Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Helicopter Safety

Helicopter Safety R/C Helicopter Safety

Old 04-17-2008, 03:16 PM   #21
JaggedEdge
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa.alpha View Post
My transmitter doesn't have a "crash into head" button, but has numerous "crash into ground" buttons. I know I've found them way too many times.

phil
or missing that switch you're supposed to hit before it crashes into the ground.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
917540 -
1003 -

JaggedEdge is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:45 PM   #22
Megahertz
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Personally I just push up up down down left right left right B A Start and I get 30 heli lives.

(wonder how many will get the reference)

In any event, it's sad to hear what happened. I haven't read up on any of the story's but how accomplished was the pilot? Was it just a freak accident or was the pilot just careless?

I've seen videos of Alan Szabo and the like flying pretty close to themselves and doing crazy stunts, and granted they're very proficient at flying, I have to wonder about the consequences of something happening like a link popping off or some other mechanical failure that could be disastrous.

I have nothing but respect for those guys, but sometimes I wonder if that's something that's always in the back of their mind when flying.
Megahertz is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:10 PM   #23
Aox
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahertz View Post
Personally I just push up up down down left right left right B A Start and I get 30 heli lives.
Konami code for the win!

-Aox
Aox is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #24
foggy
Registered Users

Quote:
i was only trying to land it on my head like in the youtube video!
famous last words!!
foggy is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:46 PM   #25
Tim Smith
Registered Users

I call my little 450's the finger wackers ,and the 600 nirto I call the ARM CHOPPER !
And rightly so ,Just ask our heli freak friend with the Massive Calf Filet from the back of his Leg. WHo nearly bled to death
Tim Smith is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:46 AM   #26
jeffk464
Registered Users

Default What size gets really dangerous

At what size do these things things become lethal/maiming machines. Nitro I'm sure has the power to do major damage and I'm sure the trex 600 with CF blades is capable of it to. But what about the the trex 500 or the hurricane 550 with wood blades. Finally what about the really little guys like the belt cp with wood blades.

I have the belt cp (never flown) and was thinking about getting the hurricane because I think it would be easier to learn on. I really don't want to get the hurricane if it might accidentally cut my head off or something.
jeffk464 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:09 AM   #27
redgiki
Registered Users

I started to post the math for the force required to decapitate an average man... and decided against it. So here's a handy chart. It should be read in your best "overly concerned mother" voice.

Picooz/sub-mini-micro heli: You might get a papercut, dear.
Blade CX: Ooh, I believe that might scar if we don't put some antibiotic ointment and a Band-Aid on it right away!
Blade CP/Hurricane 200: Those are some terrible gashes on your face! Ooh, I don't know if that eye will ever heal.
Blade 400/T-Rex 450: Hold the wound closed to slow the bleeding while we race to the emergency room for stitches. Try not to bleed on the upholstery, darling.
Raptor 30/Hurricane 550/Trex 500: Well, I always thought bones were much whiter than that on the inside. You learn something new every day! I think we can save the leg if you don't bleed to death first. Someone needs to find that finger, too, I think the doctor can stitch it back on. Let's fetch some ice!
Raptor 50/Trex 600 and larger: Well, if it hadn't hit him in the neck, it wouldn't have been so bad. What color do you think is best for the casket?

Yeah, it's morbid, but anything around 40/50 size or larger can certainly kill or maim with ease. Anything bigger than a Picooz is nowhere near "safe". I think the maximum size that you can reasonably expect not to visit the emergency room if you hit yourself with the heli is right around E-Flite Blade CP or Gaui Hurricane 200 size. And even with those... you can chop your finger open and need plenty of stitches!

redgiki is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:08 PM   #28
F1Atom
Registered Users

Thumbs down

Quote: "A 44-year-old man underwent emergency brain surgery after he was hit by a remote-controlled toy helicopter yesterday."
I really don't like they used remote-controlled "TOY" helicopter. I think they should of used "model" instead of toy. These things are not toys. It even says that in the manual. People don't understand.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:53 AM   #29
tz250w
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If a Hirobo Eagle 90 is a "toy", I guess that makes my Sceadu Evo a Cracker Jack "prize"... :o

Man, I hope that guy recovered. That was not good.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:33 AM   #30
cbdane
Registered Users

Our machinist at work reads a Chinese daily and I believe that he read that sometime later the gentleman died. If not, it was another incident, but I doubt it.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:36 AM   #31
tz250w
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Damn... I guess I'm not surprised. He did not look good.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #32
CNCjunkie
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Victim Awarded HK$8m

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Heli_accident.JPG
Views:	399
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	302891  
Old 03-29-2012, 01:02 AM   #33
Volcano

I witnessed a guy hit himself in the head witha trex 600 Elevator reversed in radio and he pitch pumped it on takeoff. Thankfully he only got a few stitches, the center of the disc got him and not the edge.
Volcano is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:52 AM   #34
Velislide
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So wait. Chinese guy lets his friend, who apparently sounds like he doesnt have much experience flying these, fly his 90 size heli....??? His friend now it states. Then later on wants to sue his FRIEND for 8 million, for an accident? Nice guy, sounds like they are both at fault. Thats like giving some kid a loaded gun with no training.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:15 AM   #35
felborn
Registered Users

What we fly is considered a toy to anyone outside of the hobby, thats just the way the world works. If anything I'm surprised this does not happen more often. The trend with smackflying inchesof the ground and with hurricans blasting half a meter away from your face, the odds of the helicopters smacking into you rises.
felborn is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #36
Mikecanoe
Registered Users

This comes from Wikipedia. "A toy is any object that can be used for play."
Can toys be dangerous? You bet. High horsepower cars and boats, guns and other things that go boom, the list is endless. There is no shame in play or in owning and playing with our toys. I don't think we need to get defensive when people call them toys.
Mikecanoe is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #37
zadaw
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velislide View Post
So wait. Chinese guy lets his friend, who apparently sounds like he doesnt have much experience flying these, fly his 90 size heli....??? His friend now it states. Then later on wants to sue his FRIEND for 8 million, for an accident? Nice guy, sounds like they are both at fault. Thats like giving some kid a loaded gun with no training.

At the beginning, it was reported that the victim himself was actually flying the helicopter. But that was made by the perpetrator in a bid to get off completely. The victim was actually an competition winning heli pilot, but in this instance did not handle the transmitter at all. The helicopter did not belong to the victim but to the perpetrator. He was hit on the back of his head as he was heading towards the car. .

Following an appeal for witnesses on RC forums in Hong Kong, the police were given the correct version of events. The perpetrator was lucky not to be charged with perjury. But he has now sold everything and absconded.

I have personally met the victim a few times more than 10 years ago, well before the accident. He took part in a recent television program. He is now able to talk normally but is still paralyzed on one side and wheelchair bound. However, he is making some slow progress and hopes to walk again one day.
zadaw is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Helicopter Safety

Helicopter Safety R/C Helicopter Safety