clearly it wont clear the battery release latch. Thought it would be the perfect alternative for fitment into the Dominator. Is lengthening the motor wires a bad idea on the esc side?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	506129  
Old 05-03-2014, 07:29 AM   #6
Mr.Andersen
Registered Users

Keep your motor cables as chort as possible, its running high powered high frequenzy signals there and the longer the cables are the greater the electromagnetic feald get.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:20 AM   #7
DiceK
Registered Users

General thought is that lengthening the ESC to motor wires is fine, just don't lengthen the ESC to battery wires. This is a common thing with the goblin guys.

While it is true the alternating current that passed through the motor wires generates a greater level of magnetic flux with the constants changing field strength, the overall strength of the field is lower, but more importantly the voltage flux into the ESC does not change, also you are proportionally making a smaller change in distance as the motor wires extend into the windings which are already quite long, where as the battery to ESC connectors are short.

So basically what I'm saying is, easiest way to do this would be to just solder up some extension wires with bullets for the motor to ESC connection. Hope the Hobbywing does well for you!

Edit:
Also try fitting it with the ESC tray in, when mine is in my 450MX motor wires stick almost straight up, which helps with the wiring issues.
DiceK is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #8
johara45
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiceK View Post
General thought is that lengthening the ESC to motor wires is fine, just don't lengthen the ESC to battery wires. This is a common thing with the goblin guys.

While it is true the alternating current that passed through the motor wires generates a greater level of magnetic flux with the constants changing field strength, the overall strength of the field is lower, but more importantly the voltage flux into the ESC does not change, also you are proportionally making a smaller change in distance as the motor wires extend into the windings which are already quite long, where as the battery to ESC connectors are short.

So basically what I'm saying is, easiest way to do this would be to just solder up some extension wires with bullets for the motor to ESC connection. Hope the Hobbywing does well for you!

Edit:
Also try fitting it with the ESC tray in, when mine is in my 450MX motor wires stick almost straight up, which helps with the wiring issues.
Thanks DiceK, do you think that 2 inches on all three leads is to much to extend? Cutting down the esc motor wires also sounds like an idea, but a little uncomfortable cutting them that short, I would think that the wires might end up being less than an inch and a half in length and would have difficult time taking off the esc if I needed to.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:34 PM   #9
DiceK
Registered Users

I personally wouldn't have a problem with 2" extensions as long as:
A) the wire is of good quality
B) the connectors are soldered well and of good quality.

One bad joint and you will have a ton of problems, that's probably the biggest risk with the extensions, soldering the 6 connectors. But if you have decent soldering skills you should be good to go.
DiceK is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:07 AM   #10
johara45
Registered Users

Thanks DiceK!!
Old 05-18-2014, 10:57 PM   #11
Jmann841
Registered Users

Johara, where in hawaii are you?

I just set up my Align 460mx with the hobbywing V3. currently trying to figure out what PWM and timing to go with as well.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.